Nissan e plus Hot weather range and degradation

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rafaelcp09

Hi to everyone! I'm from sunny Puerto Rico, were temperature don't have big difference between seasons. Almost all island have temp +/- high70s- to high 80s except Metro city area that traffic jams jump temp to 100-105, and South, is very dry and temp can go to high 90s.
By 2017 we got teared up by famous Maria hurricane, 99% of island went dark, no electricity for many months, and certain areas, for couple years.
I was considering going solar, but during hurricane, saw many panels flying by or getting damage, after that saw many dump trucks full of damage panels heading to trash dumping area. Then I had the idea to call Solar companies to quote a system, and when asked about the hurricane risks, all of them told me " none a single panel of our house installations got damage, all of of them worked after Maria" . The worst BS I have heard.
Here in PR Nissan doesn't import any variants of the leaf; neither 40kwh or 62kwh. So I was thinking on importing a used 40 or 62kwh along with a Wallbox Quasar (bidirectional charger). The idea is if any hurricane, or many days of blackout due to grid problems occurs, I can give electricity to the house via Quasar (bidirectional charger). Will have a 8,000-10,000w generator to juice up the car after two or three days, depending of which kwh car is or when arrive to 15% SOC, instead of plugging the house twice a day 4-6 hours every session.
My worst worry is how the 40 and/or 62kwh will handle the temps here since I live in Metro city traffic shity jams 🤨, and car will be my conmute vehicle.
Any comment, suggestion, or daily hot weather range info will be very appreciated!!!

Wow! What a novel!! 😇

You have a good idea, but as you seem to realize there are a couple of problems. The first one is that a Leaf would be likely to suffer real, substantial degradation from the heat. Depending on your needs, a 62kwh Leaf might still work, and the 8 year 100,000 mile battery degradation warranty might work in your favor. (I would quickly eliminate the 40kwh leaf from consideration.) What are your range needs?

Second, and you may not realize this, is that it can be a problem to charge a Leaf on L-2 (208-240 volts) with a generator. It isn't impossible, but while L-1 charging is usually easy enough, you would likely have to modify the generator wiring a bit to make L-2 work, and you would definitely need a good ground for the gen.. Finally, the dual voltage charging cable that comes with the Leaf won't work with 208 volts, so you have to make sure the generator puts out about 240 volts at 30+ amps, and does it instantly and reliably, unless you want to spend many, many hours using L-1 charging.

I will know more about degradation at high temperatures in another year or two, but LEAF Spy shows capacity of 172.77 AHr now at 14164 miles vs. 175.15 AHr on 8/11/2019 at 64 miles so it has 98.6% of original capacity after being exposed to temperatures in excess of 100 F last summer and being driven 14,100 miles. The generator just needs to have neutral bonded to ground and have adequate capacity. The 8 to 10 kW generator mentioned in the original post should be adequate since my SL+ draws about 6.7 kW. As noted, voltage needs to be about 240 if you intend to use the Nissan EVSE that comes with the car. I have charged my car from my 2 kW generator at 120 volts (at 12 amperes) using the Nissan EVSE and an adapter plug to establish a connection between neutral and ground. I have also charged it at 208 volts nominal with my Clipper Creek EVSE after the Nissan unit shutdown. I tried several times, but the Nissan unit would shut down immediately after the car started to draw current (system voltage was about 212 at the time of testing).

Leftiebiker

Thanks for your reply, conmute will be +/- 30-40 miles daily basis. Maybe once a month a trip around island, about 250-300miles.

I saw that I have to make a ground in order to make work the generator charge the car.

Any clue about how much miles per charge +/- on this temperature?

Thanks again!!!

Thanks to all!!!! Very appreciated!!! Reading all your posts, have me with another idea, but I will inform later on.

Very appreciated to all for taking of your time to reply!!!

Rafael

Back