Official Tesla Model Y Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dgpcolorado said:
LeftieBiker said:
I'm not entirely following this. Tesla's heat pump scavenges heat from the motors, which are adjusted to produce waste heat for this purpose. At what temp does this process begin? IOW, how low can the heat pump move enough heat from the atmosphere to heat the cabin, without the car having to start "running too lean" as it were, to provide cabin heat? How much less energy does this use at frigid temps than a PTC? Graphs were never my strong suit...
As I understand it, the energy savings of the heat pump (COP >1) depends on both the ambient temperature and the heating load (how much heating is needed). If Figure 32 is representative of the system in the Model Y, the extra heat generation begins to be used in blend mode between 10ºC to -10ºC, depending on load, and is the primary source of heat below -10ºC. At very cold temperatures the efficiency would be much the same as a conventional PTC heater.

It is a bit early to know what the actual numbers on a Model Y will be.
Keep in mind that the motor generates waste heat anyway even if you don't detune it. Using the heat pump to steal that heat is more efficient than stealing it from cold air and cools the motor as well. Detuning to generate more heat is still cheaper than a separate heating system with a resistive heater. Heating and cooling the battery pack is necessary anyway so using a heat pump ought to be a better solution for that too. The heat pump doesn't need to scavenge heat from the air at all. I suspect that the heat pump only dumps heat to the external radiator.

The heat pump doesn't need to scavenge heat from the air at all.

Not unless you want heat on a cold morning, from a cold car. What you describe is a system that delivers heat about 10 minutes after driving starts, much like a cast iron ICE.

LeftieBiker said:
The heat pump doesn't need to scavenge heat from the air at all.

Not unless you want heat on a cold morning, from a cold car. What you describe is a system that delivers heat about 10 minutes after driving starts, much like a cast iron ICE.
Point taken but the motor and coolant still form a large heat sink to draw from and would be at least at ambient temperature or better. Maybe if you were going to preheat the cabin on a cold morning then you might want to use outside air. In either case, the heat pump would start to heat the cabin just as quickly. Car doesn't need to warm up before the heat pump will work. Sucking heat out of cold air is much harder than sucking it out of circulating liquid coolant. Air has a much lower specific heat than water. Using the coolant as a heat source would allow the heat pump to operate efficiently at a lower temp than you could using air as a heat source.

Looks like the Model Y launch was the smoothest ever for Tesla. A whole bunch got delivered up here in MA last Friday.

Finally had my first confirmed sighting in the wild of a Model Y a couple of nights ago. Even with the large decrease in traffic I thought I would have seen one before this, but I only had one possible sighting previously.

Couldn't say for sure whether or not that was an X or Y, as it was at night at distance, from the rear, and I was trying to judge how far the rear hatch comes down into the bumper. I saw the one the other night closer from the side, where the door handle shapes and locations made the I.D. definite.

Maybe Cwerdna's seen more of them down in the South Bay?

GRA said:
Rain effects on range.
Combined effect on range from his 21" wheels. I only watched the silly half hour video long enough to hear him say something like "these will be great for the track".

We rented and drove a Model Y over the weekend (our first experience drivings a Tesla). Truly a great car, we even went camping in it to try out the camp mode... hilarious but actually pretty comfortable for two people 5'10" and under.

It was a performance trim with the performance upgrades so while it looked slick, the ride left a little something to be desired as you could feel pretty much every bump or crack in the road. There were some fit and finish issues like the driver's window catching when going up and the trunk hatch catching on the taillight when opening... but otherwise looked and felt good.

We're in Ohio and have only seen one Model Y otherwise so it was cool to be able to drive one for ourselves.

The latest from the Wall Street Journal Dan Neil's Rumble Seat column:
"Is Tesla’s Model Y Crossover the World’s Best Car? After years of extravagant R&D, the Silicon Valley car maker has accumulated a pile of patents and a mountain of innovations. No wonder the Model Y is years ahead of the competition, says Dan Neil."
and
"From behind the wheel of the Model Y, every competitor in the category feels like a sluggish, sloppy antique."

Bouldergramp said:
The latest from the Wall Street Journal Dan Neil's Rumble Seat column:
"Is Tesla’s Model Y Crossover the World’s Best Car? After years of extravagant R&D, the Silicon Valley car maker has accumulated a pile of patents and a mountain of innovations. No wonder the Model Y is years ahead of the competition, says Dan Neil."
and
"From behind the wheel of the Model Y, every competitor in the category feels like a sluggish, sloppy antique."

I love his stylized writing.
My favorite phrase may be where he refers to the Model Y as “...little dreadnought of innovation”.

My wife just picked hers up yesterday. She absolutely loves it. Sits up a little higher, easier to get in and out.
I am really looking forward to seeing how efficient the heat pump is next winter.

Contactless pickup went well. We found no issues with the car.

Test drove a Dual Motor Long Range today. Pretty great car, but a couple things really annoyed me:

- Acceleration was not as fast from a full stop as the 3. There's a weird little half-second of delay
- Rearview window is so small it was essentially unusable, side mirrors are also tiny. Blind spots are huge! Couldn't trust AP cameras, kept having to look over my shoulder
- Networking didn't work, apparently getting satellite maps costs $10/month?
- Seat lumbar support cushion/balloon was super annoying, way too big (and I let it shrink to its minimum size for a whole minute)
- AC is super loud yet it doesn't go to 11 :cry:
- Lots of skittery wind noise around 70 mph
- Seating position is just like a minivan, but it drives like a sportscar.
- Lane departure warning seems to wear itself out after one event
- Bumper paint color didn't match the rest of the car. Most of the cars in the lot had little bits of crud stuck between the panels
- I don't quite believe the "316 mile range" figure given that I burned 28 miles of range in ~12 miles of highway and mountain driving
- Way too fast overall. Just overkill.

Conclusion: would not personally buy, but it's within 0.1 dB of what the American public wants in almost every dimension.

Thank you for that! The window is it like a Prius (did you ever drive one of those?) I found that small window not great.
Surprised at the small delay as electric is typically instant torque, the Y is supposed to do 0-60 in 4.8 seconds which will leave my Plus behind.

I also understand no blind spot monitoring which combined with poor visibility is not good.

salyavin said:
Thank you for that! The window is it like a Prius (did you ever drive one of those?) I found that small window not great.
Surprised at the small delay as electric is typically instant torque, the Y is supposed to do 0-60 in 4.8 seconds which will leave my Plus behind.

I also understand no blind spot monitoring which combined with poor visibility is not good.

I've driven a Prius a few times but don't really remember the rear-view. The main issue with the Y's rear view is that the car is also very long, so it's a relatively narrow field of view.

eFzrUHS.jpg

Leaving the Leaf in the rear view. Same thing I did when I switched to Model 3. I agree rear visibility is not great, but front visibility is much better than most any modern car. Rear in most modern cars is not great, and Model 3 is about the same.

Back