Did I get a good deal? 2017 Leaf for $9,200

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freshedie92

I just purchased a 2017 leaf with 25k mi s. Some minor damage on one fender. Drives great.

Battery had 9 bars if I recall correctly though. No idea if it has BMs recall. Should I get that done? Do i need to if of I want a replacement battery.

Any reason why this isn't a good buy?

Leafspy:
Ahr 62
Soh .78
Hx .52
2 qc charge
1600 level 1 2
Soc .82

Thanks for the help guys! I'm hoping this thing can get a new battery soon.

Edit: forgot to mention it has 6.6kw charger. Not sure what charger comes in the bag though. I havent taken ownership of the car yet :( waiting on title.

How can anyone tell you if it was a "good deal" without the price paid.

If it hasn't had the BMS recall, it might really be an 11-12 bar car, making a warranty replacement on the battery very unlikely.

And, no, you do not need the BMS recall performed if you want to pay for the battery replacement out of pocket.

You have 75K miles and about 6 years before the 100K miles/8 year battery degradation warranty expires so you have plenty of time to use the vehicle.

Sorry I completely forgot the price. I added it to the title. Thanks for mentioning it. Okay so i should call nissan with vin to check if recall has been performed. Sounds like its mandatory. Plus I would love to get. 11-12 bar leaf that would make me so happy!

Anybody know where I can get a cheap white fender to get rid of the ugly dent in socal :).

The BMS update may give you an 11 or 12 bar car - for a while. Some or all of the regained capacity bars will then vanish again, if they weren't real. As long as the range you have now works ok, it appears to be a good deal. If it really does have 85% capacity or more, it was a very good deal.

Just be careful, especially if you are married.

The leaf is the ultimate chick magnet.
Even better than being out walking a dog.

Also your wife will steal it.

Freshedie92 said:
Anybody know where I can get a cheap white fender to get rid of the ugly dent in socal :).

I would think around SoCal there would be at least a few junkyards with a white leaf of the older generation. Just have to call around and find one not smashed on the side you care about.

I'm going to keep an eye out for that fender. I'm sure I'll find one eventually.

So 85% is good for these miles? I thought that was pretty rough :(. What kind of range might I be looking at for mixed driving? Also is it true I gotta drive 70 max :(. I'm used to driving 80 with my prius :(.

Oh I got a cute fluffy dog too. My wife is going to hate me.

I'm glad my soh isn't too abnormal I was getting worried this car was being abused. It was from a lease that was ending. Btw the buyout for this thing was 9k if anyone is wanting a ballpark for what they're buying them for.

I dont know if my other response is being checked by a moderator kind of a copy post cus now im not sure that I responded.

I have a big fluffy malamute, add the leaf to the mix, I might be getting a divorce soon. Thanks for the heads up dan!

I really hope the update recovers some 8 -10% I would rather have a good battery now than try to kill it for a replacement. Btw does it SOH and HX seem abnormally low, like it was not cared for appropriately? I know that nissan has metrics to determine if the battery was improperly cared for, I would be frustrated to no end if I was denied a replacement.

Im so excited to be driving this thing around its replacing my wifes gas guzzling v6 escape. It will be our primary commuter and my 2010 prius will be for road trips. I have been doing some math and the leaf should really be paying for itself over a few years. Especially when taking into account maintenance. But I guess i never considered all the side chicks that will be flocking my way :(. Is it just a wash?

danrjones said:
Freshedie92 said:

I would think around SoCal there would be at least a few junkyards with a white leaf of the older generation. Just have to call around and find one not smashed on the side you care about.

BEFORE you go out and start with body work, you should look into "paintless dent repair" they do magic with cars. If you have time, please post a picture of the dented fender?

You very well be able to use the old fender and it will look like new....

it looks like they tried to fix it themselves and it looks horrible. I admire the dent repairers, but there is no way that dent with holes is getting fixed.

But im function over form so i might just live with it. I forgot to mention it has 6.6kw charger. What charging cable come with the car 120v? As you may be able to tell i havent finalized the deal yet, we are waiting on title for full exchange.

Freshedie92 said:
What charging cable come with the car 120v?

The stock Nissan EVSE cable that comes with a 2017 is 120V only. I think it will limit the current to 12A so it can safely be used with a standard 120V/15A household circuit.

Freshedie92 said:
I dont know if my other response is being checked by a moderator kind of a copy post cus now im not sure that I responded.

I have a big fluffy malamute, add the leaf to the mix, I might be getting a divorce soon. Thanks for the heads up dan!

I really hope the update recovers some 8 -10% I would rather have a good battery now than try to kill it for a replacement. Btw does it SOH and HX seem abnormally low, like it was not cared for appropriately? I know that nissan has metrics to determine if the battery was improperly cared for, I would be frustrated to no end if I was denied a replacement.

Im so excited to be driving this thing around its replacing my wifes gas guzzling v6 escape. It will be our primary commuter and my 2010 prius will be for road trips. I have been doing some math and the leaf should really be paying for itself over a few years. Especially when taking into account maintenance. But I guess i never considered all the side chicks that will be flocking my way :(. Is it just a wash?

I think you will be pleased with your 2017 Leaf. We got our first Leaf (2016 SL) last Oct showing 9/12 health bars and on Thankgiving it dropped the 4th bar. I called the Nissan National Leaf customer rep at 877-664-2738 and opened a case by giving the rep my vin number so I could get the BMS updated. I learned that was done back in 2018 when it was brought in with low range complaint. She said I needed to get it to a Nissan Leaf dealership to verify the 4 bar loss because it looks like I may need a new battery. The service department has certified my four missing health bars are for real so now I have to wait to hear back. Sorry to tell you they are fresh out of 30 kWh batteries and will not be getting more and are now replacing the 30 with the new 40 kWh batteries like going in the 2020 Leaf so the range should be more like 150 miles. You are on the right track and time is on your side warranty wise so get the update and see what happens. Not sure what went wrong with my off lease car but it had average 1% SOH loss per month for its life. SOH was down to 63% with a range of about 60 miles when the 4th bar dropped. It had been in service for 38 months and 24K miles. Tomorrow you can call the number above and learn where the BMS update has been ran or not. It is a must before you can file a battery claim some day. At some point expect to need to send proof of ownership that is a doc like the purchase invoice, etc that has your name and VIN on the doc.

$9k is a little pricy for a 9-bar, but you do have a bit more time in the battery warranty. You're also paying the California EV premium. They should pay for the bumper repair, IMO, or give you a discount.

I paid $5k for a 2012 9-bar last summer, now on the threshold of dropping to 8, but the warranty ran out in November (so no free battery for me). $4k seems like it prices in the odds of a battery replacement appropriately.

GaleHawkins said:
Freshedie92 said:

I think you will be pleased with your 2017 Leaf. We got our first Leaf (2016 SL) last Oct showing 9/12 health bars and on Thankgiving it dropped the 4th bar. I called the Nissan National Leaf customer rep at 877-664-2738 and opened a case by giving the rep my vin number so I could get the BMS updated. I learned that was done back in 2018 when it was brought in with low range complaint. She said I needed to get it to a Nissan Leaf dealership to verify the 4 bar loss because it looks like I may need a new battery. The service department has certified my four missing health bars are for real so now I have to wait to hear back. Sorry to tell you they are fresh out of 30 kWh batteries and will not be getting more and are now replacing the 30 with the new 40 kWh batteries like going in the 2020 Leaf so the range should be more like 150 miles. You are on the right track and time is on your side warranty wise so get the update and see what happens. Not sure what went wrong with my off lease car but it had average 1% SOH loss per month for its life. SOH was down to 63% with a range of about 60 miles when the 4th bar dropped. It had been in service for 38 months and 24K miles. Tomorrow you can call the number above and learn where the BMS update has been ran or not. It is a must before you can file a battery claim some day. At some point expect to need to send proof of ownership that is a doc like the purchase invoice, etc that has your name and VIN on the doc.

Wow does it make me happy to hear that they are updated to the 40 KW battery. This makes me feel like this was the deal of the century!

I ended up not making the purchase because of a couple of different reasons but mainly financial. However I did convince my father that the car was worth it and he upgraded to this beauty from a 2006 accord v6. Thank you guys so much for all the support and I will let him know about the 40 KW battery I am sure that he will be pleased.

Freshedie92 said:
I just purchased a 2017 leaf with 25k mi s. Some minor damage on one fender. Drives great.

Battery had 9 bars if I recall correctly though. No idea if it has BMs recall. Should I get that done? Do i need to if of I want a replacement battery.

Any reason why this isn't a good buy?

Leafspy:
Ahr 62
Soh .78
Hx .52
2 qc charge
1600 level 1 2
Soc .82

Thanks for the help guys! I'm hoping this thing can get a new battery soon.

Edit: forgot to mention it has 6.6kw charger. Not sure what charger comes in the bag though. I havent taken ownership of the car yet :( waiting on title.

Important thing is having DC charging. You don't mention trim level which is ESSENTIAL

and yes, get the BMS update done ASAP. You will be hampered by its degraded range but are practically guaranteed of a pack replacement which costs more than what you paid for the car.

Back