Stand alone OBC/PDModule EV system Can 2015 - SOLVED

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 'plug in signal' is the signal that causes the car to beep when you plug in a charging lead. The charger detects PP connection, then sends a pulse on that line. You don't need to do anything with this line, it's unidirectional

EV activation request likewise sends a signal to the VCM when a valid CP signal is detected, so the VCM can wake up the relevant parts of the EV drivetrain to start charging. The VCM controls the battery relays for instance. This is something you can use as an input to your controller to know when it's safe to engage the battery to the charger.

It shouldn't be hard at all to get the OBC from gen1 to work. Synthesize the battery and VCM CAN messages (I'd expect you need at least: 0x1DB, 0x1DC, 0x55B, 0x5BC, 0x50B, 0x1F2) and otherwise just hard-connect a charging port and power to the OBC. I think you can get away with not even using any relays, just connect a 400V battery directly to the charger. It is a very simple bit of kit internally, I've played with it a bit and it seems to not care at all about the majority of CAN messages, even if you mangle everything but the important bits.

mux said:
The 'plug in signal' is the signal that causes the car to beep when you plug in a charging lead. The charger detects PP connection, then sends a pulse on that line. You don't need to do anything with this line, it's unidirectional

mux said:
EV activation request likewise sends a signal to the VCM when a valid CP signal is detected, so the VCM can wake up the relevant parts of the EV drivetrain to start charging. The VCM controls the battery relays for instance. This is something you can use as an input to your controller to know when it's safe to engage the battery to the charger.

That good to know that both outputs from OnBoard Charger.
So I should just be able to leave them floating.
Do you know what sort of signals they outputting ?
As I could check first that my charger is being detected by the unit first if know what to check for

mux said:
It shouldn't be hard at all to get the OBC from gen1 to work. Synthesize the battery and VCM CAN messages
(I'd expect you need at least: 0x1DB, 0x1DC, 0x55B, 0x5BC, 0x50B, 0x1F2)

and otherwise just hard-connect a charging port and power to the OBC.

I think you can get away with not even using any relays,
just connect a 400V battery directly to the charger.
It is a very simple bit of kit internally,
I've played with it a bit and it seems to not care at all about the majority of CAN messages, even if you mangle everything but the important
its.

I actual have the OnBoard charger, PDM (Junction box) and Battery with Battery Management Unit (BMU) all on bench
So should be ok with the CAN messages for battery, will be the VCM message that I need to send.
0000634_blogimages.jpeg

But I dont have a Live Gen1 Leaf that can trial to find what message need to get charger to work
It trying to work out what messages and content for CAN message that need help with.

Here's my car during a charging session: https://pastebin.com/9Ajk7UyB

As for the signal types: look up the service manuals for the Leaf, it actually has signal descriptions in the troubleshooting sections of the relevant manuals. I'd expect these signals to show up in vc, evc or evb

mux said:

Thanks MUX,
I have share that log as a Google Sheet if any one want to view and see my notes on it.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qMcoIFN4Zbs7H1oLWVb7fLfWzbGEe6qnyxMxh8PBB1k/edit#gid=1426443992

@Mux what is the 2>1 and 1>2 referring to
Did you have a dual can on Due and is connected as a bridge ?

mux said:
Thanks for this it looks very similar to my GEN2 car. I will be comparing your comments with my own shortly.
I finally received the programmer for the CAN Bridge and have now got it running and processing recorded data from the 2015 Leaf.
I have been distracted with the Virus and emergency services work. I spent my spare time getting our emergency radios (HAM) up and running. I have erected a 40 foot tower to do VHF and HF and have reinstalled all the mobile two meter rigs in the cars.
Hope to get back onto the Leaf Charger over the weekend if I am lucky.
Stay safe everyone.

[/quote]
@Mux what is the 2>1 and 1>2 referring to
Did you have a dual can on Due and is connected as a bridge ?
[/quote]
The 2>1 and 1>2 is indicating from CAN port 2 to CAN Port 1 and vice versa.

When I started this project I started doing my work with an OBDII bluetooth dongle hot wired into the EVCAN to collect al the data from all devices and a data analyzer that did very poor data decoding which sent me off on a tangent for a while.

Once I got serious I started using a Due and the EVTV Candue Shield with Collin Kidders code (GitHUB).
It took me a while to get it working but I was able to sort of get it to work as a bridge, there was still some handshake problems.

I picked up a CAN recorder play back device based on a OLIMEX Pic32 from a guy in the UK and have been using that to record CAN data from a working 2015. Although I have found that at high speed it also has some handshake problems and that may be related to the above.

I am now using the OLIMEX as a simulator to feed recorded data to the CAN Bridge I got from Mux which is based on an Amtel XMEGA32C4 with Three ! MCP25625 CAN bus interface. His code is written in C and is quite easy to implement.
My testing of the bridge is complete and I hope to insert the bridge between the Charger and the rest of the car electronics I have set up on a bench to see if I can't spoof the charger into charging.
Stay tuned.

@49thdiver
I'm just using a UNO with CAN module to decode and send messages. (They cheap to pick up and code also)
Im direct to the can bus of devices same as EVCAN i believe.
Its all on a bench with my setup no car (Its Gen1)

I have done more logging with OBC only on
And work out a few of packets, logs and notes on google doc
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qMcoIFN4Zbs7H1oLWVb7fLfWzbGEe6qnyxMxh8PBB1k

Message #380 from OBC
If Byte[0] = 2
then byte[2] seem to indicate charger in port (Use binary mask 1000 to check plugged in)
then byte[4] seem to indicate charger working (Use binary mask 10000 to check plugged in)

I put together the pdm module plus the engine. Pdm infects a 12 volt accumulator, but I can 't infect a high voltage battery. I took the stream off the working Nissa leaf 2015. Removed id from the tray that forms the motor. Everything starts, there are no mistakes, but the charging is not going.
The charging unit is constantly retractable.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcicLyrgxBE[/youtube]

@ybpvip, That was an interesting video, thanks for sharing.

Do you have all the High Voltage Interlock pins wired up for the PDM and "Battery Pack"? Missing interlock will prevent charging.

Where are you located?

@nlspace, We use three relays to turn off the battery. Two main and pre-charge relays.
But I cannot start the charge of the high-voltage accumulator ((. Pdm starts, but the charge does not go.
I live in Ukraine.

Just managed to get the charge light to come on
So think I have work out the CAN message to get the OBC live.
So I'm simulating the VCM with an UNO
And sending
14D, 1F2 and 50B message to it.

I'm still connected to Leaf Junction box and the battery management unit
Will look at logs now to work out if actual charging, and I will have to sort out cooling system for OBC before leave on two long ?

Does any one how hot the OBC (On board charger) and PDM (DC/DC Junction box/Power delivery module) would get during a standard charge done at home ?

ie how long could i leave on with out cooling it?

@TrueSoln, Very interesting information.
I want to test today too, but in the data stream I didn 't have id-14d. What is the syntax of this command?

The PDM can be used up to a few hundred watts uncooled. The charger same deal, maybe 250-500W uncooled for like 10 minutes. Efficiency is quite good, in excess of 85% for both, and there's a **** ton of aluminum to dissipate the few dozen watts it wastes.

Without a cooling system PDM Leaf 2013- 2017 heats up 10 minutes to 80-90 degrees Celsius and limits the current to 5 A, I personally checked on the car.

ybpvin said:
@TrueSoln, Very interesting information.
I want to test today too, but in the data stream I didn 't have id-14d. What is the syntax of this command?
@ybpvin Reminder I'm using Gen1 the OBC is separate and in the boot of car, from message seen I think I recall that Message ID:1d4 may not be on Gen2.

mux said:
The PDM can be used up to a few hundred watts uncooled. The charger same deal, maybe 250-500W uncooled for like 10 minutes. Efficiency is quite good, in excess of 85% for both, and there's a **** ton of aluminum to dissipate the few dozen watts it wastes.
PDM separate in Gen1 and if just using relay to charge and not on for DC conversion should not heat up too much.
But are working on what cooling paths for this also.

ybpvin said:
Without a cooling system PDM Leaf 2013- 2017 heats up 10 minutes to 80-90 degrees Celsius and limits the current to 5 A, I personally checked on the car.
Not actual felt any heat but my charge did seem to stop working and I turned off.
Tried again in morning and was able to see charge light again.
I took some of the CAN message during this and will see if can see a fault code,
but Kenny and I think it might have a thermal cut off, but don't take that as fact unless any one can confirm.

I'm thinking that it go hot and stopped charging.
Working on water cooling now so can try again for longer.
Just trying to see what parts have about house to create water paths

@TrueSoln, I have a similar problem. The charger starts, there are no errors, but charging does not go ((

ybpvin said:
@TrueSoln, I have a similar problem. The charger starts, there are no errors, but charging does not go ((

How do you know the charger starts ?
Is this a Gen1 or Gen2 and have you connected all the wires to the PDM (Junction box)
As when my starts to charge I can hear relays in PDM that come on.

Do you actual see the orange charge light come on one the charger module on wall ?

ybpvin said:

Did you ever get that counter added to your CAN code--i put an example code in the other thread that you were asking about. Do you have bypass wires for the HV interlocks? What are you using to negotiate the J1772 protocol with the EVSSE and the OBC?
Good luck and be safe,
kenny

TrueSoln said:
ybpvin said:

How do you know the charger starts ?
Is this a Gen1 or Gen2 and have you connected all the wires to the PDM (Junction box)
As when my starts to charge I can hear relays in PDM that come on.

Do you actual see the orange charge light come on one the charger module on wall ?

We assembled the installation on the car, as shown in the video. PDM unit and engine. I put together a can-translator and connected to the installation. The high voltage battery is connected directly. We used Consult 3 to diagnose the errors. When PDM is healthy and working, a quiet whistle is heard. I can 't hear that sound.

nlspace said:
ybpvin said:

Did you ever get that counter added to your CAN code--i put an example code in the other thread that you were asking about. Do you have bypass wires for the HV interlocks? What are you using to negotiate the J1772 protocol with the EVSSE and the OBC?
Good luck and be safe,
kenny

I borrowed my native charging unit from the Nissan Leaf for the test. Wires are connected according to standard scheme. Can-data I recorded from a serviceable car. Edited and removed the ID that forms the engine. But battery charging is not going on.

Back