Is there any data for DOD cycles on a battery at different % of Degradation?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get real fellows, he lives in a country on a small island; there are no long distance drives likely; there are no nissan dealers or service centers; he is severely restricted in his selection and choices due to limited number of vehicles available; imported cars are expensive due to high shipping cost; he must make the best of whatever choice, and in the situation that he may be found.

OP: If you can get the Leaf spy app, even the lite version, with a blueteeth OBDII scantool dongle and an android phone, then you could read the actual cell voltages at full and after driving it down toward empty, this could help you avoid a big expense of buying a car with defective cell in the pack which would drastically limit your range. Until you know the cell health then you can't know anything about the pack capacity or remaining life.

nlspace said:
Get real fellows, he lives in a country on a small island; there are no long distance drives likely; there are no nissan dealers or service centers; he is severely restricted in his selection and choices due to limited number of vehicles available; imported cars are expensive due to high shipping cost; he must make the best of whatever choice, and in the situation that he may be found.

OP: If you can get the Leaf spy app, even the lite version, with a blueteeth OBDII scantool dongle and an android phone, then you could read the actual cell voltages at full and after driving it down toward empty, this could help you avoid a big expense of buying a car with defective cell in the pack which would drastically limit your range. Until you know the cell health then you can't know anything about the pack capacity or remaining life.

Thanks for the tip, already ordered the OBD2 yesterday from amazon, just waiting for it to get here. Anyways Im looking to get one borrowed for a day to go check it out, in case the dealer starts to put some pressure on the deal.

We are being "real." I just suggested that trying to get either a Lizard pack or a Leaf that has one wouldn't be worth the expense. I also informed him that his pack will likely not die completely in the foreseeable future. We are going to answer questions as they are asked, even if they suggest an unwise course of action.

nlspace: It doesn't sound like the car's are expensive in DR due to shipping cost but rather some sort of import duty/tariff.
goldbrick said:
Be aware that the 1st bar is 15% loss and each subsequent bar is 7.5% loss.
From the table at https://web.archive.org/web/20140505024023/http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Battery#Battery_Capacity_Behavior, after the 1st bar, each bar is 6.25% not 7.5%.

Unfortunately, Nissan removed that table in service manuals of later years (after model year '11) w/no explanation so there's no guarantee that those values are correct or Nissan will keep using them.

Also, folks were alluding to the improved batteries from approx 4/2013 build month thru model year '14. Leftie at https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26662 and other posts of his likes to call that revision "wolf" pack. My 5/2013 has a "wolf" pack.

cwerdna said:
nlspace: It doesn't sound like the car's are expensive in DR due to shipping cost but rather some sort of import duty/tariff.

Thats right, it's a 27.5% of taxes for EVs and 55% for any ICE vehicle, a total rip-off.

cwerdna said:
Also, folks were alluding to the improved batteries from approx 4/2013 build month thru model year '14. Leftie at https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26662 and other posts of it likes to call that revision "wolf" pack. My 5/2013 has a "wolf" pack.

Thanks again for the tip, it's really useful info you guys have given me. I can practically charge to teach people over here about leafs :lol:

WetEV said:
powersurge said:
When you distill this whole conversation,

There is no reason for the original poster to buy that car.... Not wise.... to say the least...
Other than the huge tax advantage.

Exactly, my situation is quite particular for the country, and i completely understand that the deal may sound crazy but trust me the numbers check, even if i have to buy a new battery in 10 months. I will show here the leafspy data when i get the dongle shipped.

Back