Shopping for First Leaf and Chasing Bars...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that they both are intriguing overall, but for different reasons.

The lower mileage piece is intriguing largely due to the condition of the vehicle, it appears to be very, very clean. However, I am equally of the opinion that it might be a little overpriced and being that it currently resides at a "fixed price" dealership, the challenges of moving them off this price are a little off-putting.

The higher mileage piece is intriguing largely because it appears to be pretty clean and the 11 bars. Being that it is located at a Nissan dealership, one would think getting confirmation of the current status of the BMS firmware. However, if this is a fres BMS update, it is quite possible--as I understand it--that this bar reading as well as the info from LeafSPy might not be fully accurate and needs more miles to settle. Am I right here?

Since most of the Leaf options available to me here in Indy are through online dealerships with delivery, there isn't a lot of good price-point comparison out there (except through our dear friend CarGurus). So, if anyone has any input or insight on the pricing of these pieces, I would love to hear it.

Thanks!

Later...Away...

However, if this is a fres BMS update, it is quite possible--as I understand it--that this bar reading as well as the info from LeafSPy might not be fully accurate and needs more miles to settle. Am I right here?

Yes. Ask them to run the VIN and tell you if and when the BMS update was performed. If never or not recently, then you have a good (but not fantastic) 30kwh pack that won't qualify for a replacement. If it was done in the last 6 months, then...stay tuned.

The Kentucky piece is located at an authorized Nissan dealer, so getting them to run the VIN shouldn't be an issue. The Iowa piece is located at a location that is not, so this would mean trying to get a different Nissan dealer to run the VIN. I might try to get the Kentucky folks to run both VINs.

Pondering the bars alone, it seems to me that the Kentucky piece almost certainly has had a BMS update since it is showing 11 bars at 35.5k miles. This would seem to indicate that the battery capacity is cruising along at around 91.6% which seems unlikely at that mileage to me. As a counter, the Iowa piece seems to be showing too low of a bar count (10) which would indicate roughly 17% loss in only 3.7k miles. I would think that this also would seem to indicate that the BMS update has not been done here and this is a pre-update measurement. Of course, as I understand it, the BMS update would be applied before any replacement anyway and that would likely bounce this one up 1-2 bars.

I originally started this search for 2016s that were showing 9 bars as they were creeping up on a potential replacement under warranty. This was, of course, presuming the BMS update had been applied which cannot be known without dealership contact. What I noticed in this process (regardless of BMS update) was that around 50,000 miles is where 9 bars seemed most common. Does anyone have a general mileage after BMS update to look for?

I continue to be more intrigued by the Kentucky piece mostly because of the $2k price difference and some potential room to negotiate. Any thoughts on this logic or thoughts on the Iowa vs. Kentucky piece from the standpoint of price?

Thanks again!

Don't use the odometer mileage as a guide to anything - it isn't. Time is the factor to look at with EVs, along with heat exposure. I'd say that six months after a BMS update is a reasonably safe period to be seeing actual capacity. Definitely after a year.

I cant believe we involved so many people to help someone shop the personal ads for a car??? I wish a group of people held my hand when I have been searching craigslist???

Pick a car... Any car....

I bet you... After all this she will post something like..... "I decided to go for a Chevrolet Bolt.... Thanks Anyway!!!"

powersurge said:
I cant believe we involved so many people to help someone shop the personal ads for a car??? I wish a group of people held my hand when I have been searching craigslist???

I bet you... After all this she will post something like..... "I decided to go for a Chevrolet Bolt.... Thanks Anyway!!!"

Jealous? :roll:

Evoforce said:
powersurge said:

Jealous? :roll:

Yes... Very Jealous..

But the emotion I feel even more.... Dysbelief.

Back