2011 Charging Problems

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lloydu

Help PLEASE! My 2011 Leaf charges ok with the OEM 110v and dealer’s 220 quick
charger. Joined the Enel X program and was sent a Juice Box Pro 40. Upon plugging into the charge port (right, small one) I get one beep, no blue dash lights, Enel X sends me a replacement, same result. Dealer does diagnostics ($150) says everything is fine, another replacement Juice Box, same result, back to dealership for evaluation, everything ok, new model JB with same result. Folks 4 Juice Box units cannot be all defective. Frustrated after 4 units, 2 dealer visits and no solution. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

If the dealer's level 2 charging station (which is NOT a Quick Charger) doesn't do a diode check, your car may have a failed diode in the charging port system. There are tutorials on YouTube on how to check the diode.

Maybe they are not defective, but they are not suited for your car. Does the 2011 has a 3kw or 6kW on-board chargger? The eMW JB is a 10kW capable EVSSE, way oversized for the OBC. Sure it should work, but with all the bells and whistles, wifi, phone app, JB network, etc. anything not set just right could be locking it up.

Valery at eMW started making those chargger boxes as an $99 open source kickstarter project. Not so open source anymore, nor inexpensive.

nlspace said:
Maybe they are not defective, but they are not suited for your car. Does the 2011 has a 3kw or 6kW on-board chargger? The eMW JB is a 10kW capable EVSSE, way oversized for the OBC. Sure it should work, but with all the bells and whistles, wifi, phone app, JB network, etc. anything not set just right could be locking it up.

Valery at eMW started making those chargger boxes as an $99 open source kickstarter project. Not so open source anymore, nor inexpensive.
The '11/12 Leafs only had the 3.6kwh charger, well unless it had the extremely rare Bersa aftermarket option. Also even if the JB was a 80kwh the car would still only draw a max of 3.6kw. To me it sounds like the JB may be wired incorrectly?? have you tried it on another EV or again as Leftie said, if it works on L2 at the dealer it's got to be something in your wiring. JB's are well built, you're not going to get 4 bad ones.

jjeff said:
The '11/12 Leafs only had the 3.6kwh charger, well unless it had the extremely rare Bersa aftermarket option. Also even if the JB was a 80kwh the car would still only draw a max of 3.6kw.
No. They had "3.3 kW" OBCs that were actually 3.3 kW max output to the battery but actually 3.8 kW max from the wall. "kwh" makes no sense to describe chargers as it's the wrong unit.

I've personally plugged in numerous '11 and '12 Leafs into our ChargePoint CT-2000 series and later CT-4000 series L2 EVSEs and those cars pull ~3.8 kW at 208 volts.

If it works using the Nissan-branded L1 EVSE and works fine over CHAdeMO, it's likely a blown diode in the on-board charger. The former doesn't do a diode check and the latter bypasses the OBC. Allegedly, the Nissan-branded Aerovironment (now Webasto) L2 EVSE (https://www.plugincars.com/curious-what-750-gets-you-pics-guts-nissan-leafs-charge-station-106524.html) also doesn't do a diode check. If it doesn't do a diode check, then it will also charge a blown-diode in the OBC '11 and '12 Leaf.

6.6 kW OBC didn't arrive until US model year '13.

"Bersa" is actually Brusa (https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=12323).

This sounds like a grounding or wiring issue with your home 240V circuit.

Back