Porsche Taycan - A 300 mile EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since Taycan I tested Model 3 Performance and Model S 100P. Both provide similar experience for 0-60.
It differs though in a few other areas:
1. When accelerating from 20-60 - it is not the same as 0-60, not even close
2. Anything above 60 mph is anemic

Taycan pulls with same heavy force in any scenarios (at least to 95 mph - the safe max I reached during testing considering the road). The only way to stop it is to let go of accelerator.

Anyway, after doing quite a few pull ups in a short period of time I can only say - your body can take a few with excitement, but after that it would hurt a bit. I would say anything less than 3s 0-60 is going to take a toll on your body. So the sweet spot is between 3-4 secs.

Soon Tycan 4S should become available and it is within sweet spot ~3.6 secs. I am pretty sure with performance package (includes same battery as Turbo and Turbo S) it should be comparable to Turbo, although Porsche is pointing to no change in the 0-60 time with performance package, but it has the same power output and torque as Turbo. Will see...

For those that follow comparative BEV accelerations;

https://insideevs.com/reviews/410884/bev-acceleration-compared-us-april-21-2020/

I suppose 0-60 really matters for someone in the market for a Porsche. Based upon that chart, a Taycan buyer will be very happy.

Personally, I've never cared about 0-60 times. OTOH, I really loved my LEAF for it's instantaneous torque and 0-30 performance; e.g., when I was first at a red light and it went green, I loved being able to pull away from all the other cars.

jlv said:
I suppose 0-60 really matters for someone in the market for a Porsche. Based upon that chart, a Taycan buyer will be very happy.

Personally, I've never cared about 0-60 times. OTOH, I really loved my LEAF for it's instantaneous torque and 0-30 performance; e.g., when I was first at a red light and it went green, I loved being able to pull away from all the other cars.

Elon likes to promote it;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/elon-musk-says-theres-something-20057253

He likes lots of things -- some of which do matter. I do suppose the number of people who've bought Tesla performance version cars is definite a sign that some people think this is important. (It just isn't to me)

What I meant with my post two above is that there is the perception that someone who buys a Porsche is looking for a performance car. By all accounts the Taycan definitely delivers!

jlv said:

I'm in partial agreement with you - I never much cared about 0-60 as long as I could do a safe freeway merge from a metering light (my dad's Peugeot 504D's 28.1 sec. 0-60 could make that a white knuckle affair on occasion), but I do care about passing acceleration and with a BEV, range, and will happily trade some 0-20 accel to gain improvements in those areas. But I'm not a Porsche customer.

I care about 0-60 times, but having grown up in the Seventies I have some perspective. My first car (not the first one I drove - that was a V-8 Plymouth Sport Suburban wagon) was a Volvo 122S with a terrible Borg-Warner 3 speed automatic that took about 15 seconds to get the car to 60MPH. It would eventually get up to 110MPH though, and because the car handled well I would eventually pass all of my friends in their American cars who were struggling to stay on the road above 80. So anything no slower than 10 seconds is fine with me. I do like being able to blast UP hills, though! If I do manage to upgrade to an SV+ the extra HP will be fun, but my 40kwh Leaf is actually fast enough for me.

LeftieBiker said:
I care about 0-60 times, but having grown up in the Seventies I have some perspective. My first car (not the first one I drove - that was a V-8 Plymouth Sport Suburban wagon) was a Volvo 122S with a terrible Borg-Warner 3 speed automatic that took about 15 seconds to get the car to 60MPH. It would eventually get up to 110MPH though, and because the car handled well I would eventually pass all of my friends in their American cars who were struggling to stay on the road above 80. So anything no slower than 10 seconds is fine with me. I do like being able to blast UP hills, though! If I do manage to upgrade to an SV+ the extra HP will be fun, but my 40kwh Leaf is actually fast enough for me.

Yeah, there's a difference between 'nice to have' and 'need'. I figure any 0-60 time < 15 or maybe even 20 seconds is enough to do all routine driving , e g a traffic merge, safely - my '88 Subie was somewhere between 13-14 seconds, and while that was a bit cramping when I wanted to drive fast, I never felt the car was unsafe because of it.

So, the ca. 10 sec. 0-60 of a Prius etc. is adequate, although less is nice if it doesn't cost me in performance areas I need. My Forester's 9.6 sec., and that's never been a major impediment on the two lane mountain roads where I need to pass on short stretches. At most it might make me wait a couple of minutes for a better opportunity.

BEVs do have an advantage over naturally-aspirated ICEs at altitude in any case, as they have the same power and torque as at sea level, but much lower air resistance. My '88 Subie was a turbo, and its pedestrian performance from 115 HP at sea level rose to a much more satisfactory one in the mountains for the same reason.

"That was great. That was awesome. Take me home." Start at 6:10 for the girlfriend's mom.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/CJr7keossT0[/youtube]

Longer review.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/5KoCB-B_gvU[/youtube]

IEVS:
Porsche Taycan Sales In U.S. See Notable Improvement In Q2 2020

https://insideevs.com/news/431918/porsche-taycan-sales-us-q2-2020/

The all-electric model now accounts for one in every 15 new Porsche models.

Despite the COVID-19-related lockdown, which slowed down Porsche Taycan deliveries, the results are relatively good.

Porsche delivered a total of 12,192 new cars, which is down 20% year-over-year, but overall demand for the reportedly rebounded since April.

The all-electric Porsche Taycan, which interests us the most, saw some 818 sales, which is 6.7% of all Porsche models sold for the quarter (1 in 15 new).

Unfortunately, we don't know the sales volume of the plug-in hybrid Panamera and Cayenne, but it's already possible that well over 10% of new Porsche models sold in the U.S. are plug-ins. . . .

So far this year, Porsche has sold 1,039 Taycan (1,169 cumulatively), which is not much in the grand scheme of things, although we believe it should gradually increase to at least several thousand per year.

LeftieBiker said:
The all-electric model now accounts for one in every 15 new Porsche models.

Are they trying (but failing) to say that one of every 15 Porsche cars sold is electric...?

While the headline could be clearer, the article leaves no doubt:

[quote]Porsche delivered a total of 12,192 new cars, which is down 20% year-over-year, but overall demand for the reportedly rebounded since April.

The all-electric Porsche Taycan, which interests us the most, saw some 818 sales, which is 6.7% of all Porsche models sold for the quarter (1 in 15 new).[/quote]

Just off the top of my head, 818/12,192 = would be around 6 2/3%.

A fellow Bolt driver who I met at free public L2 charging years back when I still had only Leaf mentioned to me in email that he's getting a Taycan, arriving in October, I think. Previously, he'd said something vague about getting a car w/the "fastest charging". Before COVID-19, he eventually was getting free L2 juice at his work. He mentioned he helped get the L2 EVSEs setup and installed at his work. Previously, it sounded like he was L1 charging at work.

I told him about https://drivethearc.com/ having free CCS charging and he's been taking advantage of it now. I bumped into him again earlier tonight at a DTA location. I was returning from the restroom while my Bolt was DC FCing when I saw him pull up.

He confirmed he's getting a Taycan, said it was on order and showed me some pics of the 4 LCDs inside, including 1 for the passenger. He mentioned you can get one more for the rear passengers, which he's not opting for. He told me about some goofiness for the US market like being required to take a larger battery and their $1300 EVSE, to which i replied that's such BS. Kinda crazy to blow $100+K on an EV, if you ask me. I didn't ask if he's leasing or buying. AFAIK, he owns his Bolt.

lorenfb said:
Interesting comparison of Tesla vs Porsche "sleep" modes;
That is one of the wonders of OTA updates and Tesla -- things can get fixed before you have time to post a video.

Vampire drain in my Tesla Model 3 LR has been high in the past but nowadays Bjorn's video is out of date. Covid-19 is a good time to measure vampire drain because my car sits unused for days at a time. My latest data using the rated range remaining displayed in km shows 4 km lost in 5 days to leave the car alone except for two wake ups via phone and two wake ups by opening the car door. A km is 147 Wh in my car. This works out to ~ 5 watts vampire drain

Left alone, the car goes into a pretty deep sleep. It takes the better part of 5 seconds to wake it up via Wi-fi using the phone app. On the other hand there is no practical delay when the car is woken up by opening a door.

IEVS:
InsideEVs' Porsche Taycan 4S Real-World 70 MPH Range Test

https://insideevs.com/reviews/455628/video-porsche-taycan-4s-range-test/

. . . According to the EPA, the 4S will take you 203 miles on a single charge. Porsche received a lot of criticism when the Taycan came along, since a range of around 200 miles is low for a new EV, and especially one with such a high sticker price. However, many folks have proven that the Taycan can do much better, including our own Tom Moloughney.

As usual, Conner started with a full charge and saw over 270 kW charging speed at an Electrify America station. He ran the normal, loop-style highway test until the Taycan 4S was rendered useless. It actually died on the way to the charger. Fortunately, he shut the car off and then started it again and it gave him enough boost to get to the charging station.

Tom and Kyle both run these tests the same way and work hard to make sure that they are as consistent as possible, though there are always variables. According to Conner, he tried to keep it so that there were no cars in front of him and he used RANGE mode. The HVAC remains turned on in ECO mode, and the tires are set to the manufacturer's specifications.

The good news here is, even with the Taycan 4S wearing the largest and widest wheels available for the car, it destroyed the EPA's range estimate, with an impressive 278 miles. . . .

Edmunds:
Tesla Model Y vs. Porsche Taycan: Real-World Range Test

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/tesla-model-y-vs-porsche-taycan-real-world-range-test.html#

According to EPA range estimates, the Tesla Model Y trounces the Porsche Taycan — but the EPA tests in a lab.

Do the estimates hold up in the real world? Edmunds' test results have something to say about that.

TLDR: The Taycan beat the Model Y by a whopping 70 miles in our testing, yet the EPA says it should lose by 88 miles. So what gives? . . . .

Taycan 4S 323 mi. (203 EPA); Mod Y Performance 253 mi. (EPA 291). Details of test regime given. Edmunds only charged the Mod Y to 90% per Tesla recommendations for daily use, as Tesla allows owners to use a greater % if the total capacity. They estimated the Mod. Y would gain about 25 miles of range if charged to 100%.

This is the base model Taycan. Glad to see Porsche continuing to be very conservative with their ranges.

Back