New Owner, first EV, Looking for general suggestions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I might have traded all of the fluff options I got for the All Weather option, but you have to work with what's in front of you. I watch our area deals for months before I pull the trigger. Surprisingly, I find the '19 SV Plus heater works exceptionally well and much better than our 2018 S. With cloth seats, there is no need for heated seats. I like value and it is very easy to lose sight of your deal if you start adding options you hadn't planned on or really don't need. Like I mentioned to a previous poster, I know the exact car I am going to buy and the price I am going to pay before I head to the dealership. I won't deal with dealerships that don't advertise their prices online. We all know you must verify the deal specifics (repeatedly) over the phone BEFORE you ever head to the dealership. I am absolutely tickled with our '19 SV Plus. Love the added range, dynamic cruise, and the ability to control (and analyze) the car with my Apple watch.

TBL,

Since you say 62% charge when you get home, I assume your commute is 70 miles round trip (35 each way) mostly highway. My commute is 52 miles round trip with about 20 miles each way in the carpool lane on the freeway. Many here will dispute my comments, but I will offer them anyway:

I have been driving LEAFs for daily use since June 2011 in a climate significantly hotter than yours and I almost always charge to 100% and discharge to relatively low charge levels before charging. I use DCQC when necessary and don't really worry about battery temperature (because I bought each car to use). The original and replacement (warranty) batteries in the 2011 deteriorated faster than they should have, but I have no regrets with the 2011 except that it was destroyed. Capacity gradually dropped over time in the 2015 until a few cells became really weak and usable range began dropping rapidly. I decided to replace the 2015 after 3-1/2 years and 82,000 miles because it was to the point where I had to take surface streets and stop at a public charging station each evening to get home. I probably could have had the battery replaced under warranty if I had continued driving it until the weak cells deteriorated enough further to set diagnostic trouble codes, but I wanted the extra range, horsepower, and better battery warranty of the 2019 SL Plus. Based upon Leaf Spy AHr and SOH readings, there has been a little less than 2% loss of capacity in 8 months and 15,000 miles use on the 2019.

There are just two precautions I always observe to minimize battery deterioration:
1. I always make sure the battery is no higher than 70% and no lower than 40% SOC when the car will be parked for more than a day or two.
2. I never plug the car in to recharge when the battery is higher than 70% SOC (usually much lower unless I need maximum range for a trip).

I believe you will get many miles of use and be quite happy with your LEAF.

Back