Unable to contact Nissan Dealer with Island wide shutdown...need creative advice

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evabuela

I own a 2012 Leaf SL with 42,000 miles on it. On March 3rd i attempted to retrieve my car from a Park and Fly lot in San Juan, Puerto Rico after a 6 day stay. When I got in the car it had no working brakes, brake light (red) came on up on left side of dash...so I left it at P&F lot and called towing service. Next day it was towed to the (only) EV certified Nissan dealership near San Juan. It sat for more than a week and then on Friday, 3/13 at 5:30 I got a call that the ABS system had failed. The service manager was going to contact Nissan regarding issue. Sudden failure of the computer system on 2012 with only 42,000 miles seems rather extreme to me. Also, I was at a loss about ABS failure because when I looked it up in the drivers manual, it describes something different than the small red "brake" light that came on when I started car.

On March 14, the governor of Puerto Rico ordered the closing of all businesses except grocery stores, pharmacies and gas stations. I fully support the wisdom of that decision. PR has an extremely fragile health care system and Covid 19 had to be dealt with quickly. She was weeks ahead of her Stateside peers and many people applaud her foresight. However, I cannot reach anyone at the dealership. I have sent multiple emails this past 4 weeks, to the service department manager, to whom I had emailed a copy of my registration on 3/13, with no response. Even if a car dealership is closed there should be some way to make contact. My car had been garaged for the past 26 months, ever since I shipped it over from the States. Now it has sat out in the hot San Juan sun for more than a month. Who knows what the damage will be to the lithium battery. My new auxillary battery will have suffered, with the car sitting undriven for more than a month now.

I need advice regarding how I can get a response from Nissan. I have already cancelled my return flight to the States...mostly in response to Covid 19, but also because I can't get my car! On 3/4 (tow date) the manager said it might take 2 or 3 weeks for any repairs because parts would have to be shipped from Japan. That was bleak enough...now I am beyond frustrated. Any suggestions are appreciated.

You may have just a near-dead 12 volt battery, and the car may just need to be 'jump-started'. I would try that first. If you can put a multimeter on the 12 volt battery you will get a better idea: below 12.2 volts and it's too low.

LeftieBiker said:
You may have just a near-dead 12 volt battery, and the car may just need to be 'jump-started'. I would try that first. If you can put a multimeter on the 12 volt battery you will get a better idea: below 12.2 volts and it's too low.
+1
Sounds like a bad 12v battery and thet would be a whole lot cheaper/quicker easier than what you were talking about. Also try and measure the voltage while someone turns the car on, sometimes it may read a higher voltage only to drastically drop under load, a jump start would eliminate this though.

Especially if it is the original 12V aux battery, it is likely worn out and too weak for the job, it is definitely old.

Get a replacement 12V battery, chargge it up before you install it. High chance this will solve your "brake" problem that prevented the car from starting.

Back