62kwh Leaf Plus Efficiency Posting

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is another L3 charger south of the Hampton Inn one, in Brattleboro, which would give you a longer road trip. Easy walk to all of downtown Bratt, FWIW..... I have gotten just about the same M/KWH on this trip at sixty as at seventy, counterintuitive I know but hard to argue with.....

April Stats;

Miles; 1668.2

kwh LEAF; 424.05
miles/kwh LEAF; 3.93 (dropped from previous month despite warmer weather but as you will see below, this is mostly "unabated" freeway driving)

DC charging; 400.24 kwh
AC Charging; 66 kwh (home meter only shows whole kwh after 9.99 kwh)

Total cost; $5.57 (Due to rapidly dwindling EVgo/Nissan perk)

ADJUSTMENT! :shock:

Yep, its that time of the Quarter; Lost 1.3% SOH (MUCH better than first adjustment) and we are at a watershed moment of sorts since previous quarter was 94% DC charging. This upcoming Quarter "looks" like it may end of being the reverse with nearly all AC charging.

FYI; As mentioned above, most of my driving has been freeway since I am working at different location temporarily (more money) but also receiving travel pay which gained me $836 and change...tax free. That alone accounted for nearly 1500 miles of my driving total so before you say "Stay home, DAVE!"

Realize my average distance driven on my 3 days off was roughly 31 miles with most of that on two trips; A birthday party and BBQ (each event had 6 people or less)

My April was 277 miles and 4.7 miles kWh. Mainly short runs on lower speed streets in light traffic. A few highway runs with the 2 permit laden teenagers, but would say that was not more than 20% of the driving. Battery at 50F or above still seems to be that magic temp where you get most of your efficiency back.

I am now checking my battery daily to try to catch the adjustment day. It should be any day now.

Also Nissan Connect seems to be missing more of my drives in the app.

what speeds is everyone doing that they are getting these ranges? i'm looking at doing 75-85mph on the highway with the sl plus.
Should i be worried about having to charge 100% everyday and losing range in the near future?

Highways near me are 55 and 60 mph, so I am usually at under 65 unless going far.

I did try to replicate the test that Tom from Inside EVs did, and got a similar 3.4 miles per kilowatt when maintaining 70mph continually and not in traffic. If I am doing long trips, I generally try to stay with a group of traffic for some mild slip stream gains. I have 220 mile trips between 65-70 staying with traffic in the summer with minimal AC. If going to the extreme, it’s good to use Leafspy so you know how much you really have left as the car keeps almost 10% hidden below 1%.

From the board data, there does not seem to be any significant evidence that the car does any worse with degradation when charging to 100% daily (in spite of Tesla’s warnings to its customer base for their cars. Leaf may keep a bigger buffer).

My May economy 4.3 miles per kWh. 518 miles traveled.

Should i be worried about having to charge 100% everyday and losing range in the near future?

To expand on what Doug wrote, as long as you time it so that you start driving not more than an hour or two after the charge reaches 100%, you should be fine. I would avoid letting it sit at 100% for long, especially not for days, and especially not in Hot weather.

oldschoola said:
what speeds is everyone doing that they are getting these ranges? i'm looking at doing 75-85mph on the highway with the sl plus.

You need to take everyone's numbers with a huge grain of salt

I have almost never gotten anywhere near what people say I should. In town I do fairly well in my non-plus 2018 model, but even day to day it can vary. One morning to work I might get 5.8 miles / kWh. The next day using the AC and unlucky on stop lights I might get barely 4. And with the heater running as low as 3.5.

But one thing I know for sure is that on the open road, the highway, I get a pretty steady average of 3.3 miles per kWh. How other people seem to get ridiculously higher efficiency makes one wonder. I even raised the tire pressure on my tires, and it might have helped a bit, but I still get around 3.3 on the highway. Now if you want to do 60 miles per hour and risk impalement from behind by a semi truck, higher efficiency might be possible. Everyone's terrain and conditions vary wildly as well, so you won't really know until you drive your route. I will say, A Better Route Planner seems to agree with my results quite well, so you could use that tool to gauge what you should be expecting.

Good Luck!

1325.7 miles, 322.4 kwh (from dash), 4.11 miles/kwh. Home L2 use; 236 kwh, $20.41 (This is more than 5X greater than any monthly home charging bill)

To note; Using only the last 2 weeks of the month starting with the dry spell (8 of 9 days) on May 18th, my average is 4.5 miles per kwh. The lower overall monthly is primarily due to my 75 mph sprints home when I was labor sharing.

Heading out to climb the ROCK! but before that, I will post June which was good.

miles; 1396.9
kwh used 300.61
miles/kwh 4.65
Home charging; 320 kwh (all time record for plus)
Public charging cost $6.50 (16.4 cents per kwh)
Home cost $27.68
Cost; 2.44 cents per mile.

Edit; Fixing typo's

Our SV+ is at 4.7 miles/kWh over 422 miles. (I have noticed that the app now somtimes misses drives, not sure why that has started happening)

Our S+ doesn't have connect, but over the past 200+ miles. Dash is reading 5.3 miles/kWh and almost half of that was freeway at 65-70mph. Now because of the tire diameter difference, that really probably puts you at 5.2 or 5.15 (as if the .3 was exact), but still a solid 10% better with faster speeds than our SV+. (but less AC) GOM is reading at this moment 111 miles with 34% left. Now if we could just stop those pesky quarterly BMS changes.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/437741293059829?view=permalink&id=1577149889118958

Yesterday, we skirted the Columbia and did some hiking and climbing. The drive was 65 mph (cruise control) on I-5 to Vancouver then sideways to Beacon Rock Park. Last 20ish miles coming and going single lane MAJOR twisties and trucks so speeds averaged maybe 40 mph. Hit some congestion coming home so speeds again lower. 65-70 mph home with a 14 minute charge/pee stop and finished the day with 300 miles but at 4.3 miles per kwh.

On earlier trip to Vancouver with dry sunny weather and speeds a bit faster, averaged 4.7 miles/kwh.

Moral of the story; Spend less time checking the speedometer and more time checking the weather report.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Our SV+ is at 4.7 miles/kWh over 422 miles. (I have noticed that the app now somtimes misses drives, not sure why that has started happening)

Our S+ doesn't have connect, but over the past 200+ miles. Dash is reading 5.3 miles/kWh and almost half of that was freeway at 65-70mph. Now because of the tire diameter difference, that really probably puts you at 5.2 or 5.15 (as if the .3 was exact), but still a solid 10% better with faster speeds than our SV+. (but less AC) GOM is reading at this moment 111 miles with 34% left. Now if we could just stop those pesky quarterly BMS changes.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/437741293059829?view=permalink&id=1577149889118958

We also have an S Plus, no heat pump but more efficient year 'round...... might actually net out about the same even tho we live in a cold climate.....

June 2020
3.7 mi/kWh
1096.28 miles

Compared to last June which was 3.9 mi/kWh and we drove ~1600 miles, I think you can tell we're just enjoying the car more this summer since it's our escape from lockdown life and less concerned about economy.

June 2020 2019 S+

1214 miles 4.6 m/kwh

mostly batting around small dirt roads and curvy mountain highways, no AC or heat yet....

interesting that 3 similar cars are getting between 3.7 and 5.3- I suspect we all drive pretty conservatively....

dmacarthur said:
June 2020 2019 S+

1214 miles 4.6 m/kwh

mostly batting around small dirt roads and curvy mountain highways, no AC or heat yet....

interesting that 3 similar cars are getting between 3.7 and 5.3- I suspect we all drive pretty conservatively....

This is normal. VERY few people understand how to drive efficiently. If you are always driving in the same gear, you are not getting the best numbers but that choice is highly individualist. I know people who would be dangerous on the road if they were constantly monitoring speed, power levels, following distances and gear choices.

Believe it or not, some people think cruise control is the most efficient way to drive and for some... it just might be!

June Stats

SV+ 4.7 miles/kWh. 473miles My wife runs a lot of AC

S+ ~5.3 miles/kWh. ~400 miles Some AC. 50% highway/freeway. (4.7-4.8 highway/freeway. 5.6-5.7 local roads). Freeway here is 55mph so you rarely go above 65. Some Wisconsin driving at 70mph.

My key to efficiency locally is timing lights and maintaining momentum. The same drive could be 4.5 or 6.5 depending on the number of stop and go. Minimal AC and heat only below 0 (you ask F or C, my answer is yes). Accelerate gently, but the saving their is more reducing unnecessary velocity. Medium acceleration vs. Slow acceleration doesn't change economy very much. Heavy acceleration does hurt a bit. On the highway minimize time driving alone; stay with a group of cars/trucks. Try to level power output letting speed drift. Try very hard to prevent regen. Keep it under 70 u less going downhill or heavy tailwind.

Good weather is key. 90F is more efficienct than 70F as that air density matters. Wear sandles and shorts if its hot.

July on our SV+ per nissan connect:

4.4 miles per kWh. 299 miles

We put something over 1000 miles on our S+ with multiple 200 mile day trips. Not sure what overall efficiency was, but would guess upper 4s given amount of freeway driving.

Back