CARFAX Question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dewhad

If CARFAX says "battery replaced" how to know which battery? 12V or? Looking at two 2015s with "battery replaced" per CARFAX- both show 12/12 bars, can't check with OBD LeafSpy because it will be shipped :(

A. 2015 SL with 65k, lived in Ohio

B. 2015 S with 49k, lived in Virginia

It will live in Memphis, TN.

We really only want a backup camera as a feature, and no serious cosmetic issues. The leather and Bose on option A are not make-or-break.

When CarFax says "battery replaced" on their report, they mean the 12 volt battery. You can confirm this by having a Nissan dealer run the VIN for the service records. Sorry.

All else being equal, the car that resided in the cooler local climate is the better bet. Since Virginia has cool micro-climates in some parts of the state, and Ohio has some Hot micro-climates, you need to try to find the actual cities.

Ok great, that makes sense. Thank you. Looks like Cuyahoga Falls, OH but it’s now a 2016 with 31k. I studied up on all this in Jan/Feb but since I work in medicine my brain has been overtaken with other things :) I need to check your note that has the new March 2020 info.

The problem is as you discovered, car fax is a little vague.
The dealer will know for sure, a main drive battery change is a pretty major recall and/or maintenance item they should have a record of it one way or the other.

The person selling the car should be pretty adamant about the car having a fresh main battery. The guy selling my leaf was very proud of his 2011 leaf with 2014 battery.

dewhad said:
Ok great, that makes sense. Thank you. Looks like Cuyahoga Falls, OH but it’s now a 2016 with 31k. I studied up on all this in Jan/Feb but since I work in medicine my brain has been overtaken with other things :) I need to check your note that has the new March 2020 info.

The short version of the update: if the 2016 has the 30kwh pack (isn't a 24kwh Leaf S from the first half of 2016) then if it has not had the BMS update and still has 11 or 12 bars, it's a good pack. (You have to be able to believe the seller here, though.) If it's had the update recently, it's an unknown quantity unless you actually test the range by driving it, or the capacity by charging it fully and measuring the KWHs added. Finally, if the pack is in poor shape capacity-wise, it should be eligible for a 40kwh warranty replacement from Nissan. That new development makes what was an Iffy purchase a possible Great Deal - IF you don't mind the extra hassle.

Ok. It's a Feb 2016 build with the 4th character A. So looks like 24kwh. 12 bars and looks to be in pretty good shape. If this one falls through we'll still be on the hunt.

Back