Hydrogen and FCEVs discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
World’s Largest Green Hydrogen Project Unveiled in Saudi Arabia
Air Products, the world’s leading hydrogen producer, plans to power a huge green hydrogen plant using 4 gigawatts of Saudi renewable electricity.

https://www-greentechmedia-com.cdn....unveils-worlds-largest-green-hydrogen-project

Air Products & Chemicals . . . announced plans on Tuesday to build a green hydrogen plant in Saudi Arabia powered by 4 gigawatts of wind and solar power, the world's largest such project announced so far.

The $5 billion plant will be jointly owned by Air Products, Saudi Arabia's ACWA Power and Neom, a new mega-city planned near Saudi Arabia’s borders with Egypt and Jordan.

The completed facility will produce 650 tons of green hydrogen daily, enough to run around 20,000 hydrogen-fueled buses, Air Products said. The fuel will be shipped as ammonia to end markets globally then converted back to hydrogen. Ammonia production is expected to start in 2025. . . .

The project would be a big step forward for Saudi Arabia's ambition for Neom to become an important global center for renewable energy and green hydrogen. The country is establishing Neom as a special economic zone, with an ambition to host 1 million people from around the world. "This is a pivotal moment for the development of Neom and a key element in Saudi Vision 2030 contributing to the Kingdom’s clean energy and circular carbon economy strategy," Neom CEO Nadhmi Al Nasr said in a statement.

Speaking to analysts on a conference call on Tuesday, Air Products CEO Seifi Ghasemi said the company is confident the project will be viable without subsidies given the accelerating global race for low-carbon transport fuels. Any government support would be "icing on the cake."

“There are 260 million commercial vehicles in the world. If 1 percent converts to hydrogen, you end up with huge numbers that would require 50 plants like this," Ghasemi said. "We’ve been working on this for four years, and our strategy was to be the first to build a mega-scale plant. . . ."

Asked whether the project economics would stand up to current hydrogen prices, Ghasemi said yes, before correcting himself and saying that green hydrogen will garner a premium.

Green hydrogen is currently uncompetitive with its gray cousin, which is produced using natural gas. Competitively priced green hydrogen will require low power prices and high electrolyzer utilization rates. Air Products believes it can secure both with a large pool of offtakers and access to Saudi Arabia’s vast renewable energy resources. . . .

German's thyssenkrupp will supply the electrolyzers. Last month the company revealed its electrolyzer manufacturing capacity had reached 1 gigawatt, with the option to ramp up further. Norwegian firm Nel and the U.K.’s ITM Power are also developing electrolyzer gigafactories.

A number of major oil and industrial players are rapidly accelerating their investments into green hydrogen. BP is studying the feasibility of an ammonia plant in Australia, powered by 1.5 gigawatts of wind and solar, previously thought to be the largest such plan.

"Hydrogen is not niche anymore," Christoph Noeres, head of energy storage and hydrogen at thyssenkrupp, told GTM in an email. “It will enable the sector coupling [required] to reach the Paris Agreement’s climate goals. Hydrogen has been identified to be the key element for sustainable fuels and chemicals and can reduce or avoid CO2 in sectors where electrification is not possible.”

GRA said:
WetEV said:
That's a very very funny way of saying those assertions are true. You made my morning.

It's a way of pointing out that the current situation isn't going to remain static. You seem to believe that only batteries will improve, while everything to do with H2 and fuel cells won't. This is completely unrealistic. The question is HOW MUCH each of them will improve and how much relative to the other, not whether they will.

Hydrogen cost makes hydrogen cars unattractive.

Hydrogen cost will always be several times the cost of renewable electric power used to produce it.

GRA said:
As I've pointed out over and over, it doesn't matter how efficient it is compared to directly charging batteries, if it provides capability that batteries lack but customers want.

Comparing batteries from 10 years ago with fuel cells of the future, sure.

Or looking to niche auto markets, like your needs. Yes, some sort of nonrechargable by electric but rechargeable by putting in "fuel" like hydrogen or aluminum-air batteries might be part of the far future, when ICE is either gone, or high priced burners of biofuels. For just the kind of niche that is your needs: long distances to very remote areas. Or perhaps plug in hybrids burning biofuels.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
GRA said:
Hydrogen car performance is quite typical of most cars now, and if anyone wanted to build an ultra high-performance FCEV they could. It's just a matter of providing a powerful enough motor along with a battery pack able to supply enough surge current to handle rapid accel. Someone undoubtedly will build one, eventually.

This "ultra high-performance FCEV" could be made even higher performance by just removing the fuel cells. Hydrogen has a good energy density, but fuel cells don't have a good power density.

Please define "good power density".

https://youtu.be/9bxwQeKhYXQ

Build a fuel cell car that can do 1/4 mile faster than this car. Get back to me. I'm convinced by working hardware. Get it working.

GRA said:
The reason people buy a Civic instead of a Model S (or some more expensive ICE) is because they can only afford a Civic.

Not always true. I owned a Civic, and could have afforded a more expensive ICE.

Even after posting direct experience showing that a single H2 dispenser can't serve more than 6 customers within an hour, and even after acknowledging that there's still no solution to the frozen nozzle problem (condensation is physics, you can't engineer around it without insulating everything), GRA still thinks some sort of PHFCEV would work and in large enough numbers that the economies of scale would reduce the price of H2 enough for it to be a viable.

If you can't serve more than 3 PHFCEV travelers within 30 mins, then a model Y would actually get you to your destination sooner than being the 4th driver to have pulled up to that H2 dispenser. The PHFCEV is going to be crippled by the limits of thermodynamics and economies of scale. Hydrogen isn't limited by technology, it's being limited by physics.

For the love of the environment, please switch to a BEV (I know you've "tried" it years ago, but a few years of infrastructure changes has a very dramatic effect on usability). Fuel Cells will never be a cost-efficient solution.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:
That's a very very funny way of saying those assertions are true. You made my morning.

It's a way of pointing out that the current situation isn't going to remain static. You seem to believe that only batteries will improve, while everything to do with H2 and fuel cells won't. This is completely unrealistic. The question is HOW MUCH each of them will improve and how much relative to the other, not whether they will.

Hydrogen cost will always be several times the cost of renewable electric power used to produce it.

So you've said, repeatedly. And as I've said repeatedly, that assumes two things: 1. That the price of H2 is more important to customers than the capability it provides, and 2. That electrolysis is the only way to produce renewables H2.

Neither if the above points is certain. If price were all important, no one would ever QC a BEV, or use public L2 FTM.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
As I've pointed out over and over, it doesn't matter how efficient it is compared to directly charging batteries, if it provides capability that batteries lack but customers want.

Comparing batteries from 10 years ago with fuel cells of the future, sure.

I'm comparing current batteries to current fuel cells, and possible future batteries to possible future fuel cells. No BEV provides the combination of range, rapid refueling and longevity of current FCEVs, but fuel cells are probably more expensive currently (we don't know how much the costs have come down, from $50k/stack several years back towards the $8-$11k Toyota was hoping to achieve as they increased annual production from 3 up to 30k), as is their fuel.

Stack costs will decrease even more once they get into true mass production (300k-3M annually), but even at $8-11k they should be comparable to ICE-competitive BEVs, which are forecast to achieve that once pack costs drop to $100/kWh in a few years (2023 by one forecast), which is to say a 100kWh pack will cost $10k then. Economies of scale are already dropping H2 fueling infrastructure costs.

So, price of renewable H2 will be the determining factor in FCEV success or failure, along with possible developments in batteries. Note, I'm ignoring possible/likely resource constraint issues in both techs here.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
We're already seeing that start to play out in FCEV commercial vehicles, so 'far future' seems unnecessarily delayed. You did see the post about the number of FCEV buses and trucks in China already in the 'AFV trucks' topic? Of course, anywhere a BEV bus or truck can do the job at the lowest TCO, it should be the tech of choice, but when it can't we need some other ZEV.

If Nikola actually builds the H2 fueling infrastructure they say they plan to support their FCEV trucks, that will eliminate one of the major hurdles for FCEVs, just as the SC network did for Teslas and EA's is starting to do for other BEVs. Which again leaves getting RE H2 cost down to the level of fossil fuels as the primary issue that needs to be solved.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:
This "ultra high-performance FCEV" could be made even higher performance by just removing the fuel cells. Hydrogen has a good energy density, but fuel cells don't have a good power density.

Please define "good power density".

Build a fuel cell car that can do 1/4 mile faster than this car. Get back to me. I'm convinced by working hardware. Get it working.

Why do you consider the ability to win drag races to be an important factor in FCEV success? Sure, everyone enjoys the feeling of rapid accel, and no doubt some people are willing to pay thousands extra for a P100D just so they can go 0-60 in 2.6 sec. instead of what, 3.2 sec in an S100D, but that's hardly a requirement for the typical driver. Not that there'd be any trouble making an FCEV do so, as all the ones currently in service are FCHEVs. As I said, just install a powerful enough motor and a battery pack that can supply the necessary current, and there you are.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
The reason people buy a Civic instead of a Model S (or some more expensive ICE) is because they can only afford a Civic.

Not always true. I owned a Civic, and could have afforded a more expensive ICE.

And I own a Forester even though I could own a more expensive car. Are we typical American consumers? BTW, you also own an e-Tron. If you bought a Civic because it met your needs, presumably you'd have preferred to pay tens of thousands less for a BEV that also did so, but none were available.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Even after posting direct experience showing that a single H2 dispenser can't serve more than 6 customers within an hour, and even after acknowledging that there's still no solution to the frozen nozzle problem (condensation is physics, you can't engineer around it without insulating everything), GRA still thinks some sort of PHFCEV would work and in large enough numbers that the economies of scale would reduce the price of H2 enough for it to be a viable.

Actually, what I wrote was that the problem was known, and solutions were under development as of 2 years ago, which was the most recent info I was able to find in a cursory search. I also mentioned that the current capability standard IIRR was 8 back-to-back fills/Hr, which implies that the problem's been solved for new dispensers.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
If you can't serve more than 3 PHFCEV travelers within 30 mins, then a model Y would actually get you to your destination sooner than being the 4th driver to have pulled up to that H2 dispenser. The PHFCEV is going to be crippled by the limits of thermodynamics and economies of scale. Hydrogen isn't limited by technology, it's being limited by physics.

Alternatively, even in the unlikely event that the problem's technically unsolvable, you could just provide more dispensers per site. You did read my post in the 'California retail H2 stations' topic, didn't you, which announced the opening of True Zero's latest station in Fountain Valley, which has a storage capacity of 1,200 kg (vice 180 for the 1st Gen retail stations, or ca. 500 kg. for the typical Gen. 2), and FOUR dispensers vice one for the first gen. (two for gen. 2)?

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
For the love of the environment, please switch to a BEV (I know you've "tried" it years ago, but a few years of infrastructure changes has a very dramatic effect on usability). Fuel Cells will never be a cost-efficient solution.

Obviously, many countries and companies disagree with you. As for me, I remain technologically agnostic, and am unwilling to predict the future when there are so many variables in play. When some ZEV tech meets my needs (and hopefully the majority of my wants), I'll buy it.

As none do yet, I continue to monitor the situation. BEVs are closer to my price but lack the capability, FCEVs have the capability but not the price, both still lack the necessary infrastructure in rural areas, and the 'fuel' for both is still more expensive than gas (BEVs are closer).

GRA said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

Actually, what I wrote was that the problem was known, and solutions were under development as of 2 years ago, which was the most recent info I was able to find in a cursory search. I also mentioned that the current capability standard IIRR was 8 back-to-back fills/Hr, which implies that the problem's been solved for new dispensers.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

Alternatively, even in the unlikely event that the problem's technically unsolvable, you could just provide more dispensers per site. You did read my post in the 'California retail H2 stations' topic, didn't you, which announced the opening of True Zero's latest station in Fountain Valley, which has a storage capacity of 1,200 kg (vice 180 for the 1st Gen retail stations, or ca. 500 kg. for the typical Gen. 2), and FOUR dispensers vice one for the first gen. (two for gen. 2)?

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

Obviously, many countries and companies disagree with you. As for me, I remain technologically agnostic, and am unwilling to predict the future when there are so many variables in play. When some ZEV tech meets my needs (and hopefully the majority of my wants), I'll buy it.

As none do yet, I continue to monitor the situation. BEVs are closer to my price but lack the capability, FCEVs have the capability but not the price, both still lack the necessary infrastructure in rural areas, and the 'fuel' for both is still more expensive than gas (BEVs are closer).

Knowing about the problem over two years and STILL NOT having a solution pretty much means it's not solvable (or at least within practical limits - vacuum isolated tubing would be one impractical way). Stop dancing around that fact with semantics and just acknowledge that there currently is NO SOLUTION to this limitation. Whether it's 8 per hour, or 3 per 30 mins, the improvement does not scale.

And we've already discussed your use cases, and have already determined that BEV's do meet your use cases very well. You would rather continue polluting the air on your boy scouts and nit-pick about the minimal vampire-drain and extra 15-minutes of a single charging stop than to acknowledge that BEV's do work for you. You're a hypocrite with your "copper-shots vs silver bullets" line.

GRA said:
I'm comparing current batteries to current fuel cells, and possible future batteries to possible future fuel cells. No BEV provides the combination of range, rapid refueling and longevity of current FCEVs, but fuel cells are probably more expensive currently (we don't know how much the costs have come down, from $50k/stack several years back towards the $8-$11k Toyota was hoping to achieve as they increased annual production from 3 up to 30k), as is their fuel.

Stack costs will decrease even more once they get into true mass production (300k-3M annually), but even at $8-11k they should be comparable to ICE-competitive BEVs, which are forecast to achieve that once pack costs drop to $100/kWh in a few years (2023 by one forecast), which is to say a 100kWh pack will cost $10k then. Economies of scale are already dropping H2 fueling infrastructure costs.

So, price of renewable H2 will be the determining factor in FCEV success or failure, along with possible developments in batteries. Note, I'm ignoring possible/likely resource constraint issues in both techs here.
Tesla and other talk about a 1 million mile battery. I have also read fuel cell will also wear out.... does it go a million and still produce 70 % rated power?

I don't think there is an actual BEV or FCEV that has gone this far on the original equipment.

GRA said:
WetEV said:

Everyday, not just when road tripping. Today. Future is the future, has yet to happen.

Hydrogen performance makes hydrogen cars unattractive.

Why do you consider the ability to win drag races to be an important factor in FCEV success? Sure, everyone enjoys the feeling of rapid accel, and no doubt some people are willing to pay thousands extra for a P100D just so they can go 0-60 in 2.6 sec. instead of what, 3.2 sec in an S100D, but that's hardly a requirement for the typical driver. Not that there'd be any trouble making an FCEV do so, as all the ones currently in service are FCHEVs. As I said, just install a powerful enough motor and a battery pack that can supply the necessary current, and there you are.

Notice that hydrogen needs a niche. Electric cars have one, partly due to performance, as people will pay for 0-60 in 2.3 seconds. Hydrogen is more expensive, lower performance and less convenient than electric cars.

Power density of current practical fuel cells is about 200W/kg. So to get 1000kW (Formula One ), you need 5,000 kg. A tank. Just isn't going to go fast. Sure, will improve with time. Wake me when it happens.

I'm sure that rule and safety issues would make this difficult, but running laps with NASCAR cars would do wonders for hydrogen cars. Not even winning, just staying up. Even qualifying runs, which might be easier to arrange, if competitive, would make selling hydrogen cars easier. Or Indy cars. But this is out of range for hydrogen fuel cells. Fuel cells are slow.

Electric cars have a niche. Hydrogen fuel cells rely on subsidies. Niches can expand. Subsidies will get cut, sooner or later.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
GRA said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

Knowing about the problem over two years and STILL NOT having a solution pretty much means it's not solvable (or at least within practical limits - vacuum isolated tubing would be one impractical way). Stop dancing around that fact with semantics and just acknowledge that there currently is NO SOLUTION to this limitation. Whether it's 8 per hour, or 3 per 30 mins, the improvement does not scale.

Seeing as how there are almost no gen 2 stations in operation yet, how do you know there isn't a solution yet? And even in the unlikely event there were no way to prevent temporary freeze up of the nozzle, do you think it might just occur to someone to install two hoses/nozzles per dispenser, in the same way EA puts two cables/connectors on their QCs? Hopefully they'd be smarter about it than EA is, and put them on opposite sides of the dispenser so that two cars could be connected at the same time, unlike EA.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
And we've already discussed your use cases, and have already determined that BEV's do meet your use cases very well. You would rather continue polluting the air on your boy scouts and nit-pick about the minimal vampire-drain and extra 15-minutes of a single charging stop than to acknowledge that BEV's do work for you. You're a hypocrite with your "copper-shots vs silver bullets" line.

What complete and utter B.S. I've described at length the places I'm likely to go, the routes I'm likely to take, and the low density if not complete absence of QC facilities along them, requiring me to either take completely different routes and/or plan my entire trip around charging stops, usually in places I have no wish to stay, or else forego the trip altogether.

Please do tell me of your fantasy about how BEVs are suitable for me. Let's start by having you explain how I'm going to drive across Nevada on U.S. 50 to Great Basin National Park (before continuing on to Ricky Mtn. NP), something I plan to do this fall but am still unable to do in a BEV owing to the total lack of QCs east of Fernley, NV, unless I'm willing to waste a night enroute and stay in an RV park, neither of which I'm willing to do.. Otherwise, don't waste my time.

smkettner said:
GRA said:

Tesla and other talk about a 1 million mile battery. I have also read fuel cell will also wear out.... does it go a million and still produce 70 % rated power?

I don't think there is an actual BEV or FCEV that has gone this far on the original equipment.

There have already been stacks that have lasted 20k+ hours of use in commercial vehicle (Bus IIRR) service with the high time one over 25k, which is far beyond the operational lifetime any personak vehicle's likely to rack up I believe I posted the details in the "AFV Trucks" topic some time back although it might have been here. Again from memory, stacks seem to suffer about a 10% power loss over 12 years.

Both of these numbers give useful longevity far beyond what any available battery pack can do. I've yet to see any detailed performance numbers or warranties from Tesla or anyone else about so-called 'million mile' batteries, none of which is yet available to buy, let alone has undergone large-scale service testing by customers. But I'd love to see a battery that will provide ICE-comparable range for at least 15 years, if not the life of the vehicle. That would make the life-cycle costs competitive with ICEs, which they aren't now for anyone line me who keeps cars until they wear out.

GRA said:
WetEV said:

Everyday, not just when road tripping. Today. Future is the future, has yet to happen.

Hydrogen performance makes hydrogen cars unattractive.

Notice that hydrogen needs a niche. Electric cars have one, partly due to performance, as people will pay for 0-60 in 2.3 seconds. Hydrogen is more expensive, lower performance and less convenient than electric cars.

As I've mentioned, FCEVs already have a niche too, where longer range/rapid refueling/weight are issues. The question is how large a niche each tech will eventually occupy. Oh, and FCEVs ARE electric cars, a point that BEV enthusiasts choose to ignore when promoting their preferred variant. And for those of us who can't charge at home, H2 is more not less convenient (always assuming the fueling infrastructure exists where you need it, which is true of any transport tech).

WetEV said:
Power density of current practical fuel cells is about 200W/kg. So to get 1000kW (Formula One ), you need 5,000 kg. A tank. Just isn't going to go fast. Sure, will improve with time. Wake me when it happens.

You are referring to specific power (W/kg) not power density, which is W/L (as I mentioned the power density of the current Mirai stack is 3 1kW/L, up from the previous gen's 1.6kW/L). Wakey, wakey, it's your morning alarm call:
The considered range of specific fuel cell power is from state-of-the-art fuel cell systems with 1.6 kW/kg up to possible future lightweight fuel cell systems with 8 kW/kg, as estimated by Kadyk et al. (2018).

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fenrg.2019.00035/full

So, as of 2 years ago the state of the art was right times higher than you state, with the foreseeable possibility of future cells up to forty times higher, but we won't count on that. Just to be conservative, let's assume that practical cells are only 800 W/kg, i.e. four times your claim.

WetEV said:
I'm sure that rule and safety issues would make this difficult, but running laps with NASCAR cars would do wonders for hydrogen cars. Not even winning, just staying up. Even qualifying runs, which might be easier to arrange, if competitive, would make selling hydrogen cars easier. Or Indy cars. But this is out of range for hydrogen fuel cells. Fuel cells are slow.

Electric cars have a niche. Hydrogen fuel cells rely on subsidies. Niches can expand. Subsidies will get cut, sooner or later.

This again. Both remain dependent on subsidies and mandates. If BEVs don't need them, as you claim, then why is virtually every government providing them - consumers should be flocking to them on their own. If you truly believe that PEVs have a niche and don't need either of them, you should be advocating for their sbolition. It's not as if governments don't have pressing needs for cash to spend on health care at the moment, so let's stop wasting money on subsidies and stop imposing unneeded mandates.

Alternatively, we could face reality and accept that neither is yet able to succeed on their own bar a limited number of vehicles at the high end of the price range, so we need to keep supporting/mandating them for some years yet if we want them to eventually replace ICEs.

GRA said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
GRA said:

Seeing as how there are almost no gen 2 stations in operation yet, how do you know there isn't a solution yet? And even in the unlikely event there were no way to prevent temporary freeze up of the nozzle, do you think it might just occur to someone to install two hoses/nozzles per dispenser, in the same way EA puts two cables/connectors on their QCs? Hopefully they'd be smarter about it than EA is, and put them on opposite sides of the dispenser so that two cars could be connected at the same time, unlike EA.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

What complete and utter B.S. I've described at length the places I'm likely to go, the routes I'm likely to take, and the low density if not complete absence of QC facilities along them, requiring me to either take completely different routes and/or plan my entire trip around charging stops, usually in places I have no wish to stay, or else forego the trip altogether.

Please do tell me of your fantasy about how BEVs are suitable for me. Let's start by having you explain how I'm going to drive across Nevada on U.S. 50 to Great Basin National Park (before continuing on to Ricky Mtn. NP), something I plan to do this fall but am still unable to do in a BEV owing to the total lack of QCs east of Fernley, NV, unless I'm willing to waste a night enroute and stay in an RV park, neither of which I'm willing to do.. Otherwise, don't waste my time.

Easy, for these once a year 600-mile road trip out to the middle of no-where just so you can say that the nearest supercharger is "out-of-the-way" (The tonopah supercharger is within 230 miles of that park) , you'd RENT a gas car. Because we both know that there will never be enough H2 infrastructure to permit you to make that trip in a PHFCEV. For all the rest of the time where you don't drive to such remote destinations, you can do it in an electric vehicle ... today. In 2022 however, that will change with the production of the 500-mile range cybertruck, but we both know you wouldn't even consider it, since it's a BEV.

Frankly, it wouldn't have bothered me if you want to keep your current gas car out of personal preference. What riles me is the fact that you would perpetuate your own fallacies about BEV's (of which there are now almost 1 million in the US) while simultaneously hold out fantastical hopes that PHFCEV's would be the perfect solution for you, despite all evidence pointing to it never being able to achieve the critical mass (limited by costs of the fuel and costs of the infrastructure) needed to be anything other than a niche-region-limited novelty. The end result being that you would continue to pollute (for many years) despite claiming that you're pro-environment.

GRA said:
You are referring to specific power (W/kg) not power density, which is W/L (as I mentioned the power density of the current Mirai stack is 3 1kW/L, up from the previous gen's 1.6kW/L). Wakey, wakey, it's your morning alarm call:
The considered range of specific fuel cell power is from state-of-the-art fuel cell systems with 1.6 kW/kg up to possible future lightweight fuel cell systems with 8 kW/kg, as estimated by Kadyk et al. (2018).

So, as of 2 years ago the state of the art was right times higher than you state, with the foreseeable possibility of future cells up to forty times higher, but we won't count on that. Just to be conservative, let's assume that practical cells are only 800 W/kg, i.e. four times your claim.

Practical systems vs theoretical design. Fine, whatever. Fuel cells for long distance aviation do look like a realistic choice. Reduction in fuel mass is larger than fuel cell mass. Especially as aviation fuel cells are air cooled, which would shorten life at higher temperatures, but is a realistic option as aircraft spend much of their operational time at 40,000 feet. Air cooling works very well at -40C and 300+ MPH.

Back to automotive performance. Hydrogen cars today are wimpy. Changing that would open up the market place at the high end.

Do a NASCAR design. Build it. Test it. Words are easy. Deeds are hard.

"Fuel cells are slow." Change that.

An electric car has the record for the Pike's Peak Hill Climb. Make a fuel cell car that can at least compete.

Words don't convince. Deeds do.

GRA said:

This again. Both remain dependent on subsidies and mandates. If BEVs don't need them, as you claim, then why is virtually every government providing them - consumers should be flocking to them on their own. If you truly believe that PEVs have a niche and don't need either of them, you should be advocating for their sbolition. It's not as if governments don't have pressing needs for cash to spend on health care at the moment, so let's stop wasting money on subsidies and stop imposing unneeded mandates.

Alternatively, we could face reality and accept that neither is yet able to succeed on their own bar a limited number of vehicles at the high end of the price range, so we need to keep supporting/mandating them for some years yet if we want them to eventually replace ICEs.

Need vs desirable. Little details like air pollution killing people explain why governments are providing subsidies, declining but still present for BEVs. Not to mention global warming. Arctic Ocean sea ice coverage is setting record lows for the date. It is desirable that BEVs replace ICEs as quickly as reasonable. BEVs will replace ICEs even without subsidies.

Fuel cells for automotive are basically R&D for aviation. I'm not against that, but make the case honestly.
AM2SI20200706A_SIT_NP.png

You guys do understand that the more posts on a topic, especially between just two participants with vast blocks of quoted exchanges, the less likely that more than one or two will be read by others, right?

LeftieBiker said:
You guys do understand that the more posts on a topic, especially between just two participants with vast blocks of quoted exchanges, the less likely that more than one or two will be read by others, right?

GRA seems to be a trusted confidant in his circle of friends. Getting him to see the light has a magnified impact on people's behaviour.

Judging by how mirai sales have been doing, most readers of MNL already ignore this thread, so no harm in beating my head against a brick wall.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
GRA said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

Easy, for these once a year 600-mile road trip out to the middle of no-where just so you can say that the nearest supercharger is "out-of-the-way" (The tonopah supercharger is within 230 miles of that park) , you'd RENT a gas car.

So what you're saying is that an ICE is the only practical choice at the moment. Good, we agree. But since I already own a gas car, which I only use for trips and which costs me less every year I keep it, what is the advantage to me of selling it and then renting another, with the attendant hassle and extra expense of doing so? I might save a bit on insurance, although that's not guaranteed as I have pay as you drive insurance, but I'd lose the flexibility and spontaneity that comes from having a car in my driveway available instantly.

I've had my car for 17.5 years now, and my odometer reads 70,164. I looked up how much I've driven this past decade, and see that on 1/14/11 the odometer read 54,335, so I've driven it just under 16,000 miles in the past 9.5 years (averaging less than 2,000 miles a year), which is about when I stopped taking out of state trips until I could do so in a ZEV. This is not my total car mileage though, as I'm sometimes driving with a friend in their car on trips. You could add the mileage of 1-2 trips a year to the total for that, but you'd have to multiply the P/mpg by two or more, and of course do the same for some of the multi-pax trips in my car.

Interesting that you mention Tonopah, as I'm considering doing the trip via 120/U.S.6/50 instead, allowing me to spend Friday night after work at Tuolumne Mdws. (8,600') in Yosemite to help acclimatize, instead of leaving the next morning and driving straight through, as when I get to Great Basin I'll be driving to and camping at 10,000' in order to hike up Wheeler Pk. (13,063') the next morning.

BTW, how do you propose I return from G.B., given that the round trip from Tonopah is 460 miles (not including the 24 mile RT to the trailhead)? And as I mentioned I'm not coming back but going on to RMNP, which means I have to be able to reach the recently opened EA site in Scipio, UT from Tonopah, 385 miles away.

Oh, and be sure to allow for a reserve to reach the next QC, in case Tonopah and/or Scipio are U/S. Of course, I could count on the single Greenlots QC in Ely (or Tonopah FTM) to be working, but the last check-in at Ely on Plugshare in April indicated there was a problem. Besides, I'd be a fool to plan a trip that depends on a single QC. I'm sure you agree, given all the moaning you've done about single nozzle issues at H2 stations'. And then there's EA's and Greenlots less than stellar rep for reliability.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Because we both know that there will never be enough H2 infrastructure to permit you to make that trip in a PHFCEV.

We both don't know anything of the kind. It may happen, it may not, just depends on whether or not FCEVs succeed. You could as easy claim 110 years ago that there would never be enough gasoline infrastructure and roads to make that trip in a car - take a train and a horse. But at the moment, owing to FCEV's greater range and faster fueling, it takes a lower density of H2 fueling infrastructure than it does BEV charging infrastructure to make the trip practical.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
For all the rest of the time where you don't drive to such remote destinations, you can do it in an electric vehicle ... today. In 2022 however, that will change with the production of the 500-mile range cybertruck, but we both know you wouldn't even consider it, since it's a BEV.

What all the rest of the time??? The only time I use a car is to drive to such remote locations, which is why I've been monitoring the deployment of the SC, EA and other charging networks as well as the H2 network. I've been waiting since last September for the CEC/Chargepoint in Groveland to open, just so I could make my typical weekend trip to Yosemite and points south of it along 395.
Otherwise, I'd have to fully charge in Oakdale and make the 132 mile/6,600' net gain/9,800' max. gain one-way drive to Lee Vining where there are a couple of L2s (or depend on the single QC at Rush Creek Lodge 20 miles east of Groveland being both operational and available when I arrive); or else count on the EA QC in Bridgeport (50 mile RT from L.V. the wrong direction); or else that I can make the EA QC in Bishop (64 miles beyond Lee Vining).

If I want to go south of that, to Whitney Portal say, Bishop had better be working, because the round trip from Lee Vining is about 274 miles with thousands of feet of elevation gain (and loss, but as we know there's no such thing as 100% efficient Regen), and then I'd need to spend most of the day or night charging at Lee Vining to get back to Oakdale. It takes a robust, redundant, fast recharging/refueling network to make such trips practical instead of driving adventures, unless you've got so much range that you can do the whole thing on your initial store of energy.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Frankly, it wouldn't have bothered me if you want to keep your current gas car out of personal preference. What riles me is the fact that you would perpetuate your own fallacies about BEV's (of which there are now almost 1 million in the US) while simultaneously hold out fantastical hopes that PHFCEV's would be the perfect solution for you, despite all evidence pointing to it never being able to achieve the critical mass (limited by costs of the fuel and costs of the infrastructure) needed to be anything other than a niche-region-limited novelty. The end result being that you would continue to pollute (for many years) despite claiming that you're pro-environment.

See above for which of us is perpetuating fallacies about BEV's current suitability for this type of trip. I'm still waiting for that Groveland site to open so I can rent a Bolt or similar on Turo and take a trip to the Tuolumne Mdws. area and return, without that being the sole purpose of the trip.

I've made the point repeatedly that there are no guaranteed winners yet. BEVs and their infrastructure may improve enough, H2 infrastructure and price may, or both or neither.
I'll be happy to use either, WHEN THEY MEET MY NEEDS.

Ah, crap! ? Lost a long reply. Shorter version.

WetEV said:
GRA said:

Practical systems vs theoretical design. Fine, whatever. Fuel cells for long distance aviation do look like a realistic choice. Reduction in fuel mass is larger than fuel cell mass. Especially as aviation fuel cells are air cooled, which would shorten life at higher temperatures, but is a realistic option as aircraft spend much of their operational time at 40,000 feet. Air cooling works very well at -40C and 300+ MPH.

Back to automotive performance. Hydrogen cars today are wimpy. Changing that would open up the market place at the high end.

Do a NASCAR design. Build it. Test it. Words are easy. Deeds are hard.

"Fuel cells are slow." Change that.

An electric car has the record for the Pike's Peak Hill Climb. Make a fuel cell car that can at least compete.

Words don't convince. Deeds do.

Like these?

https://www.sciencealert.com/this-i...-car-ever-designed-and-it-s-simply-astounding

https://www-motor1-com.cdn.ampproje...s/394097/hyperion-motors-teaser-hydrogen-car/

Both vaporware at the moment and likely to remain so, but who knows.

But tell me, do you really believe that FCHEVs will fail in the market if someone doesn't build a super-zoomy version, and that it's impossible to do so? That's like saying that because the Prius has mediocre performance it will never sell in mass numbers, and no one can make a fast HEV. Toyota disproved the first, and Porsche the second.

GRA said:

Need vs desirable. Little details like air pollution killing people explain why governments are providing subsidies, declining but still present for BEVs. Not to mention global warming. Arctic Ocean sea ice coverage is setting record lows for the date. It is desirable that BEVs replace ICEs as quickly as reasonable. BEVs will replace ICEs even without subsidies.

We're not arguing about whether reducing GHGs is desirable, we both agree that it is. We're arguing about whether BEVs have reached the point of consumer desirability that they can rapidly expand their market and replace ICEs without subsidies and nandates,. They can't, yet, which is why both are being provided.

Fuel cells for automotive are basically R&D for aviation. I'm not against that, but make the case honestly.
AM2SI20200706A_SIT_NP.png

And long-haul trucks and buses, and trains where track electrification isn't cost-effective, and many areas of shipping, and any car that wants long, durable range with rapid refueling.

GRA said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
GRA said:

Easy, for these once a year 600-mile road trip out to the middle of no-where just so you can say that the nearest supercharger is "out-of-the-way" (The tonopah supercharger is within 230 miles of that park) , you'd RENT a gas car.

So what you're saying is that an ICE is the only practical choice at the moment. Good, we agree. But since I already own a gas car, which I only use for trips and which costs me less every year I keep it, what is the advantage to me of selling it and then renting another, with the attendant hassle and extra expense of doing so? I might save a bit on insurance, although that's not guaranteed as I have pay as you drive insurance, but I'd lose the flexibility and spontaneity that comes from having a car in my driveway available instantly.

I've had my car for 17.5 years now, and my odometer reads 70,164. I looked up how much I've driven this past decade, and see that on 1/14/11 the odometer read 54,335, so I've driven it just under 16,000 miles in the past 9.5 years (averaging less than 2,000 miles a year), which is about when I stopped taking out of state trips until I could do so in a ZEV. This is not my total car mileage though, as I'm sometimes driving with a friend in their car on trips. You could add the mileage of 1-2 trips a year to the total for that, but you'd have to multiply the P/mpg by two or more, and of course do the same for some of the multi-pax trips in my car.

Interesting that you mention Tonopah, as I'm considering doing the trip via 120/U.S.6/50 instead, allowing me to spend Friday night after work at Tuolumne Mdws. (8,600') in Yosemite to help acclimatize, instead of leaving the next morning and driving straight through, as when I get to Great Basin I'll be driving to and camping at 10,000' in order to hike up Wheeler Pk. (13,063') the next morning.

BTW, how do you propose I return from G.B., given that the round trip from Tonopah is 460 miles (not including the 24 mile RT to the trailhead)? And as I mentioned I'm not coming back but going on to RMNP, which means I have to be able to reach the recently opened EA site in Scipio, UT from Tonopah, 385 miles away.

Oh, and be sure to allow for a reserve to reach the next QC, in case Tonopah and/or Scipio are U/S. Of course, I could count on the single Greenlots QC in Ely (or Tonopah FTM) to be working, but the last check-in at Ely on Plugshare in April indicated there was a problem. Besides, I'd be a fool to plan a trip that depends on a single QC. I'm sure you agree, given all the moaning you've done about single nozzle issues at H2 stations'. And then there's EA's and Greenlots less than stellar rep for reliability.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Because we both know that there will never be enough H2 infrastructure to permit you to make that trip in a PHFCEV.
We both don't know anything of the kind. It may happen, it may not, just depends on whether or not FCEVs succeed. You could as easy claim 110 years ago that there would never be enough gasoline infrastructure and roads to make that trip in a car - take a train and a horse. But at the moment, owing to FCEV's greater range and faster fueling, it takes a lower density of H2 fueling infrastructure than it does BEV charging infrastructure to make the trip practical.

What all the rest of the time??? The only time I use a car is to drive to such remote locations, which is why I've been monitoring the deployment of the SC, EA and other charging networks as well as the H2 network. I've been waiting since last September for the CEC/Chargepoint in Groveland to open, just so I could make my typical weekend trip to Yosemite and points south of it along 395.
Otherwise, I'd have to fully charge in Oakdale and make the 132 mile/6,600' net gain/9,800' max. gain one-way drive to Lee Vining where there are a couple of L2s (or depend on the single QC at Rock Creek Lodge 20 miles east of Groveland being both operational and available when I arrive); or else count on the EA QC in Bridgeport (50 mile RT from L.V. the wrong direction); or else that I can make the EA QC in Bishop (64 miles beyond Lee Vining).

If I want to go south of that, to Whitney Portal say, Bishop had better be working, because the round trip from Lee Vining is about 274 miles with thousands of feet of elevation gain (and loss, but as we know there's no such thing as 100% efficient Regen), and then I'd need to spend most of the day or night charging at Lee Vining to get back to Oakdale. It takes a robust, redundant, fast recharging/refueling network to make such trips practical instead of driving adventures, unless you've got so much range that you can do the whole thing on your initial store of energy.

See above for which of us is perpetuating fallacies about BEV's current suitability for this type of trip. I'm still waiting for that Groveland site to open so I can rent a Bolt or similar on Turo and take a trip to the Tuolumne Mdws. area and return, without that being the sole purpose of the trip.

I've made the point repeatedly that there are no guaranteed winners yet. BEVs and their infrastructure may improve enough, H2 infrastructure and price may, or both or neither.
I'll be happy to use either, WHEN THEY MEET MY NEEDS.

I got nothing. I see you repeat this tripe over and over again, and then I look at your signature line, and can only shake my head in dismay at the obvious hypocrisy (you and your friends driving all over the place in your gas vehicles, because you're afraid the chargers might not work, and to do it with a non-tesla to re-inforce the lack of chargers point). You even found a QC station in Ely, but still want to make excuses about how BEV's can't make the trip! You're dead-set on your "BEV's are not good enough" thesis and won't acknowledge the blinders.

By the way, my moaning about the H2 dispensers was about the refueling time (FC's primary selling point), not about whether or not they'd work. It's about how H2 is too slow and _expensive_ of a solution to ever reach mass adoption.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
I got nothing.

That's been apparent for some time.

I see you repeat this tripe over and over again, and then I look at your signature line, and can only shake my head in dismay at the obvious hypocrisy (you and your friends driving all over the place in your gas vehicles, because you're afraid the chargers might not work, and to do it with a non-tesla to re-inforce the lack of chargers point). You even found a QC station in Ely, but still want to make excuses about how BEV's can't make the trip! You're dead-set on your "BEV's are not good enough" thesis and won't acknowledge the blinders.

You apparently take trips on the 'wing and a prayer' principle. I don't, not being willing to waste a bunch of driving that may require me to turn around and abandon or waste a great deal of my vacation/recreation time, when there are easily forseeable single-point failures en route. I also carry a spare tire, jack and lug wrench and at least a gallon of water, flares, a Qt. of oil, duct tape, tools, emergency blanket in the car on trips, as I may be many miles off pavement with no phone service, or need to help at accidents. I take it you'd consider such precautions unnecessary. Not for me, but then I am an old Boy Scout, and you know the Scout motto, don't you?

As for doing it in a non-Tesla, of course. Teslas cost more than I'm willing to pay, in addition to having features I don't want and a demonstrated lack of Quality Control that doesn't imply long-term reliability, even if I were willing to ignore that no one is currently willing to warranty a battery's capacity for more than 8 years, and that's to only 70% of an at best marginal if not completely inadequate initial range.

Me driving all over the place? I detailed exactly how much I've driven this decade. Tell us, how far have you driven in that time? Flown? Housing situation? I don't claim to be environmentally pure. Are you?

By the way, my moaning about the H2 dispensers was about the refueling time (FC's primary selling point), not about whether or not they'd work. It's about how H2 is too slow and _expensive_ of a solution to ever reach mass adoption.

In other words, having multiple dispensers solves the problem even in the unlikely event that there's no technical solution, which apparently there is given the new standard.

GRA said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
I got nothing.

That's been apparent for some time.

I see you repeat this tripe over and over again, and then I look at your signature line, and can only shake my head in dismay at the obvious hypocrisy (you and your friends driving all over the place in your gas vehicles, because you're afraid the chargers might not work, and to do it with a non-tesla to re-inforce the lack of chargers point). You even found a QC station in Ely, but still want to make excuses about how BEV's can't make the trip! You're dead-set on your "BEV's are not good enough" thesis and won't acknowledge the blinders.

You apparently take trips on the 'wing and a prayer' principle. I don't, not being willing to waste a bunch of driving that may require me to turn around and abandon or waste a great deal of my vacation/recreation time, when there are easily forseeable single-point failures en route. I also carry a spare tire, jack and lug wrench and at least a gallon of water, flares, a Qt. of oil, duct tape, tools, emergency blanket in the car on trips, as I may be many miles off pavement with no phone service or need to help at accidents. I take it you'd consider such precautions unnecessary. Not for me, but then I am an old Boy Scout, and you know the Scout motto, don't you?

As for doing it in a non-Tesla, of course. Teslas cost more than I'm willing to pay, in addition to having features I don't want and a demonstrated lack of Quality Control that doesn't imply long-term reliability, even if I were willing to ignore that no one is currently willing to warranty a battery's capacity for more than 8 years, and that's to only 70% of an at best marginal if not completely inadequate initial range.

Me driving all over the place? I detailed exactly how much I've driven this decade. Tell us, how far have you driven in that time? Flown? Housing situation? I don't claim to be environmentally pure. Are you?

In other words, having multiple dispensers solves the problem even in the unlikely event that there's no technical solution, which apparently there is given the new standard.

I too carry an emergency blanket, tape, wrench set, rags, bottled water, jack, fix-a-flat kit, and a portable inflator.
If I hit something that needs the tire replaced, then I've done something really stupid. If I hit two nails, the fix-a-flat can cover it, while a spare tire won't.

I drive 20,000 miles a year, but most of it commuting miles (because my wife works in the opposite direction, so our combined miles would be the same regardless of where we live. So we chose to live where the schools are good. I vacation travel about as much as you do, ~2000 miles annually.

I admit that Lassen was the most out of the way I've gone so far, but it's not like I'm done taking trips. I don't use mass transit, because my EV's pollute (I pay a little bit more for SCE's 100% renewables electricity supply) much less than the bus (although they've begun adding more battery busses lately, so it might all balance out soon). And having kids preclude me from biking everywhere, especially considering that I'm more likely to die on a bicycle on these city roads.

Look, I've already said before I could care less how you justify your life. My major beef is how you take your pre-conceived notions about BEV's and actively socialize it, discouraging people from seriously considering BEV's and directly benefitting from the switch. You are part of the problem by being a cognitive speedbump.

Back