Route AC over battery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DougWantsALeaf said:
Look at this experiment routing the AC into the rear void.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/247364142001101?view=permalink&id=1968271466577018

Can you give a brief description for people who are not part of that Facebook group or part of any facebook groups?

Sorry, the woman from the link blocked her air vents and ran a shop vacuum tube through the center console to the read hump to push AC air into battery area.

She said she saw less rapidgating as a result. As she was in Nevada and often was driving at 110 ambient, her DC charging often was constricted to 12kW. Post modification she would get 20 and 30kW charge rates and saw lower battery Temps.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Sorry, the woman from the link blocked her air vents and ran a shop vacuum tube through the center console to the read hump to push AC air into battery area.

She said she saw less rapidgating as a result. As she was in Nevada and often was driving at 110 ambient, her DC charging often was constricted to 12kW. Post modification she would get 20 and 30kW charge rates and saw lower battery Temps.

Given the mass of the battery, I wonder if these folks are just tricking the temp sensors into not realizing how hot the pack is getting...?

its a valid question. I guess you would have to stop the air and see if the car idle had the temp sensors go back up. You only need a few extra degrees C off the battery to make a difference. Especially if hours between stops.

LeftieBiker said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

Given the mass of the battery, I wonder if these folks are just tricking the temp sensors into not realizing how hot the pack is getting...?

The sensors are embedded in the modules. There is probably a bigger heat gradient, meaning the modules with sensors are cooler, but the inner cells and rear stack may be warmer than measured.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Is there a diagram somewhere to see where the battery sensors are?

This video shows them fairly well. If you watch on YT, the table of contents splits the video so you can find the individual segments. Temperature sensor installation starts at 1:12:15. Earlier on, somewhere in the video, the way the temperature probe actually pokes into each module is shown.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYQJatWpBXY

Interesting. So they are just sensors on specific units. In a rebuild it seems you could wire each unit.

Guessing in the 3 sensor set up, its just the one in the center of the rear pack, which would explain why it takes so long for it to come down in temp.

This would make me think the air over the battery would mKe a difference as if the center temp sensor only came down couple degrees' the outsides would be lower yet.

Hmm

Back