The 62kWh Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I traded in my 2015 S for a 2019 SV+. I used the paid Android version of Leaf Spy (not Pro and not Lite) on the 2015 car and it showed consistent degradation. I was down to 81 SOH@30,000 miles. When I plugged the ODBii plug into the new car, Leaf Spy was showing S0H=0%, AHR=763.57, SOC=184%. Yikes. I installed the same app on a different phone with the same results. I uninstalled the app and installed the Lite version. It appears to be working OK except the ODO reading is 20 miles light. Here are the results:

ODO = 32 miles (actual reading in the car is 52)
AHR = 174.58
SOH = 98.97 (Seems low for a new car)
QC = 3
L1/L2 = 1
Temp was 66.4

It looks like the dealer just plugged in the quick charger when a customer came in for a test drive. I don't know how long the car was on the lot in northern Florida weather. I don't plan on doing any QCs any time soon. SOC=81.8% and the GOM shows 210 miles of range, for what that's worth.

There are lots of nice features on the SV+. Built in NAV, Bluetooth Audio, Automatic Cruise Control, and E Pedal (which I haven't gotten used to yet.) Android Auto doesn't do Google Play music very well. (I have tons of old LPs and CDs that I downloaded on my phone but with Android Auto, you can't specify downloaded only.) Bluetooth audio worked fine on the drive home from the dealer.

There is still a lot to learn on this car and I like it alot. I'm going to monitor things with Leaf Spy Lite for the next few weeks.

Congrats. Hope the Plus works well for you. The odometer could be a miles/kilometers mismatch between LeafSpy and the carr. If the ratio stays around 0.6 then that is almost surely the reason.

SOH < 100% isn't unusual for a car off the lot. And don't be surprised if it drops fairly quickly to the low-mid 90's and then stabilizes as that seems to be a common pattern with the Plus cars even as the Hx will probably rise about 100% for a while. So take it all with a grain of salt and enjoy the ride.

Enjoy the car

My car also arrived at around 98.7 SOH.

It moved down about .01 a day from June to October-November then slowed dramatically.

December 7th I was at 97.25 and January 21st it was still at 97.20. Now the weather did go go colder in early Jan. December here was very mild and in the 50s many days. The car is garaged. We will have to see as the weather warms.

As I caught the tail end of NCTC, I fast charge every 2nd or third charge as it’s free and level 2 at home the remainder. We have about 6500 miles on the car. While I charge to 100% frequently after getting the car, I try to cap it at about 90% now give or take a few %.

How are others doing on their Plus? Guessing 2021 batteries will fare even better.

Mine moved VERY slowly down until it hit 3,000 miles and then it dropped 1½% or so. I venture to guess its the same 90 day adjustment the 40 kwh packs had. I will know at the end of April.

I will post more detailed results after my 6-month discharge test, but here are the LEAF Spy numbers as of tonight: AHr=173.12 SOH=98.14% Hx=113.81% ODO=10,583 QC=3 L1/L2=82. I saw a slight increase in AHr and SOH at about 2-1/2 months and another small increase at about 5-1/2 months with gradual decreases from new and after each jump. I suspect the increases were at about 90 days and 180 days after the car was activated in the factory.

GerryAZ said:
I will post more detailed results after my 6-month discharge test, but here are the LEAF Spy numbers as of tonight: AHr=173.12 SOH=98.14% Hx=113.81% ODO=10,583 QC=3 L1/L2=82. I saw a slight increase in AHr and SOH at about 2-1/2 months and another small increase at about 5-1/2 months with gradual decreases from new and after each jump. I suspect the increases were at about 90 days and 180 days after the car was activated in the factory.

Increases? Interesting. It seems like everyone's numbers are converging to the same general level. I just had my first drop from the mid 99's to the low 98's where most of us seem to be right now.

I’ve had my SL Plus for 10 months now, and am at 12,600 miles with 95.8% SOH according to LeafSpy. Just like my previous 40kWh Leaf, the degradation slowed to about 1/3 the initial rate at about 6500 miles. Or you could round that to 10,000km since the Nissan engineers program everything in metric. I get the large adjustments every 90 days, which so far have all been drops. I’m expecting the next one in a week or two.

Gerry, I am jealous that you are still at 98% in AZ after 10K miles!

Hoping my 97 holds into summer. I did abuse the batter in the first 2 months with some super hot high SOH driving, so now that I have curbed my abuses, hoping the leveling holds into summer.

Wow... just grabbed and update from LeafSpy and had a huge drop this quarter. :shock:

isvSrX4.png

Umdkevin.

What climate and charging style (Chademo vs. lvl 2. To 80 or 100%). Do you follow?

Dave, Gerry,
From the data posted I wonder if the car switches between estimates and actuals. Else why would SOH go up for some? I guess maybe if coming out of winter. Maybe that AZ heat is now the best weather for the batteries. Certainly 40C no longer seems like a bad temp for charging or power.

I am very curious to see what my next reckoning value is going to show.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Umdkevin.

What climate and charging style (Chademo vs. lvl 2. To 80 or 100%). Do you follow?

Dave, Gerry,
From the data posted I wonder if the car switches between estimates and actuals. Else why would SOH go up for some? I guess maybe if coming out of winter. Maybe that AZ heat is now the best weather for the batteries. Certainly 40C no longer seems like a bad temp for charging or power.

I am very curious to see what my next reckoning value is going to show.

Who knows? I have to think the numbers are only valid for the "adjustments" but that does not explain when the numbers go up so the adjustment has some "prediction" to them?

Maybe its Nissan's way of warning us to change our bad habits? :roll: :lol:

Dave

Well, did my monthly check of LSP and low and behold I fell back to earth and must have had my quarterly SOH adjustment. My previous 3 readings were inside 90 days of each other.

1/21 I was at 97.2%
Now
2/15 is now 95.78% Ouch!

Ahr 169.96
Hx 112.0

Car battery was at 40F and 67% SOC. Car was built in May 2019.

Anyone out there been able to keep above 97% for more than 300 days yet?

DougWantsALeaf said:
Dave

Well, did my monthly check of LSP and low and behold I fell back to earth and must have had my quarterly SOH adjustment. My previous 3 readings were inside 90 days of each other.

1/21 I was at 97.2%
Now
2/15 is now 95.78% Ouch!

Ahr 169.96
Hx 112.0

Car battery was at 40F and 67% SOC. Car was built in May 2019.

Anyone out there been able to keep above 97% for more than 300 days yet?

Well, expected to see a chunk lost initially. The real question becomes how much? The 40's lost 7 to 8%. I am thinking we will lose 5-6%

GerryAZ said:

Thanks for posting this information. I"m interested in anything you or others can share as to how well the latest plus batteries are holding up in the hotter climates as well as how they hold up for those who fast-charge more often.

Note that it's hard to be sure (I don't speak Spanish) but based on a few stations coming up on the plugshare map, and a couple of website visits, it appears that Nissan may be expanding the availability of the Leaf at some of the dealers just south of Arizona. If so, then the question of how the pack holds up in the heat will also be relevant for those drivers.

My 2 cents,

2019 SV Plus, build date of 5/19, live in lower NY State.

SOH from Feb 1, 2020: 95.03%, miles: 6230
SOH from Dec 11, 2019: 95.10%, miles 4150

Back