Is e-pedal retrofittable?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbrewer

Can the e-pedal one pedal driving be retrofitted to earlier Leafs or E-NV200’s?
Does anyone here have a working knowledge of its operation?

No, and no. ;) It is integrated with the hydraulic braking system, so a retrofit, for a car in which we can't even 'future fit' the 80% charge limit back, isn't feasible. There is a device called, IIRC, Leaf Box, that offers several different throttle response options, but as best as I remember none of them come as close to ePedal as does B Mode.

It is very possible to use a Muxsan CAN bridge and modify the regen behaviour to be extremely aggressive. This way you can get an almost e-pedal experience in any 2011-2017 Leaf.

That is interesting. Thanks.
I have communicated with Emile at Muxan on various topics, and found him to be very helpful.
Is there a thread somewhere on this use of the Muxan can bridge, or is this something you have experimented with yourself?

Dala said:
It is very possible to use a Muxsan CAN bridge and modify the regen behaviour to be extremely aggressive. This way you can get an almost e-pedal experience in any 2011-2017 Leaf.

This could be problematic or a safety issue as referenced here;

https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=31060#p582154

It is integrated with the hydraulic braking system

It could affect the vehicle stability in a negative way, e.g. with a wet roadway.

silverbrewer said:
That is interesting. Thanks.
I have communicated with Emile at Muxan on various topics, and found him to be very helpful.
Is there a thread somewhere on this use of the Muxan can bridge, or is this something you have experimented with yourself?

Yeah I'm currently experimenting with what is possible to have the VCM say to the inverter. Nothing groundbreaking yet. Muxsan is doing this also.

lorenfb said:
It could affect the vehicle stability in a negative way, e.g. with a wet roadway.

All mods are dangerous. :)

It should not affect too much. If the ABS system detects wheel slip, all regen braking is cancelled and the user needs to press harder on the pedal to engage mechanical brake pads. I have noticed this with the stock ~40kW of braking regen, it is quite abrupt but not so crazy that you would loose much control. Let's see how this feels at higher regen levels...

Back