HOW TO: Daytime Running Lights (DRL) installed for $35

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First post here. Just got my leaf last week and couldn't do without LED DRLs, followed this guide using these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D5OLS1C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (I paid $11) and I think it turned out pretty good. Had a heck of a time with the wire taps though.

I went with a bit different of a mounting location due to ease and looks!

Bxy0VXx.jpg

I like the idea of installing DRL's. The source of where the power is being drawn from I don't understand, why are you not pulling from the lighting relay/fuse panel. Where is a spare fuse slot and relay slot.
But end up using Hack splice connectors and wires strung loosely when you can go direct and use wire casings the length of the route?

It seems to me the nicest wiring solution would be Pos to cigarette lighter fuse & neg to headlights. Driving with headlights off, the wire from light switch to bulb is at ground. Resistance through headlights is much lower than through DRL. Voltage drop occurs across DRL.
When headlights are on, both leads to the DRL are at nominal 12 V. No voltage drop across DRL and DRL shuts off.
I am not sure about impact of LED headlights it might cause them to glow dimly.

"2011RedLeaf" It seems to me the nicest wiring solution would be Pos to cigarette
  • lighter
fuse & neg to headlights. Driving with headlights off, the wire from light switch to bulb is at ground. Resistance through headlights is much lower than through DRL. Voltage drop occurs across DRL.
When headlights are on, both leads to the DRL are at nominal 12 V. No voltage drop across DRL and DRL shuts off.
I am not sure about impact of LED headlights it might cause them to glow dimly.

Have you tried this?

Can confirm this works on a 2013 Leaf SL. I used maxxoverclocker's DRLs from Amazon (repeating the link: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D5OLS1C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1). The Red wire and the black and white wire were exactly where GeekEV said they would be. Works great!

I was happy to have this guide and used the same LEDs as TheSplash and others. Not being a fan of the typical inline crimps, I used Posi-Taps (also mentioned in this thread, and yes — expensive). I wanted the DRLs to be off when the headlights (or parking lights) are on, so I added a SPDT relay that energizes the relay with the parking light wire near the PDM. (The LEDs are connected to the NC terminal, so they are off when the relay is energized.) Works well.

Initially I tried one of the cheap (~$10) DRL controllers on Amazon, but the DC-DC converter voltage is a hair too low for the controller. So the LEDs wouldn't stay on consistently. Rather than try another controller in the hopes of a lower trigger voltage, I just went with a relay. The controller dimmed the LEDs when the head/parking lights were on, which I thought was a cool feature, but not worth unreliable operation to me.

Problem here: the black and white wire is not in socket #18, but is in socket #19. Attaching to the black and white is "always on", irrespective of ignition position. Attachment of the light's negative to the chassis ground also results in "always on". The red wire is attached via a tap to the red wire, about 14ga, which is inside #57 on the other plug. I've not found a configuration which controls the led lights via the ignition, as described in the original post.

Your advice and guidance will be appreciated.
My LEAF is as described in my signature, below.

Dave

CWO4Mann said:
Problem here: the black and white wire is not in socket #18, but is in socket #19. Attaching to the black and white is "always on", irrespective of ignition position. Attachment of the light's negative to the chassis ground also results in "always on". The red wire is attached via a tap to the red wire, about 14ga, which is inside #57 on the other plug. I've not found a configuration which controls the led lights via the ignition, as described in the original post.

Dave

"Bump", anyone please.

CWO4Mann said:

Dave

I just did this. Tap into #57 and just grounded on a bolt attached to the body. Lights only go on when ignition is on.

This is cool, but how does it compare to, umm, just turning on the lights when you drive in the daytime, and then turning them off when you stop?

When you're importing a LEAF from the US to Canada, it's a federal requirement to have DRLs added. I suspect most people that have contributed to this thread are either Canadian or just feel that DRLs are a compelling safety feature.

On my 2013 SV, I always have the headlights on the auto setting anyways, so the DRLs are pointless, but nonetheless I had to install them when importing.

VirginiaBurbs said:
This is cool, but how does it compare to, umm, just turning on the lights when you drive in the daytime, and then turning them off when you stop?

Nice comment... I have for many years driven ALWAYS with my lights on... It is a habit I got from increasing my visibility when I rode motorcycles....

I have taught all my 3 children this trick when they drive, and it is funny... We all automatically turn on the lights anytime we start the car!!

Also, I appreciate the detailed directions and pictures of this mod... But I personally would not recommend those "biting clip" connectors to tap into power wires, especially on an installation that uses a lot of power.. I have not had good results on those connectors long term....

I would cut and solder wires together and use shrink tubing...

Hope no one minds me bringing this topic back to the front. I just wanted to thank those that helped with info.

I added a string LED tonight. I like the style but I'll have to see if it's bright enough during the day.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2Ud4XuxHDz8WFAZ37

To compare, this is with the low beams and the fogs on (shaky picture)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6Bg9aqriBu6DotdA7

And this is with the fogs off
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ee8osU5dNVUTyLMW9

On a somewhat related note, rather than adding the LEDs, does anyone know if there's an easy way to tap directly into the factory fog lamps so I could use those as DRLs (maybe pulling the fog fuse and splicing 57 and 18 (or whatever the wire numbers are) to the fog wires). Which number are the fog lamp wires in the "box" (with 57 and 18)

This is the most recent active thread for DRL, so the reason to reply here.

Bought a Leaf 2013 in the US many years ago and imported it to Canada this past week. While searching to figure out a good way to add DRL, I stumble a turn signal light bulb with a "Dual Mode". It does turn signal (yellow) and DRL (white) on the same bulb.

The way it works, when the turn signal is on the bulb switches between yellow and off. When the turn signal is off, the bulb is white.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005199986590.html

For the white light to work as DRL, there's a separate wire that connects to the accessory power. To make that simple, "fuse tap cable".

I just ordered those, will post an update when I have time to install/try them.

What I find interesting is that it doesn't uses much power compared to the halogen headlight. Yes Yes, I'm trying to replace the H13 with LED but I can't make up my mind which brand/model to buy that will last years and not weeks/months. Even if I'd have LED headlights, I'm not sure I want to use them DRL, the turn signal are way cheaper to replace.

Talon610 said:
I am interested to see how this turns out for you, looks like an easier option. Keep us posted...
The seller didn't send me the bulb with the proper socket :oops: and I just realized, turn signals require canbus :eek:

Back on ali, based on my search, below is the only compatible bulb that I could find w/ canbus and DRL

https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/33034350457.html

Not sure when I'll order this one yet.

belanger said:
The seller didn't send me the bulb with the proper socket :oops: and I just realized, turn signals require canbus :eek:

I'm confused, where does the canbus fit in? Isn't the turn signal light just a plain old 12V bulb?
https://www.sylvania-automotive.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-sylvaniaautomotive-Site/en_US/BulbFinder-Show?carId=18774&oepn=3457A

Back