Hyundai Kona Electric

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GetOffYourGas said:
As Dave pointed out, they charged the car too full. The Kona is also at a disadvantage on the EA pricing scheme. It advertises something like 80kW max, pushing it above the 1-75kW tier and into the much more expensive 1-125kW tier, which is nearly 3x the cost! Even though the car rarely pulls more than 75kW. And then when they charge to 100%, they are pulling 10kW and paying for 125kW!

So yeah, a lot could have been done to improve the Kona EV experience.

That said, their goal was to just go without planning, just like they did in the gas Kona. Unfortunately, it's too early in the game for that. A little planning goes a long way!

Its all about not having 50 KW CCS options :lol: The E Plus "also" advertises an 80 KW rate but I get billed the 18 cents/minute under 75 KW rate. This means I am below "most" of California's home rates at a public charger! :cool:

GRA said:
Beats paying $0.59 or $0 69 minute, which is what it was before, and it's more in line with EVgo and other's rates. It's still more expensive than gas, though.
Only if you do lots of road trips. Total cost is that matters, and home charging is cheaper than gas... Even if crude oil was free. Costs money to transport, refine and retail the stuff.

99% of trips are under 70 miles. Some people drive across the USA multiple times. Some people hardly get out of a small state. Most people do most of their driving locally.

You seem to be different. You have very few car trips under 70 miles. Most of your car trips are road trips. So you are at the end of the distribution that will be the last to use EVs.

GRA said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
GRA said:

That is what they call a "fix?" OMG... that is so pathetic.

Beats paying $0.59 or $0 69 minute, which is what it was before, and it's more in line with EVgo and other's rates. It's still more expensive than gas, though.

In a sense, its no different than paying $3.75 for gas in California while the South pays $2.25

As for me? Despite high gas prices just below California levels, I am paying "deep South" EA rates :cool:

DaveinOlyWA said:
GRA said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
That is what they call a "fix?" OMG... that is so pathetic.

In a sense, its no different than paying $3.75 for gas in California while the South pays $2.25

As for me? Despite high gas prices just below California levels, I am paying "deep South" EA rates :cool:

$1.79/g and dropping in my neighborhood :(
I'm not all that happy as cheap gas is one reason more aren't switching to EVs, that and surcharges on tabs to own an EV make it not really financially smart. I drive an EV as I like not having to go to gas stations where prices go up and down like a pinball not to mention I feel it's more environmentally friendly, one less smog belching vehicle on our roads.

jjeff said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
GRA said:

$1.79/g and dropping in my neighborhood :(
I'm not all that happy as cheap gas is one reason more aren't switching to EVs, that and surcharges on tabs to own an EV make it not really financially smart. I drive an EV as I like not having to go to gas stations where prices go up and down like a pinball not to mention I feel it's more environmentally friendly, one less smog belching vehicle on our roads.

WOW!! :shock:

AAA national average is $2.196 per gallon. And falling fast. You can just hear the oil well drillers stop. Expect a rapid rise in a year or three, at most.

WetEV said:
AAA national average is $2.196 per gallon. And falling fast. You can just hear the oil well drillers stop. Expect a rapid rise in a year or three, at most.

Oil Futures hit $20 a barrel. Lowest level since the mid 90's

We’re sure not driving much. I’ve put both our conventional cars in storage mode, on battery tenders. (Our son drives the GTI.)

We only drive the Leaf now.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
Only if you do lots of road trips. Total cost is that matters, and home charging is cheaper than gas... Even if crude oil was free. Costs money to transport, refine and retail the stuff.

99% of trips are under 70 miles. Some people drive across the USA multiple times. Some people hardly get out of a small state. Most people do most of their driving locally.

You seem to be different. You have very few car trips under 70 miles. Most of your car trips are road trips. So you are at the end of the distribution that will be the last to use EVs.

EA isn't building urban QC sites (2/1/1) to serve people taking road trips, they're for people who can't charge at home and work.

I’m actually looking to upgrade to a Kona EV from my 2015 Leaf (I once read that the Leaf is a gateway drug to EVs and it’s true!)

My question is that I only see dealers in my area with 2019 models and most of them are at list or maybe $1000 off. The 2020 have a battery heater which would be useful for me and would like to use that as a negotiating tactic to get a deal on a 2019 since it is technically a year old car. Is there any reason that dealers are standing firm on pricing?

Thanks for and and all replies!

What area of the country are you in?

Niro EV's are still pretty hot commodities, not sure you will be able to find large discounts from MSRP.

Anyone heard any news on the Niro EV coming to the midwest?

And an odd question? What PSI do your stock tires suggest being inflated to on the Car? Telsa posts 42 PSI, Leaf 36 (though the same Michelin tires support 44 PSI).

DougWantsALeaf said:

And an odd question? What PSI do your stock tires suggest being inflated to on the Car? Telsa posts 42 PSI, Leaf 36 (though the same Michelin tires support 44 PSI).
No, CAFE states only last I heard. Nissan suggests way too soft of a tire IMO, probably for a better ride but at the cost of reduced range/higher rolling resistance. I run my tires at 44PSI cold, they also wear better at more towards maximum pressure.

DougWantsALeaf said:
What area of the country are you in?

Niro EV's are still pretty hot commodities, not sure you will be able to find large discounts from MSRP.

We have someone on FB who is getting wear on outside edges of her LEAF after barely a year. Her pressure is too low. The lower the pressure, the greater the sidewall flex on turns. The sidewall is basically rolling over a bit and this increases friction, wear and lowers range. The max is 44 PSI on the sidewall. I would not go more then 2 PSI below the max and realize this is cold pressure reading so seeing 48 or more during the day is normal, expected and safe.

I would agree with that. Once you get used to the feel of the car at 44psi (and the modest range boost), you don't really want to go back. I have found traction to be just fine at the higher PSI.

It kills me that Nissan just doesn't have the car retested at 42 or 44PSI, and take the EPA range boost. Even if its just a psychological boost. Those little increases YoY help the visibility and mojo of how the car is perceived in the EV community.

GCR:
Fire concern prompts stop-sale, US recall for 2019-2020 Hyundai Kona Electric

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...us-recall-for-2019-2020-hyundai-kona-electric

. . . Including vehicles already delivered, the recall affects the entire population of U.S. Kona Electric models—6,707 vehicles—made between August 28, 2018 and March 2, 2020. Separately, in Canada, there are 4,375 Kona Electrics also to be covered by the recall.

Hyundai is continuing to actively investigate this condition for identification of an exact root cause,” stated the automaker. It noted that the high-voltage system in affected vehicles “might contain certain electrical deficiencies.”

Those deficiencies, Hyundai explains, could be related to damage to battery cells and/or faulty battery management system (BMS) control software. Altogether, the flaws could increase the risk of a short-circuit after fully charging the battery, Hyundai says.

Under the recall, owners will need to bring their Kona Electric to the dealership for an inspection of the lithium-ion battery pack—with free replacement if necessary—plus an update of the BMS.

Although there have been no reported fires in the U.S., a number of fires in other markets have prompted an investigation that started in 2019. Then, after three separate Kona Electric models that were parked—each with a full state of charge—caught fire in Korea. An incident in Europe, where Hyundai has been making the Kona Electric more widely available, and two in Canada met the same description in 2019, while through October 2020 the automaker notes another seven reports globally.

A report from the Korea Times earlier this month noted that a South Korean investigation made seemingly conflicting statements about the location of the alleged flaw—both referring to it as a manufacturing flaw in the cells, but also suggesting “electric problems in the battery pack assembly. . . ."

The battery pack in the Kona Electric is assembled by HL Green Power, which is a joint venture of LG Chem, which supplies the cells, and Hyundai Mobis. Hyundai and Kia have the same parent company, however the Kia Niro EV has completely different batteries on board—sourced by a different South Korea–based supplier, SK Innovation. . . .

Kona Electric owners in the U.S. will be formally notified of the recall in December. In the meantime, Kona Electric drivers can input their vehicle identification number (VIN) at HyundaiUSA.com/Recalls or Recalls.HyundaiCanada.com to see if it’s affected.

They’re also advised “to park their vehicles outdoors and/or away from structures until their vehicle is remedied.” Hyundai says rental vehicles will be provided if needed.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I would agree with that. Once you get used to the feel of the car at 44psi (and the modest range boost), you don't really want to go back. I have found traction to be just fine at the higher PSI.

It kills me that Nissan just doesn't have the car retested at 42 or 44PSI, and take the EPA range boost. Even if its just a psychological boost. Those little increases YoY help the visibility and mojo of how the car is perceived in the EV community.

That won't happen.

Nissan (or any other manufacturer) Hey what kind of deal can I get for tires?

Tire Guy; We can do $XX

Nissan; That is more than I had budgeted for. Can you do better?

Tire Guy; Well, we have something similar that is a bit cheaper. Won't last as long but still a good tire.

Nissan; I can make that work. How much?

Tire Guy; Lower the PSI recommendation a bit so they don't last as long. It will only be a 10% reduction in tire life. Nothing dramatic. We'll split the difference and give you 5% off.

Nissan; DEAL!

Back