LEAF CANbus decoding. (Open discussion)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Capov said:
Hi everyone,

Is somebody working on a 2020 leaf? I just started to work on it yesterday using the dbc file done by Dala. I am plugged on the HV CAN somewhere in a connector (nothing execpt on request on the OBDII). I have already found and corrected some differences between the older version and the new version, but if somebody already works on it, it could be fine to share our constatations.

Thanks,

Capov

Hi Capov, please upload a log file and we can try to help :)

Dala said:
Hi Capov, please upload a log file and we can try to help :)

As I'm new to this forum, I'm not allowed to send private message. Do you have a chat channel like on Discord or Slack where I could share some files on dropbox?

mux said:
I'm not working on a gen5 (62kWh) Leaf as I have no access to any, but we are trying to fix a few lingering DTCs in a gen5 pack for which a few EV-CAN traces from a functional 2020 Leaf would be helpful. If you're willing to share, I'm all ears!
Same question to you mux!

Capov said:
As I'm new to this forum, I'm not allowed to send private message. Do you have a chat channel like on Discord or Slack where I could share some files on dropbox?

No dedicated channel except this, so a dropbox/github/bitbucket/onedrive link will have to do! If you don't want to post it here, shoot me a mail to info ATTT dalasevrepair.fi

Dala said:
No dedicated channel except this, so a dropbox/github/bitbucket/onedrive link will have to do! If you don't want to post it here, shoot me a mail to info ATTT dalasevrepair.fi

I Dala, I have just sent you the email but I get an undelivery error. I just added @ between ATTT and dalasevrepair.fi . Is that correct?

Capov said:
Dala said:

I Dala, I have just sent you the email but I get an undelivery error. I just added @ between ATTT and dalasevrepair.fi . Is that correct?

Thanks, Here's a pic of the address, just retry
JhxhAs2.png

But the CAN data is really OK to share on a public forum also, it's nothing secret on it.

Dala said:
Thanks, Here's a pic of the address, just retry
JhxhAs2.png

But the CAN data is really OK to share on a public forum also, it's nothing secret on it.

Haha, I hadn't see the "info" before ATTT, so now I get it... Sorry, when I think about it, my response was stupid :lol: :lol: .

I know that nothing is secret on log file, but it most because I share a dropbox link... It's easier to add files to share folder.

Saw this on the OVMS docs: https://docs.openvehicles.com/en/latest/components/vehicle_nissanleaf/docs/index.html

Assistance is appreciated as I haven’t had time to try to override the TCU using the OVMS or find an alternative solution to prevent the TCU overriding the messages while still allowing the hands free microphone to work.

Has this been addressed by anyone yet? Not sure I fully understand the issue.

coleafrado said:
Saw this on the OVMS docs: https://docs.openvehicles.com/en/latest/components/vehicle_nissanleaf/docs/index.html

Assistance is appreciated as I haven’t had time to try to override the TCU using the OVMS or find an alternative solution to prevent the TCU overriding the messages while still allowing the hands free microphone to work.

Has this been addressed by anyone yet? Not sure I fully understand the issue.

Not adressed yet. AFAIK unplugging the TCU fixes so that OVMS can function and send heating requests, but the downside is thet the hands free microphone stops working.

Dala said:
I've been working for over 10+ hours with the CAN database files. I recently stumbled upon new information, and can finally solve 60% of the EV-CAN with this information. I am uploading all my findings to GitHub, so anyone wanting to take it into use will have an excellent starting point.

Database files can be found here: https://github.com/dalathegreat/leaf_can_bus_messages

Hi, Dala.
Your work is excellent! Won't you mind if i will use your DBC file in free CAN bus cloud decoder? Website is can2sky.com
Everybody can upload raw CAN bus log (several formats are supported) and see all decoded parameters in readable form, built plots.
Also there are some tools to investigate unknown parameters.

Some screenshots:
fyZ5inl.png

cGjeImB.png

9a0CNQ7.png

LR3STKK.png

Best regards,
Andrew

can2sky said:
Hi, Dala.
Your work is excellent! Won't you mind if i will use your DBC file in free CAN bus cloud decoder? Website is can2sky.com
Everybody can upload raw CAN bus log (several formats are supported) and see all decoded parameters in readable form, built plots.

Best regards,
Andrew

Feel free :) Tool looks cool!

Dala said:
can2sky said:
Hi, Dala.

Best regards,
Andrew

Feel free :) Tool looks cool!

thanks!!

there are some results based on your DBC
not sure if they are correct.. I am not familiar with Leaf
hkHsPT8.png

JkiT1zJ.png

can2sky said:
thanks!!

there are some results based on your DBC
not sure if they are correct.. I am not familiar with Leaf

The values are correct, but when you see a sawtooth like that it is due to the data being multiplexed. That location contains several datapoints, and another part of the message defines that. The "LB_Historical_Data_Swich_Flag" is the multiplex in that message.

Dala said:
The values are correct, but when you see a sawtooth like that it is due to the data being multiplexed. That location contains several datapoints, and another part of the message defines that. The "LB_Historical_Data_Swich_Flag" is the multiplex in that message.

thanks! a lot of headache to implement this

Looks like has been some update on this thread , So will have to read them all again.
Been spending lots hours reading and looking at logs.
Learn a lot so thanks to all random bits of info it all helps.

At moment does any one any of the message that indicate the relay states.
Want to know from OBC (On board charger), BCM (Battery Control Module)
The states of what relays they have turned on.
Trying to see from logs how long pre-charge relays on when running and when charging.

Just as a random
I did work out some info on
Message ID:380 from OBC
If Byte[0] = 2
then byte[2] seem to indicate charger in port (Use binary mask 1000 to check plugged in)
then byte[4] seem to indicate charger working (Use binary mask 10000 to check plugged in)

Message ID:1DB from BMU
byte[2] if 0xFF seem seem to indicate charger that the Main fuze is out, based on wiring could also mean that HV interlock is not connected also

0x1DB byte 1 [2:0] are the error flags. Bit 0 indicates an EV system error (just the EV system warning light on the dash), bit 1 stops the car from charging and bit 2 is the turtle light and immobilizes the car.

TrueSoln said:
NiallDarwin said:
Tremelune said:
Jimma Hanna's video on getting the DC-DC converter working: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMhcHkOg-Mk
@Tremelune Broken Link! Any chance its still up but moved?

I think I found the video inside another very long one
This link jumps to his part: https://youtu.be/ipEzK1yzxHY?t=6424

Thank you. That's Gold

IskeSoderlund said:
Hi!
Been lurking here for a while, I'm trying to hack a leaf OBD charger. I've come quite a way closer to charging. I've written a program which makes the charger think it's in the leaf. And it seems to work the charger is no longer sending "fault" signals by CAN. And I'm trying to make it charge by sending the same messages that the VCM sends to the leaf when charging, according to CAN captures by carrot. I still haven't been able to make it charge. Is it possible that the charger like the inverter saves DTC and refuses to start charging? If so what's my best option to remove stored DTCs?

If anyone wants my codes for the program or help with making the charger "think" its in a leaf just contact me!

I would like to see your code. I would like to re-use the leaf charger and dc/dc converter outside the Leaf. I have 2 leaf motors. I have the inverter/section working well and would like to use the charger also.

Thanks.
Bill Bitner
[email protected]
bbitnerblogs.com/e-miata

Back