240v charging problem? Won't go over 3kW rate?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ynos

Hi Folks,

Forgive me if I didn't make it to a sub forum but was unsure which one this technically falls into. I've seen people here mention 3.3kW charging but I can't hit that. The best I do is 3.07kW on a level 2 240v charger. Using the Chargepoint site and comparing with a friend who has a Nissan Leaf he's able to hit ~3.7kW off the same plug/charger. Is there something wrong with my 2012 or is 3.07kW the actual expected peak? Or is a trip to the stealership in my future to have them investigate why I can't hit the actual peak charge rate?

Model year? You actually in London in the UK? Have a Plugshare URL of the location?

US model year '11 and '12 Leafs have "3.3 kW" on-board chargers which actually are 3.3 kW max to the battery and 3.8 kW max from the "wall". I've plugged in those Leafs at work on 30 amp ChargePoint L2 (J1772) EVSEs at my work and they actually pull about 3.8 kW from the "wall" even though are supply voltage is ~208 volts.

(My '13 Leaf w/6.6 kW OBC only usually does 5.7 to 6.0, sometimes 6.1 kW on those. 208 volts * 30 amps = 6,240 watts = 6.2 kW. The highest output I usually see on those EVSEs is ~6.2 kW with Teslas of all models.)

The OP has a 2012 Leaf.

It is likely normal, especially if your voltage is...220? I don't know if they will pull more amps to compensate for voltages below 240 volts.

LeftieBiker said:
The OP has a 2012 Leaf.

It is likely normal, especially if your voltage is...220? I don't know if they will pull more amps to compensate for voltages below 240 volts.
It seems they do given that our supply voltage at work is ~208 volts and the '11 and '12 Leafs (which only have the "3.3 kW" OBCs) end up pulling 3.8 kW. I've also plugged in gen 1 volts and Spark EVs (which have GM's "3.3 kW" OBCs) into the same 30 amp EVSEs and those only pull about 3.0 to 3.1 kW at my work.

cwerdna said:
LeftieBiker said:
The OP has a 2012 Leaf.

It seems they do given that our supply voltage at work is ~208 volts and the '11 and '12 Leafs (which only have the "3.3 kW" OBCs) end up pulling 3.8 kW. I've also plugged in gen 1 volts and Spark EVs (which have GM's "3.3 kW" OBCs) into the same 30 amp EVSEs and those only pull about 3.0 to 3.1 kW at my work.

OK, good to know. Thanks.

My 2011 would draw more current at 208 volts nominal (usually about 212 at my workshop) than at 240 volts nominal at home (usually about 242 or a little higher) so that the input power was the same. My car would typically draw about 3.8 kW so there could be something wrong with the OP's car, but I would not worry about it as long as it charges consistently unless the charge rate drops way down. If the car has a DC quick charge port, you could try DCQC and see if it charges at a fast rate or if it charges slow. If it charges slow on DCQC, that would indicate one or more weak cells in the battery pack or problems with the lithium battery controller (LBC which is also referred to as the BMS or battery management system).

Back