Hydrogen and FCEVs discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't recall who else on this board had experience with FCEV's (nor what their experience was), but this tesla owner has personal experience that directly refutes the whole 5-minute to refuel claim:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/4768152/

"The actual pumping of hydrogen into the car may take only 5 minutes, but it is problem if cars are filled back to back as the gas has to be pressurized and chilled - so we learnt quickly that if there were more than 2 cars in line ahead of us at the filling station, you might as well leave because the pump goes offline for 10-15 minutes after 2-3 cars are filled. Even in the dry weather of southern California, the pump nozzles ice up due to the cooling - sometimes it will get stuck due to the ice. We keep a towel in the car to wipe off the condensation/ice and to hold the freezing nozzles."

So there's a physical limit (fuel dispensing) of being able to serve no more than 3 cars per 25 min interval per station. What a royal waste of resources!

Edit: Just realized that areas like Georgia and Florida can forget about filling cars back to back, as the nozzles will probably ice up after each filling session!

As has previously been noted, first gen retail stations had issues doing back-to-back fills. IIRR, the current standard for larger dispensers is something like 8 back-to-back fills/hour. I'm pretty sure I posted a link to that up-topic, but don't remember if the info was in an article about the station operator, the company producing the station equipment, or the standard itself.

Re nozzle icing, found this on a CAFCP webinar from Oct. 2018:

"Is CaFCP working with equipment providers to develop a fuel cell nozzle that doesn't freeze up?

We first talked about the frozen nozzle problem in October 2017. Hydrogen is cooled to -40°C so it can be quickly dispensed. Cold hydrogen turns moisture in the air into frost on the nozzle and receptacle. Sometimes the frost becomes ice—particularity after back-to-back fills—and the cold metal of the nozzle latching mechanism freezes.

WEH and Walther, the companies that manufacture most nozzles are working with automakers and station developers to find solutions. Some stations have new nozzles and other stations have mechanisms to dislodge or dry water that might be between the “teeth” inside the nozzle. Development continues.

If the nozzle does freeze to the car, don’t pour water on it or twist it back and forth to try to force it off the car. You may have to wait a minute or two for the temperature of the nozzle to warm up enough to remove it from the receptacle."

IDK if current designs have fully solved the problem, but it doesn't sound like it's technically all that difficult. Cost of (renewable) H2 remains the major issue to be solved.

GCC:
Hiringa Energy and Mitsui & Co. to pursue hydrogen-related commercial projects in New Zealand

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/06/20200626-hiringa.html

. . . Hiringa Energy is developing hydrogen production projects using electrolysis. Hiringa is also developing new renewable electricity generation for green hydrogen that can displace the use of fossil fuels for transport and industrial feedstock.

Through the strategic alliance agreement, Mitsui secures access to participate in multiple hydrogen projects developed by Hiringa including the JV project with Ballance Agri-nutrients and Hiringa’s nationwide refueling network, which will see hydrogen refueling stations come online throughout 2021. . . .

In forming this strategic alliance, both companies are working towards a common goal of creating a viable domestic hydrogen economy and export opportunities. The parties have been discussing the potential of hydrogen in New Zealand since 2017, when Mitsui learned of the New Zealand government’s strong aspirations for green hydrogen initiatives and Hiringa’s activities.

The strategic alliance builds on the New Zealand Government’s $19.9-million funding investment announcement into Hiringa’s Joint Venture with Ballance Agri-Nutrients earlier this year—a more than $50-million project to create green hydrogen at Ballance’s Kapuni plant in South Taranaki—and support from Hiringa’s seed investors, including Sir Stephen Tindall via his investment company K One W One.

The New Zealand and Japanese Governments have signed a Memorandum of Cooperation on hydrogen in 2018 to start the transition to a hydrogen economy to reduce emissions and improve energy security.

I finally saw Hyundai Nexo FCEV in the wild yesterday. Was parked near where I was picking up some food. I've never seen one outside of an auto show before.

Here in Nor Cal, most of the FCEV sightings (very few) are Mirais and a tiny # of Clarity FCEVs.

I've seen a few Nexos out and about, but I'd say it's about a 50/50 split Mirai/Clarity for me. It sounds like I see them more often than you. Whether that's due to my being on/near a major route leading to an H2 station 1.9 mi. away, there are more of them here, or I'm just paying more attention to them I can't say.

All GCC:
Ways2H collaborates with Ford, Bacon & Davis to build waste-to-H2 production facilities for clean fuel in US markets

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/06/20200630-ways2h.html

Ways2H Inc., a global producer of renewable hydrogen from the world’s worst waste streams, and Ford, Bacon & Davis, a leader in energy facility engineering, procurement and construction (EPC), are collaborating to design and to build waste-to-hydrogen facilities in California and other locations in the United States, to produce renewable hydrogen fuel for customers in the mobility and power generation sectors, and to offer alternative disposal options for waste processing and waste disposal companies.

The two companies plan to build the first US modular thermochemical waste-to-hydrogen production facility in California in the fourth quarter of 2020, with a pipeline of additional projects to follow in 2021.

The facilities will utilize the patented process developed through Ways2H’s ongoing joint venture with long-time technical partner, Japan Blue Energy (JBEC). JBEC has developed a biomass gasification process that uses alumina balls as a heat carrier. . . .

The Ways2H approach converts the world’s worst waste, including medical waste, municipal solid waste, plastics, agricultural residue and/or wastewater sludge into renewable hydrogen, with a net zero-carbon footprint.

The California project will be Ways2H’s second transportable, modular waste-to-hydrogen unit, after the company completes work on its first commercial modular waste-to-hydrogen project currently underway in Japan with JBEC, for the next Tokyo Olympics.

The first California waste-to-hydrogen production unit will be transportable, sized to fit in three 20-foot containers, process 1 ton of waste per day and produce 40 to 50 kilograms of hydrogen per day.

SunHydrogen extends research agreement with University of Iowa; development of Gen 2 multi-junction nanoparticles for hydrogen production

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/06/20200630-sunhydrogen.html

. . . As we are set to begin the production phase of our GEN 1 hydrogen panels, our research efforts will become increasingly focused on GEN 2. The University of Iowa has been a key and productive partner in the development of our GEN 1 panels. These three months of summer will get us closer to the final architecture for what will be a much more efficient and stable generation of our product. We will also be setting new milestones for the upcoming agreement in September. The knowledge we have gained through the GEN 1 process will accelerate our path to commercialization for GEN 2.

—Tim Young, CEO of SunHydrogen

The agreement currently covers the extensive development work to complete and commercialize the company’s GEN 2 nanoparticle hydrogen production panels that will deploy a much higher solar-to-hydrogen efficiency than GEN 1 at lower manufacturing cost. The work will continue to be led by Professor Dr. Syed Mubeen, (University of Iowa) and Dr. Joun Lee, (SunHydrogen). . . .

First hydrogen supply chain demonstration project using MCH to transport H2 starts

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/06/20200630-ahead.html

The Advanced Hydrogen Energy Chain Association for Technology Development (AHEAD) has started the world’s first international demonstration operation to transport hydrogen using methylcyclohexane. (Earlier post.)

This project is subsidized by the New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization (NEDO) and will conduct a demonstration operation for the construction of an international hydrogen supply chain.

In the supply country, hydrogen, chemically fixed to toluene, is converted by a hydrogenation reaction into methylcyclohexane (MCH), a liquid at ambient temperature and pressure, for storage and transport. In the consumer country, hydrogen is extracted from MCH by a dehydrogenation reaction and supplied as hydrogen gas.[]

Methylcyclohexane (MCH) produced in Brunei Darussalam has already been transported to Japan by ship, separated into hydrogen and toluene at a dehydrogenation plant located on the Kawasaki city waterfront, and the hydrogen has been supplied to a gas turbine at the Mizue power station owned by Toa Oil Co. Ltd.

At this time, the process of transporting back the toluene separated by dehydrogenation from Japan to Brunei Darussalam and binding the toluene again with hydrogen has started. This would complete the hydrogen supply chain and would be the beginning of circular stable operation.

GCC:
Daimler Truck AG pushing forward with series production of fuel cells

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/07/20200701-daimlerfuelcell.html

. . . In close cooperation with their colleagues in Vancouver, Canada, and with the ongoing fuel cell development activities, the Stuttgart-based engineers are now transferring that experience to the direct preliminary stage of future series production. Investments are being made in new state-of-the-art facilities covering every process stage of fuel cell production: from membrane coating and stack manufacturing to the production of fuel cell units. . . .

GCC:
NREL issues request for proposals for H2@Scale; up to $24M in funding

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/07/20200702-nrel.html

. . . Up to $24 million in DOE funding is available for collaborative projects at national laboratories in two priority areas of R&D:

Hydrogen fueling technologies for medium- and heavy-duty fuel cell vehicles. Areas of interest include, but are not limited to, compressors, dispensers, cryogenic pumps, analysis to inform fueling station design, and heavy-duty fueling methods that can inform standards development organizations leading fueling protocol development.; and

Technical barriers to hydrogen blending in natural gas pipelines. Specific R&D priorities include materials compatibility, pipeline compressors, hydrogen combustion in end uses, technologies for separating hydrogen from blends downstream of injection, compatibility of blends with underground reservoirs, and techno-economic and life cycle analysis. . . .

Selected projects must include one or more National Laboratories and must also include partners from one or more of the following: industry, universities, non-profits, institutes, codes and standards organizations, associations, or other relevant stakeholders.

Proposals are due by Friday, 31 July 2020, at 7 p.m. Eastern Time.

GCR:
Jaguar Land Rover fuel-cell project to counter “diminishing returns” of batteries in big SUVs

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1128746_jaguar-land-rover-fuel-cell-batteries-in-big-suvs

. . . In a media Q&A following a company update Friday, Jaguar Land Rover’s executive director of product engineering, Nick Rogers, clarified the project reported earlier this week—and underscored that there’s real potential in it for something large in the company’s lineup, like the Range Rover.

“It’s absolutely really, really important; we truly believe that hydrogen has a real place and opportunity, particularly in the bigger vehicles,” said Rogers.

Partly, it has to do with the massive packs big SUVs need to be fitted with in order to achieve the long driving range luxury electric vehicle buyers are now expecting.

“In some of the bigger vehicles we’re diminishing returns, in terms of the amount of energy you can store in a battery for the weight of the car,” explained Rogers. “You're in a space where unfortunately, you're making the cars so much heavier, that you're then using so much of that energy just to cart that heavy weight about."

“And so the opportunity with hydrogen, where you skinny it down and effectively replace the internal combustion engine with a hydrogen machine that creates energy and then you use a battery pack, is very, very similar to a PHEV, and we would encourage that you would plug it in as well, take advantage of peak shaving, and all those other things,” he summed. . . .

A negative view, via Forbes:

Why Hydrogen Will Never Be The Future Of Electric Cars

https://www-forbes-com.cdn.ampproje...en-will-never-be-the-future-of-electric-cars/

Nevertheless, hydrogen still has niches where its main strengths – lightness and quick refuelling – give it a clear advantage. While you can fit your personal driving lifestyle around strategic battery charging stops, this is not ideal for a commercial vehicle that needs to run for very long periods and distances with only short waits to refuel. The weight of batteries for eight hours of continual usage would also be prohibitive in a train, for example. So, for industrial vehicles, hydrogen seems like a viable option, despite the inefficiency. Nevertheless, in the UK, there were only ten hydrogen-powered buses in service in March 2019, alongside 155 electric ones (with more arriving) and 3,669 hybrid ones. But a hydrogen double-decker is also coming into service in London, with hydrogen diggers and trains also already in use. Stock market darling Nikola Motor is working on hydrogen semi-trailer trucks alongside electric and hybrid variants.

still arguing that FCVs are the future of personal transport and the technology will take off in 2020. It’s likely that FCV energy supply-chain efficiency will be improved over time and more renewable energy sources used in hydrogen production. However, considering the number of BEVs already on the road, FCVs have lost this battle already and will never catch up. A BEV is a viable form of personal transportation right now in most developed Western nations. There are lots of options with over 200 miles of range, and Tesla TSLA has even hit 400 miles. There are charging points springing up all the time, with more than twice as many EV charging points in the UK as petrol stations. The battle for the future of green personal transportation is over, and battery electric vehicles have already won.

Where I disagree with him is his conclusion. As long as both techs remain reliant on subsidies and mandates, neither has won in the market. Only when customers don't have to be coerced/bribed to buy the product will one or both win.

GRA said:
Where I disagree with him is his conclusion. As long as both techs remain reliant on subsidies and mandates, neither has won in the market. Only when customers don't have to be coerced/bribed to buy the product will one or both win.

Then electric cars have won.

No one buys a Porsche Taycan for a few thousand in subsidies. Or an Audi eTron.

GRA said:

https://www-forbes-com.cdn.ampproje...en-will-never-be-the-future-of-electric-cars/

GRA;
My relatively uniformed view (not my field of expertise) is that hydrogen as a fuel is a thermodynamic nightmare/impossibility, let alone the actual energy life cycle considering wind/solar are the only realistic energy producers with life cycle issues of their own. My fear is that BEVs have a similar problem with battery recycle/life cycle implications (assuming similar energy production end game). Most studies that I've read don't even understand the basic thermo (h2) and are woefully short on long term environmental affects of millions of tons of recycle batteries (BEVs). Full disclosure, I'm a huge proponent of BEVs, but realize it might be a relatively short term enthusiasm (although grid stabilization via V2X is a huge advantage). As you are obviously an extreme advocate of transportation energy being "transformed" away from hydrocarbon fuels (my expertise actually), what is your "best guess" at this point in time that the next 20 years holds for us?

WetEV said:
GRA said:

Almost no one buys a Porsche Taycan, period, and the number of e-Trons is in the low thousands, while there are somewhere around 1 billion cars on the road worldwide.

Marktm said:
GRA said:

GRA;
My relatively uniformed view (not my field of expertise) is that hydrogen as a fuel is a thermodynamic nightmare/impossibility, let alone the actual energy life cycle considering wind/solar are the only realistic energy producers with life cycle issues of their own. My fear is that BEVs have a similar problem with battery recycle/life cycle implications (assuming similar energy production end game). Most studies that I've read don't even understand the basic thermo (h2) and are woefully short on long term environmental affects of millions of tons of recycle batteries (BEVs). Full disclosure, I'm a huge proponent of BEVs, but realize it might be a relatively short term enthusiasm (although grid stabilization via V2X is a huge advantage). As you are obviously an extreme advocate of transportation energy being "transformed" away from hydrocarbon fuels (my expertise actually), what is your "best guess" at this point in time that the next 20 years holds for us?

As someone who's interest in/knowledge of RE dates back 3 decades plus, I think it's far too early to say which ZEV tech or techs will be the ultimate winners, because we simply don't know what societal changes may also take place.

For example, if MaaS rather than individual ownership becomes the norm, that would seem to advantage BEVs, but what effect will pandemics have on that? Same goes for public transport. Will the U.S. opt for higher-density urban development ala' Europe going forward, as opposed to our existing pattern of car-dependent sprawl? How will the advent of AVs, whenever they're finally available to consumers, affect people's choice. How much will batteries improve, or will we see widespread battery leasing/swapping, etc. etc.?

Beats me, which is why I believe we have to continue along multiple paths, until the picture's a lot clearer than it is now. My main concern is getting off GHG-producing fuels ASAP; I'm far less concerned with how we do that. Using the most energy-efficient tech is obviously desirable, but if consumers value other factors higher, they simply won't buy it.

As I've stated before, my own feeing is that PHFCEVs represent the best all-around compromise in the U.S. given current/near-future tech, assuming that individual ownership and sprawl remain the norm, and also assuming that the cost of RE H2 can be made comparable to gas. The success of BEVs or pure FCEVs is also subject to caveats, dependent on the factors I mentioned above as well as others (e.g. supply reliability and availability).

If I thought we were at the point where it's a done deal I'd say so, but AFAICT we're a minimum of 5, more likely 10 and maybe even 15-20 years from knowing which tech will fill the largest niche, or even what that niche will be.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
GRA said:

Almost no one buys a Porsche Taycan, period, and the number of e-Trons is in the low thousands, while there are somewhere around 1 billion cars on the road worldwide.
Porsche Taycan has low thousands on the road. Past 2000 a quarter ago. Taycan will probably pass the production total of all hydrogen cars ever produced later this year. "Almost no one."

https://insideevs.com/news/410363/porsche-taycan-sales-q1-2020/

Audi eTron sales are several thousand a month in just US and Norway. Low 10's of thousands, perhaps.

Hydrogen cost makes hydrogen cars unattractive. Hydrogen car performance makes hydrogen cars unattractive. Hydrogen car cost makes hydrogen cars unattractive. All of these are probably not fixable.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:

Porsche Taycan has low thousands on the road. Past 2000 a quarter ago. Taycan will probably pass the production total of all hydrogen cars ever produced later this year. "Almost no one."

https://insideevs.com/news/410363/porsche-taycan-sales-q1-2020/

Audi eTron sales are several thousand a month in just US and Norway. Low 10's of thousands, perhaps.

Hydrogen cost makes hydrogen cars unattractive. Hydrogen car performance makes hydrogen cars unattractive. Hydrogen car cost makes hydrogen cars unattractive. All of these are probably not fixable.

Most of your bolded assertions are nonsense, unless nothing changes in the future.

Yes, H2 is currently too expensive; I've said numerous times that its price has to be reduced, everyone involved in it agrees, and unlike you the people and governments actually working to achieve that are optimistic that it can be done. Naturally, that is no guarantee that it will happen, anymore than batteries are guaranteed to develop to the point that they can fully replace ICEs.

Hydrogen car performance is quite typical of most cars now, and if anyone wanted to build an ultra high-performance FCEV they could. It's just a matter of providing a powerful enough motor along with a battery pack able to supply enough surge current to handle rapid accel. Someone undoubtedly will build one, eventually.

FCEVs currently available cost considerably less than say a Model S of roughly comparable max. range (practical range is greater for the FCEV), despite their much lower production volumes. How much the manufacturers may be subsidizing their price is unknown. Economies of scale will bring prices down just as they have for BEVs (and every other mass-produced product).

Lowering the cost of sustainable H2 is the key factor in FCEV viability. Everything else is minor.

Re BEV viability, here's something from McKinsey:
Leaving the niche: Seven steps for a successful go-to-market model for electric vehicles

https://www.mckinsey.com/industries...34&hdpid=b1ca2f1d-09d2-40d0-b9c6-7e420ebbf465

To date, electric vehicles (EVs) have been niche products, so many OEMs have focused their go-to-market (GTM) strategies on a small, tech-savvy segment of automobile customers. Then, just as electric mobility was about to take off and sales were accelerating in several markets around the world, COVID-19 struck.

There are many questions about how the coronavirus could affect the global EV market. The answer will vary by region. Regulation and consumer incentives drive China’s EV market, and the central government extended purchase subsidies by two years in March 2020. In Europe, regulators and industry stakeholders lean toward incentives that would favor clean powertrains. EU member states are also expected to maintain the 95-gram CO2 fleet-emission target from 2020 through 2021, though it will affect the number of vehicles sold. The US automotive market—probably the hardest hit—will require some time to recover: EV sales may stagnate for one or two years before consumer confidence recovers and people are willing to pay for EVs. One big factor in the delay is record-low oil prices, which have widely eliminated the advantage EVs had for total costs of ownership.

Now more than ever, a radically new GTM approach is required to win consumer support for EVs, since COVID-19 could fundamentally influence the attitudes of consumers toward mobility. If they have recently experienced clean air in cities, will that make them lean toward EVs? What’s more, a majority of the population is now getting used to online shopping. Will that make consumers more likely to consider buying cars online? And since people now have to avoid crowded spaces, will individual mobility increase after the pandemic ends? Finally, some consumers are avoiding gas stations. Will the ability to charge at home become a purchase consideration for EVs?

Although such questions are difficult to answer, consumers may be more reluctant than ever before to make big purchases, such as cars. Yet the increased public focus on climate change, shifting environmental regulations, and technological advances are making the case for a green-mobility transition and thus for EVs. First, however, the current GTM approach must change, and that will require both OEMs and their partners in the EV ecosystem to change as well. . . .

There's much more after that. I'm in general agreement with them, and believe that the charging infrastrucure along with better batteries are key. But that and $7.50 will get me a latte'; nobody knows how things are going to develop.

All GCC:
thyssenkrupp’s water electrolysis technology qualified as primary control reserve in Germany; hydrogen production for the electricity market

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/07/20200706-thyssenkrupp.html

. . . In the future thyssenkrupp’s electrolysis plants will be able to act as large-scale buffers to stabilize the power grid and compensate fluctuations quickly and flexibly. Operators can now link their plants to the German electricity market via E.ON’s virtual power plant.

"With this we have achieved a further important goal. Earlier tests already demonstrated that our electrolysis plants can produce green hydrogen highly efficiently and with sufficient response speed and flexibility to participate in the energy balancing market. Our plants are thus making a significant contribution to ensuring both a stable power supply and the cost-effectiveness of green hydrogen."

—Christoph Noeres, Head of the Energy Storage & Hydrogen unit at thyssenkrupp

thyssenkrupp and E.ON conducted the necessary tests jointly in an existing water electrolysis plant operating as part of the Carbon2Chem project (earlier post) in Duisburg. It was shown that thyssenkrupp’s electrolyzers can increase and decrease their production at the speed required to participate in the premium primary reserve market. Prerequisites include being able to provide full supply within max. 30 seconds and maintain it for at least 15 minutes.

In order to bring the fluctuating availability of electricity from renewable sources into line with electricity demand, solutions are needed for the storage and subsequent use of surplus energy. Water electrolysis produces green hydrogen that can be stored for hours, days or months, converted back into electricity or used as a clean, CO2-free starting material in the mobility sector or for the production of sustainable chemicals.

Another central requirement is the need to stabilize the power grid against short-term fluctuations. As a two-in-one solution, thyssenkrupp’s industrial-scale water electrolysis process meets both criteria, allowing operators maximum flexibility and cost-efficiency: Hydrogen production is ramped up within seconds when surplus energy needs to be used and scaled back when output is low. Plant operators can market their willingness to adapt flexibly to general electricity demand and thus generate additional revenues. . . .

The patented design of the electrolysis cells allows system efficiencies of more than 80%. The electrolysis units are supplied as prefabricated 20 MW modules and can be combined easily into hydrogen plants with capacities in the multi-megawatt to gigawatt range.

GlobalData: hydrogen to become game changer as large-scale source of cleaner power

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/07/20200706-globaldata.html

In the short- to medium-term, hydrogen technology could be used to replace compressed natural gas (CNG) in some areas with minor changes to the existing infrastructure, according to GlobalData, a leading data and analytics company.

GlobalData’s latest report, ‘Thematic Research: Hydrogen’, highlights that countries worldwide are striving to accelerate the development and use of hydrogen technology to tackle environmental concerns and enhance energy security. The technology has the capability to serve as a long-term, large-scale clean energy storage medium that aids power generation from renewable sources, however, formulating a cost-effective and well-regulated transition is a complex issue and the cost of producing hydrogen from renewable energy sources is currently expensive. . . .

Direct link to report (pay): https://store.globaldata.com/report/gdpe-tr-s027--hydrogen-thematic-research/

IEA’s Hydrogen TCP undergoes a major revamp to support global implementation of hydrogen and international collaboration

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/07/20200705-iea.html

GRA said:
WetEV said:
Most of your bolded assertions are nonsense, unless nothing changes in the future.

That's a very very funny way of saying those assertions are true. You made my morning.

Hydrogen is too expensive, and the cheapest hydrogen comes from fossil fuels. A huge amount of hydrogen is needed for industrial processes, and even if renewable hydrogen from overproduction of solar/wind became as cheap as hydrogen from fossil fuels it would first need to displace industrial uses. However, note that renewable hydrogen from renewable electric power is always going to be three or more times the cost of renewable electric power unless someone repeals the laws of thermodynamics. Or someone develops some radically novel way to produce hydrogen.

GRA said:
Hydrogen car performance is quite typical of most cars now, and if anyone wanted to build an ultra high-performance FCEV they could. It's just a matter of providing a powerful enough motor along with a battery pack able to supply enough surge current to handle rapid accel. Someone undoubtedly will build one, eventually.

This "ultra high-performance FCEV" could be made even higher performance by just removing the fuel cells. Hydrogen has a good energy density, but fuel cells don't have a good power density.

GRA said:
FCEVs currently available cost considerably less than say a Model S of roughly comparable max. range (practical range is greater for the FCEV), despite their much lower production volumes. How much the manufacturers may be subsidizing their price is unknown. Economies of scale will bring prices down just as they have for BEVs (and every other mass-produced product).

That should be price rather than cost, as you point out the hydrogen cars are subsidized by the manufacturers. Range isn't why people buy a Model S rather than a Honda Civic. The Civic has larger range. So what? Yes, the Civic would fit your (GRA's) needs better than an electric. But you are not in the first half of electric car adopters, due to your wants and needs.

GRA said:
Lowering the cost of sustainable H2 is the key factor in FCEV viability. Everything else is minor.

Renewable hydrogen is going to be 3 times the cost of renewable electric power at best due to the laws of thermodynamics. Yes, that is a lot cheaper than today. And yes, hydrogen might gain a niche like electric cars have today... some day in the distant future.

GRA said:
There's much more after that. I'm in general agreement with them, and believe that the charging infrastrucure along with better batteries are key. But that and $7.50 will get me a latte'; nobody knows how things are going to develop.
Making my latte at home costs under $2. About 25 cents for the coffee, about 150 cents for the milk, and something for electric power.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:

That's a very very funny way of saying those assertions are true. You made my morning.

It's a way of pointing out that the current situation isn't going to remain static. You seem to believe that only batteries will improve, while everything to do with H2 and fuel cells won't. This is completely unrealistic. The question is HOW MUCH each of them will improve and how much relative to the other, not whether they will.

WetEV said:
Hydrogen is too expensive, and the cheapest hydrogen comes from fossil fuels. A huge amount of hydrogen is needed for industrial processes, and even if renewable hydrogen from overproduction of solar/wind became as cheap as hydrogen from fossil fuels it would first need to displace industrial uses. However, note that renewable hydrogen from renewable electric power is always going to be three or more times the cost of renewable electric power unless someone repeals the laws of thermodynamics. Or someone develops some radically novel way to produce hydrogen.

As I've pointed out over and over, it doesn't matter how efficient it is compared to directly charging batteries, if it provides capability that batteries lack but customers want. You know, the same way even more energy-inefficient fossil-fueled ICEs do now. And developing a radically new way of producing H2 is exactly what much of the R&D is aimed at. Always assuming the H2 can be produced in the necessary quantity, of course, but that's one reason I'm in favor of PHFCEVs, to use each tech where its advantages are most and its disadvantages least important.

WetEV said:
GRA said:

This "ultra high-performance FCEV" could be made even higher performance by just removing the fuel cells. Hydrogen has a good energy density, but fuel cells don't have a good power density.

Please define "good power density". Current stacks in cars produce around 3kW/L, roughly double the preceding gen. Being conservative, I expect the next gen will probably be 4kW/L if not more. Either way, the power density is ample. The issue with fuel cells isn't power density, it's ramp rate, which is what the battery is there to provide. But a fuel cell and H2 storage gets lighter and smaller than a battery pack as the required range increases, which is why long-haul trucks will be FCEVs (always barring an enormous improvement in battery energy densities, longevity, and recharging times), but local P&D trucks will be BEVs.

WetEV said:
GRA said:

That should be price rather than cost, as you point out the hydrogen cars are subsidized by the manufacturers. Range isn't why people buy a Model S rather than a Honda Civic. The Civic has larger range. So what? Yes, the Civic would fit your (GRA's) needs better than an electric. But you are not in the first half of electric car adopters, due to your wants and needs.

The reason people buy a Civic instead of a Model S (or some more expensive ICE) is because they can only afford a Civic.

BTW, it's my needs not wants that hold me back. I want a ZEV, but as none (including the necessary energy replenishment infrastructure) yet exist that meet my needs, I'm forced to wait.

WetEV said:
GRA said:

Renewable hydrogen is going to be 3 times the cost of renewable electric power at best due to the laws of thermodynamics. Yes, that is a lot cheaper than today. And yes, hydrogen might gain a niche like electric cars have today... some day in the distant future.

Or much sooner, starting in Europe and other high fuel-tax countries, and spreading as the price drops further.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
Making my latte at home costs under $2. About 25 cents for the coffee, about 150 cents for the milk, and something for electric power.

Which tells us absolutely nothing about your ability, or anyone else's, to accurately forecast the future.

Speaking of reducing stack costs, via GCC:
Semcon developing new robotic cell with vision technology to streamline fuel cell production

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/07/20200707-semcon.html

. . . This new robotic cell will fully automate part of the production flow, which requires high precision. We will be using advanced vision technology to ensure that the assembly has the accuracy required and to assure the quality of the fuel cell after the assembly process.

—Thomas Lydhig, technical project manager at Semcon

Semcon is part of a comprehensive project that embraces the entire production process for mass-producing fuel cells and which has developed the test concept for the new robotic cell. . . . (Earlier post.)

From reading elsewhere over the years, there's apparently a high scrappage rate using current production methods, so this kind of tech should reduce that and lower cell costs. Edit: Found this old link which talks about how Toyota was working on the same issue to allow them to boost production, at that time, from 3k to 30k annually:
https://insideevs.com/news/325810/toyota-mirai-production-ceiling-is-3000-units-per-year/

Back