ABG: ChargePoint teams with U.S. truck stops to expand electric vehicle adoption

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

ChargePoint teams with U.S. truck stops to expand electric vehicle adoption
The National Highway Charging Collaborative plans for more than 4,000 fast chargers by 2030
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/06/chargepoint-truck-stop-fast-electric-car-chargers/

. . . ChargePoint, which operates but does not own its charging network, and the National Association of Truck Stop Operators (NATSO) told Reuters they formed the National Highway Charging Collaborative, with plans to install Level 2 and DC fast chargers at more than 4,000 U.S. locations by 2030 to expand EV charging along highways and in rural communities.

The money will be raised through private operators, state and local governments, private infrastructure funds and others, ChargePoint Chief Executive Pasquale Romano said. . . .

I think it could mean a nice new revenue stream for the truck plazas.

We are in the golden age of EVs where every 200 miles or so, you can come in and eat a good meal while charging. Many car models can give you 200 miles of range with buffer now.

In 10 years I agree they will have missed that boat. 50KW chargers have come down in price significantly. Under 50K to buy and install. For a big plaza the return via power sales and retail would be reasonable I believe.

GRA;
It's obvious you are a knowledgeable, concerned individual that believes "transportation" vehicles of all types need to get off the hydrocarbon teat. Disappointing to me that this article has really no impact on progressing commercial truck delivery issues in any way. Any type of conventional thinking about "fast charging" and in particular the highest charge levels of J-1772 based systems will be completely inadequate for commercial truck charge systems. It sure seems that when massive storage systems (to levelize grid support requirements), much higher VDC battery/charging systems, and local microgrids (where applicable) are being recognized as basic requirements, then actual progress can be seen. The required grid support requirements to reduce the local storage requirements can then be designed/and installed on a realistic schedule (years??).

As you are constantly looking for such "innovation" type articles, please continue to keep us informed - and thanks for your diligence.

Did the piece say J-1772 ONLY? I missed that. Also, I think it would be better to have an "EV News" topic, instead of dozens of topics that are created and then die shortly thereafter...

Marktm said:
GRA;
It's obvious you are a knowledgeable, concerned individual that believes "transportation" vehicles of all types need to get off the hydrocarbon teat. Disappointing to me that this article has really no impact on progressing commercial truck delivery issues in any way. Any type of conventional thinking about "fast charging" and in particular the highest charge levels of J-1772 based systems will be completely inadequate for commercial truck charge systems. It sure seems that when massive storage systems (to levelize grid support requirements), much higher VDC battery/charging systems, and local microgrids (where applicable) are being recognized as basic requirements, then actual progress can be seen. The required grid support requirements to reduce the local storage requirements can then be designed/and installed on a realistic schedule (years??).

As you are constantly looking for such "innovation" type articles, please continue to keep us informed - and thanks for your diligence.

IIUY correctly, you're saying that BEVs are currently a poor fit for long-haul trucking, given not just the infrastructure requirements but also battery tech. I agree, barring a major tech improvement to batteries. To me, at the moment BEV trucks make the most sense for P&D and some regional distribution, with FCEVs/PHFCEVs taking over the long-haul routes.

For LeftieBiker, it's the potential availability of more charging for cars that led me to post this in this sub-forum, otherwise I would have put it in the "AFV Truck/Commercial Vehicle" topic. Depending on the definition of QCs as to whether they mean 'sites' or 'charging' stations, 4,000 QC sites in ten years equals or exceeds the rate at which EA has been deploying QCs. If charging stations is correct, it's still a significant addition to the total given the current low numbers.

Since we already have a 'charging networks' sub-forum, it seems redundant to make a 'charging networks' topic as well.

Worldwide Electric Vehicle News? I've already suggested what be covered: news about EV manufacturing and infrastructure that isn't about specific EVs and/or existing topics here. As it is we are getting dozens of new topics some weeks, with many of them not generating discussion and thus getting buried.

Some one on here once told me that putting DCFC at existing gas stations and truck stops was a dumb idea and that charging only stations like the one in taco Maryland that is failing catastrophically are a good idea...

The article did say "fast chargers" but to me 8kw is fast lol.

GRA said:
IIUY correctly, you're saying that BEVs are currently a poor fit for long-haul trucking, given not just the infrastructure requirements but also battery tech. I agree, barring a major tech improvement to batteries. To me, at the moment BEV trucks make the most sense for P&D and some regional distribution, with FCEVs/PHFCEVs taking over the long-haul routes.

GRA;
To clarify, if truck stops are to service delivery vehicles, the current paradigms of charging will need to change based on the limited grid infrastructure that "currently" exists. An interesting concept is "slow charge" intermediate storage devices based on infrastructure limitations, then fast charge the BEV - equipment such as:
https://freewiretech.com/products/dc-boost-charger/
For truck stops, the commercial BESSs would likely be required.
Super fast charging at higher DC voltages will also likely be needed with a new grade of commercial connectors - don't believe CHAdeMO nor CCS will be adequate. Again lots of development - maybe TESLA has taken a lead for their tractor/trailer offering?

I do agree - it will take extraordinary improvements in battery energy storage to meet the long hauls requirements, but we can already see that Amazon and UPS are buying into the local delivery BEVs:
https://electrek.co/2020/02/06/rivian-amazon-electric-delivery-van-closer-look/
https://www.dezeen.com/2020/02/03/ups-vans-arrival-electric-vehicles/

Very interesting times!

Back