Does Trump's Election Spell the End for Federal EV Subsidies?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WetEV said:
As for Donald Trump, his position will depend on who he is talking to. I have not a clue what Trump will do. I don't think Trump does as well.
I've long been convinced that the only thing The Donald actually believes in is his own magnificence; everything else is negotiable.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
As for Donald Trump, his position will depend on who he is talking to. I have not a clue what Trump will do. I don't think Trump does as well.
I've long been convinced that the only thing The Donald actually believes in is his own magnificence; everything else is negotiable.
To paraphrase Kramer in The Dealership he's taking us to a little place I like to call "we'll see".

GRA said:
Pretty insignificant after almost six years. This year, U.S. sales of PEVs are running around 0.7% nationally, IIRR. I expect a small spike when the Bolt and Prius Prime arrive,

Sales of PEVs were 1.1% in November 2016.

Bolt isn't out yet. Prius Prime is out, but a small player.

https://cleantechnica.com/2016/12/03/us-electric-cars-sales-44-november-1-1-us-car-sales/

Sure, 1.1% is still "pretty insignificant". And I'm sure you will stay the same about 2%, 5% and 10%.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
Pretty insignificant after almost six years. This year, U.S. sales of PEVs are running around 0.7% nationally, IIRR. I expect a small spike when the Bolt and Prius Prime arrive,

Sales of PEVs were 1.1% in November 2016.

Bolt isn't out yet. Prius Prime is out, but a small player.

https://cleantechnica.com/2016/12/03/us-electric-cars-sales-44-november-1-1-us-car-sales/

Sure, 1.1% is still "pretty insignificant". And I'm sure you will stay the same about 2%, 5% and 10%.
10% will be significant, as it's approaching mass market acceptance, say 15%. 5% will be significant in the sense that it will exceed the sales % that HEVs have ever achieved in the U.S., ~4% IIRR. Personally, I consider the next semi-significant step for PEVs will be when one nameplate's U.S. annual sales exceed the highest monthly sales of a common ICE, say Civic/Corolla/Camry/Accord/RAV4. Or when all PEVs' U.S. annual sales exceed the U.S. annual sales of any one of those five ICEs. Nov. and YTD, here's how many each of those five have sold ( http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_3022-autosales.html#autosalesC):

Camry, 28,189 / 355,204
RAV4, 28,116 / 314,925
Accord, 27,182 / 311,352
Toyota Corolla / Matrix, 26,747 / 331,081
Honda Civic, 25,303 / 335,445

There's a ways to go yet, but maybe they'll reach one of those marks next year. I figure the Prius Prime's got the best shot.

Well, the fun begins.

The first released draft of the House GOP tax cuts for billionaires has no more tax credit for EVs.

It is not clear that the House GOP can agree on what time to break for lunch.

Donald Trump is a completely incompetent leader — we know this. Literally any other president would have done a better job. He couldn't accept that the crisis was real and that his "plan" to spend the year holding fun rallies and smearing his Democratic rival was going to be interrupted by his duties as president. So he lived in denial until the situation was completely out of hand. Other leaders would have listened to experts and pulled together a team that knew how to organize a national response. And no other president would be so witless as to waste precious time and resources with magical thinking about quick miracle cures.

But it's not just him, is it? The U.S. government seems to have lost its capacity to act, and the private sector is so invested in short-term profit-making that it's lost its innovative edge. The result is that the United States of America, formerly the world's leader in science and technology, now only leads the world in gruesome statistics and body counts.
https://www.salon.com/2020/04/27/american-vandal-trump-reveals-our-staggering-incompetence-before-the-whole-world/

very bias and you see what you want to see...moving on...since there is nothing to see here. Really, quoting something from a liberal San Fran. tabloid. too funny!

Meanwhile, your beloved Democratic leaders were going forth with a fake impeachment hearing and not worried about anything else but trying to grab their power back. Fake news right along with them.

Learjet said:
very bias and you see what you want to see...moving on...since there is nothing to see here. Really, quoting something from a liberal San Fran. tabloid. too funny!

Meanwhile, your beloved Democratic leaders were going forth with a fake impeachment hearing and not worried about anything else but trying to grab their power back. Fake news right along with them.

Republican President was in charge, so of course it was ALL the Democratic leaders fault. Completely. Totally. :lol: :roll:

Leadership doesn't pay anymore. Denial of responsibility is what works for Donald Trump. Even when responsible. That must change. Or the USA will fall apart.

Who's looking forward to voting for biden?
I'm not, I'll probably stay home, drink and watch the election get called before the mountain time zone polls close.

I've been voting in presidential elections since 1980, and I've either been voting for the lesser of two evils or, as California has voted reliably Democratic since 1992, for whichever minor party candidate I liked best. As the state election result was pre-ordained, my vote wasn't going to affect the outcome and was thus free, as California, like most states, gives all our electoral votes to whoever has a plurality of the popular vote.

This year is different - although my vote still won't affect the outcome, I'll vote for Biden, not only to change the government's environmental policies, but also as a way of registering my disgust at having our country represented to the world by an impulsive, petty, vindictive, corrupt, mendacious, bullying narcissist who never met a dictator he couldn't be buddies with, or the leader of a democracy he couldn't make an enemy of.

I'm going to wait for the platform before I decide whether to vote for Biden or whoever the Greens run. New York is also a non-battleground state. Or to put it another way, if Biden is fighting for NY, then the election is definitely lost for him.

Party platforms make good confetti, which is about as much attention as the candidate pays to them if they win. Their agenda is their priority, not whatever the "let's throw this into the platform to appease this group" ideas get added at conventions. Ever since we went to primaries conventions have been essentially meaningless. The 2020 platform is simple: "If we don't elect Biden, it's 4 more years of the Dumpster. All else is secondary."

LeftieBiker said:
I'm going to wait for the platform before I decide whether to vote for Biden or whoever the Greens run. New York is also a non-battleground state. Or to put it another way, if Biden is fighting for NY, then the election is definitely lost for him.

I'm hoping Wyoming is the battleground state. 49 or 50?

LeftieBiker said:
Name a Republican President in modern history whose defeat wasn't more important than anything else to the Democrats.

Pretty much all of them, but Bush 41 was probably the least critical. I'd say this one's arguably more important than 2004 or 1972 for the country as a whole, not just Dems.

August 8th,1974 gave me one of the biggest senses of relief I've felt for the country, and I'm hoping Nov. 3rd, 2020 and Jan. 20th, 2021 will generate similar feelings.

WetEV said:
LeftieBiker said:

I'm hoping Wyoming is the battleground state. 49 or 50?

The number I care about come November is 270 in the direction I want - everything else is gravy. But 500 - 38 or so would be nice, not that I'm expecting it. I'll be happy if, on Nov. 4th, I see the obvious New York tabloid headline I've been dreaming about for the past four years.

GRA said:
The number I care about come November is 270 in the direction I want - everything else is gravy. But 500 - 38 or so would be nice, not that I'm expecting it. I'll be happy if, on Nov. 4th, I see the obvious New York tabloid headline I've been dreaming about for the past four years.
270 might not be enough.

Trump cheats.

535, that is probably enough. 538 might be better.

OT. For those who just can't get enough of anti-Trump rants (I'm personally waiting quietly to vote), Google "Irish times Fintan O'Toole Donald Trump has destroyed" from 4/25. I hope it makes you feel better, not that it will change anything.

Back