Upgrade my S climate and stereo to SV/SL one?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biff09

Hi there,
I've done a lot of searching and honestly can't believe no one has tried this before. Has anyone ever swapped out their S climate + stereo system for an SV/SL one?

Obviously the console bezel, two columns of buttons, the stereo unit, and the climate unit and the a/c auto amp are needed, but what else?

I just have no idea what all parts are required for this. I'm starting to dig through the service manual, but thought I'd see if anyone else has attempted this yet.

It hasn't been done because it makes so much more sense to just sell the S and buy an SL or SL. You're talking about as much work as fitting an EFI V-8 to a carbureted four cylinder car that never had a V-8 option. I'm sure it can be done, but I don't recall anyone ever posting about doing - or even just attempting - it, other than speculations like yours.

We added really nice heated seats to our S, which is the thing we missed the most from the previous Leaf. The heat pump would have been nice, cold climate and all, but not worth the extra Initiall $$, and the extra stereo and drive assist stuff we can completely do without.

Interesting - I was not aware of how big of a job it is. Does anyone actually know what components are involved?

I guess, call me skeptical that it's as big of a job as has been asserted here...

The problem is no one here knows what components are required. There are multiple computers in any modern car and they communicate with each other over various networks. Different components may have different plugs, programming and capabilities and without the knowledge of what does what trying to retrofit something like this may or may not work. There may be extra sensors, wiring harnesses, etc required to fully populate the SV/SL level functions. Or not. Who knows? I'd say one of the reasons mfg's bundle packages like this into separate trim levels is that it makes it easy for them to build the cars. I doubt it's as simple as just pulling out the S-level head unit and replacing it with an SV/SL head unit.

I'd love it if someone would try this to see what happens but it's not something I would attempt without a proof of concept first. At the least, I'd want both entire cars from a equivalent generation to swap any small stuff that is required. That could work if there was no re-programming required, which is a big IF, IMHO.

Stereo head unit would be the easy part. Here is a brief, but not complete, list of components that would need to be changed: A/C compressor, all refrigerant piping, condenser coil (in front of radiator), entire HVAC duct assemb!y in/under dash (has two refrigerant coi!s a!ong with resistance heater instead of one), associated control modules, and wiring harnesses.

Yes, people should understand that you don't just swap things you want between cars...

Even though we are living in an instant gratification, disposable society, we can't "mod" everything...

I swapped a BCM from an S into an SL and the only things lost were Cruise, B mode (trans now cycled to ECO) and charge/climate timers. The rest of the head unit worked, giving data on the EV metrics etc.

Shows that the BCM and was happy enough to run the head unit and the rest of the car hardware (AC/heating etc) etc.. can’t say what you’d need to replicate the functionality on the S, but I don’t think it’s as dire as what’s being made out.

I have done it before.
My car in Japan didn't have air conditioning.
But the first time I changed the oil I noticed it had an A/C compressor and condenser.
Strange right?
I think what happened was the heat and A/C control stopped working and the last guy just swapped in a non-A/C control module just to have heat in the winter.
So I stated looking for a with-A/C module, or I was going to manually switch the compressor clutch. I found it popped it in there and it worked, the A/C was still charged.

If you want to do it first search for pics. If not buy your self a cheap head unit off eBay or from a junk yard, take it apart, see if it will work. It would be a cool mod if it worked.
If you have to scrap it, resell everything on ebay get your $ back.

But these were simpler cars.

I have modded my leaf and will mod it a lot more in the future.
Modded the evse according to ingineer to run 240v.
Put a trailer hitch on there, spare tire, better LLR tires, brake drag reduction springs.
I'm installing the diesel fired hydronic heater.

Back