FPL Solar Together: Solar as a service

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTLFTcomposite

Interesting program from FPL, subscription based participation in solar energy production.

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/news/local/fpl-solar-power-without-solar-panels-soon-to-be-available/77-dc864191-e6d1-4dd4-be97-b4588f4a2c48

I signed up for 6kw, expected cost $1.48/month, which is the difference between the subscription cost and the value of the power produced. After 3-5 years it is expected the lines will cross and it will actually be a credit on my bill.

This utility grade solar makes a lot of sense. Panels are bigger and they handle all the installation and maintenance headaches. No worrying about neighbors tree shading my panels, salt air corroding connections, upfront costs, loan encumbering the title, future buyer not seeing the value in it, etc, etc, etc.

I signed up also. My townhouse is unsuitable for solar panels - (too much shade, not situated for maximum solar exposure.) There are 2 components to the program: a monthly charge (which is fixed) and a monthly credit (which rises with time.) Break even is supposed to be 7 years. We signed up for 4kw, which equates to 100% of our usage. Monthly net charge is $.099 at the beginning. Since I can't put solar on my house, this approach seemed like a reasonable alternative. We'll see.

For me the cost will be $1.48/month. Peanuts... well worth it to save the planet even if there never is a payback.

Not putting holes in the roof or having unsightly panels on the roof waiting to be blown off in a hurricane is a huge plus.

The only thing participants miss out on is giving the electric company the middle finger. Maybe people in CA feel that way but I never felt that way about FPL; they provide fantastic service and excellent value.

Back