24 kWh Battery replacement cost back down to $5500

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SalisburySam said:
That, plus the $40k I paid originally, makes my 2012 a $46k cost item. For the 13,500 miles I’ve driven it in the last 8 years, that’s about $3.41/mi not including electricity, registration, annual taxes, maintenance, and insurance. Cab fare would have been much less. Worse, after the battery replacement I’d have a vehicle that is likely worth about $3k or less. Worse yet, my TCU failed earlier this year, a $1200 ticket to replace. So now, no connectivity, no pre-heating or pre-cooling, etc., etc.

Well, that's the (unfortunately high) price of being an early adopter. A few things in your case are really hard to believe - that you paid $40k, that you drove it <15k miles in the past decade (US average is 15k), and that your battery is in such bad shape after such little mileage.

coleafrado said:
SalisburySam said:
That, plus the $40k I paid originally, makes my 2012 a $46k cost item. For the 13,500 miles I’ve driven it in the last 8 years, that’s about $3.41/mi not including electricity, registration, annual taxes, maintenance, and insurance. Cab fare would have been much less. Worse, after the battery replacement I’d have a vehicle that is likely worth about $3k or less. Worse yet, my TCU failed earlier this year, a $1200 ticket to replace. So now, no connectivity, no pre-heating or pre-cooling, etc., etc.

Well, that's the (unfortunately high) price of being an early adopter. A few things in your case are really hard to believe - that you paid $40k, that you drove it <15k miles in the past decade (US average is 15k), and that your battery is in such bad shape after such little mileage.

Believe what you want, all is true. LEAF was never my commute vehicle, just an errand-mobile around town. After retirement, used even less. Battery loss was due to time, not mileage, as many other threads will attest to. As to the $40k, that's what an SL cost new in late 2011/early 2012. With the hype at the time, no dealer was giving any discounts and many added a dealer mark-up. My dealer charged sticker. And yes, I'm well aware of early adopter pricing and made that decision with eyes open. My point was to say that additional investments into this vehicle are not warranted in my opinion.

SalisburySam said:
coleafrado said:
SalisburySam said:

Believe what you want, all is true. LEAF was never my commute vehicle, just an errand-mobile around town. After retirement, used even less. Battery loss was due to time, not mileage, as many other threads will attest to. As to the $40k, that's what an SL cost new in late 2011/early 2012. With the hype at the time, no dealer was giving any discounts and many added a dealer mark-up. My dealer charged sticker. And yes, I'm well aware of early adopter pricing and made that decision with eyes open. My point was to say that additional investments into this vehicle are not warranted in my opinion.

so you didn't file taxes that year either?

SalisburySam said:
... If I were to opt for the battery replacement, I’d be adding, say, $6k to the capital cost of the vehicle. That, plus the $40k I paid originally, makes my 2012 a $46k cost item. For the 13,500 miles I’ve driven it in the last 8 years, that’s about $3.41/mi not including electricity, registration, annual taxes, maintenance, and insurance. Cab fare would have been much less. Worse, after the battery replacement I’d have a vehicle that is likely worth about $3k or less. Worse yet, my TCU failed earlier this year, a $1200 ticket to replace. So now, no connectivity, no pre-heating or pre-cooling, etc. ...

There's no point in counting the original price as that's a sunk cost and has no bearing on whether the battery replacement is worthwhile monitarily...not that I think you're necessarily wrong to pass on the new battery.

I would think it should be possible to find a used TCU from a salvage yard. You should just have to move your SIM over. Just make sure it's the updated one.

Sam - it's not that I don't literally believe you. It's that the story is unbelievable! How could Nissan fail to make you whole given how obviously defective your Leaf is? Your car (and battery) should be in mint condition, especially since your original battery was replaced, but it fails to meet even 50% of the original range specifications after you drove it less in 8 years than the average American drives in one.

Given that you own a Tesla, I don't see any reason to keep the Leaf. Just sell it for what the market says it's worth and move on. But with a new 24 or 30 kWh replacement battery, its private sale value couldn't possibly be lower than $6-8k.

coleafrado said:
Sam - it's not that I don't literally believe you. It's that the story is unbelievable! How could Nissan fail to make you whole given how obviously defective your Leaf is? Your car (and battery) should be in mint condition, especially since your original battery was replaced, but it fails to meet even 50% of the original range specifications after you drove it less in 8 years than the average American drives in one.

Given that you own a Tesla, I don't see any reason to keep the Leaf. Just sell it for what the market says it's worth and move on. But with a new 24 or 30 kWh replacement battery, its private sale value couldn't possibly be lower than $6-8k.

Got it, and thanks for clarifying. I’ve been known to use hyperbole on occasion but I don’t lie, so you did get my hackles up a bit. But I’m much better now.

As for Nissan, ah well, that’s another issue altogether. My capacity has never gone below 9 bars, so I qualified for nothing. The actual range of the vehicle is not a part of their replacement algorithms. I still have my original battery because of this with no recourse after escalating the issue to NissanUSA; and I did so through my lawyer. After a lot of time and fees, that clearly was going nowhere so I cut my losses.

I’m pretty much at the same conclusion you suggest: dump the LEAF, reflect on lessons learned, enjoy the memories of my introduction to EVs, and grab a martini. You’ll likely find this chuckle-some, but I’m actually considering a 2020 LEAF SL+ as the replacement 2nd vehicle. I should probably go for a 2nd Tesla (Y?, CyberTrk?) but don’t want to spend quite that much. And the LEAF tax credit makes that a bit more attractive.

coleafrado said:
The newer pack chemistry (post 2012) degrades about half as fast per year as the original chemistry, but it still degrades, and after 7-8 years you're likely to have <60% capacity once more.

Unless you live in a hot climate, this is not true. This is a 5% degredation per year, which nearly all owners are not seeing. This graph shows that after 5 years, the 2015 model year is around 80% SOC average. Cold climates are far higher, and hot climates are lower.
https://storage.googleapis.com/geotab-sandbox/ev-battery-degradation/index.html

It's reasonable to expect at least 10 years out of a replacement battery pack before it gets to the current level. At that rate, the battery is around $500/yr or $40/mth. You'll save more on electricity than the cost of gas, and there's no way you could get an EV at that price point. This is financially a very good proposal for a car.

If someone wants newer features or larger range, no doubt, there's a ton of cars out there with plenty more to offer. But the degradation is not nearly as bad as you make it out to be, unless you live somewhere very hot.

SalisburySam said:
I wonder if this price decrease is in any way designed to counter 3rd-party battery replacements. Fenix is proposing a $6K purchase option in addition to a couple of subscription options. A $5500 Nissan battery becomes a much more desirable option, especially if battery chemistry is improved over the original.

My 2012 SL now shows 9 capacity bars but will only get about 30 miles total to VLBW on a 100% charge. If I were to opt for the battery replacement, I’d be adding, say, $6k to the capital cost of the vehicle. That, plus the $40k I paid originally, makes my 2012 a $46k cost item. For the 13,500 miles I’ve driven it in the last 8 years, that’s about $3.41/mi not including electricity, registration, annual taxes, maintenance, and insurance. Cab fare would have been much less. Worse, after the battery replacement I’d have a vehicle that is likely worth about $3k or less. Worse yet, my TCU failed earlier this year, a $1200 ticket to replace. So now, no connectivity, no pre-heating or pre-cooling, etc., etc.

The net of all the above is that I think my 2012 has reached the point of throwing good money after bad. I very much like the car but perhaps the major cash injections it would require to be new again are just not worth it for me.

So good on Nissan for the price reduction, but I believe I’ll pass at this point.

There's no way your leaf is worth $3k after battery replacement. I sold a 7-bar leaf for $3750 a couple months ago. I also bought a 12-bar 2011 which had cosmetic damage from multiple accidents for $5k. A more realistic price for a mint, low mileage 2012 with a brand new battery is in the realm of $7-8k.

There's no way your leaf is worth $3k after battery replacement. I sold a 7-bar leaf for $3750 a couple months ago. I also bought a 12-bar 2011 which had cosmetic damage from multiple accidents for $5k. A more realistic price for a mint, low mileage 2012 with a brand new battery is in the realm of $7-8k.

Agreed. $3k is more like the value before the new battery. It's more like:

* value of car now: $3k.

* cost of new battery: $5500 with labor, and with core returned.

* value of car with new battery: $8k.

Not bad for a near-mint 2012 with a new battery, and only about $500 investment loss. As noted the original purchase cost is now essentially meaningless. With very rare exceptions, buying a new car is not an investment - it's a guaranteed loss.

coleafrado said:
theblueleaf said:
I drive a 2011 Leaf and my battery is at 8 bars. In the winter, I can barely get 20-25 miles on a charge (with the heater off!). This is extremely welcome news.

I called my local Nissan dealer. They don't have an EV technician, but hope to train someone on it within the next year. I could wait, but I've waited long enough.

I then called my next closest Nissan dealer. They don't service EV vehicles and have no plans to do so.

My next call was to one that is far enough away that it would take 2-3 charges to get there. A long trip, but okay if it's just once. They said that they can quote me $650 for the labor, but they have no idea what the cost of the battery would be and they don't know how to even find out. The man I spoke with told me not to believe what I read on the Internet and that even he, a Nissan employee, wouldn't be able to get a price for a battery out of corporate.

There are now multiple reports of this new price (thanks, OP, for this thread!), so I was confident that this guy was wrong about corporate not giving out prices. Nevertheless, there is no substitute for first-hand experience, so I called and can confirm that they are telling people it is $5,499 minus a $1,000 credit for trading in your original battery, plus labor, taxes, etc. Didn't even have to coax that info out like I expected; they were happy to share it and did so right away. The national hotline rep was extremely nice and knowledgeable. He noted that the first step for getting a new battery is to take your car in for a battery test, which I plan to do asap (hoping the local dealer can do the test even if they can't do EV repairs). It takes a minimum of 4-6 weeks for a new battery to be delivered to a dealer after that.

I know that $5,500 is more than the value of my car at this point, but I am willing to pay it. I'll walk away with a car that I know is in good condition and with a brand new battery. No matter what the blue book value is, I know that's worth the investment. I expect to get 8-10 years out of this battery (it better last at least as long as the previous one considering it will be a lizard battery), and that's a reasonable cost for that length of time. At the $8,500 price it was a no, but this price seems much more reasonable. Not great, but reasonable.

blueleaf,

I'd caution against spending $5,500 on a "new" 24 kWh pack (for a cost of $230/kWh, while other manufacturers' packs are being sold today for barely $100/kWh). The newer pack chemistry (post 2012) degrades about half as fast per year as the original chemistry, but it still degrades, and after 7-8 years you're likely to have <60% capacity once more. By that time, batteries are likely have become substantially cheaper and more durable, and more advanced charging technology may be ported to older vehicles. Don't rush into giving Nissan the full price unless you're sure it's worth it.

blueleaf Nissan batteries are not cheap. The 30 kWh packs used in 2016 and 2017 have been discontinued so one has to go with the 40 kWh pack that list for $12,495.00 so that is over $312 per kWh but one would have to be over 100K miles to not be covered by Nissan.

Yes it would be a gamble for a first Gen Leaf but if one wants an EV with a new battery it might be the way several would go?

I was on the fence, but the morning after making an appointment for a quote we received a P33D4 Internal Resistance error code, six months out of warranty on our 2011 with 72 K miles. Mossy came back with $6300 out the door (taxes and labor) so we're going to roll the dice and hope no big expensive repairs come up. Had to argue about the core charge rebate, but they finally agreed. Warranty says 8 years / 100 K for defects, 5 years / 60 K for degradation under 9 bars.

Kicking myself for not getting more Leafspy data before bringing it to the shop. Battery on the invoice listed as 003N/295B0-9RB9D

solartim said:
I was on the fence, but the morning after making an appointment for a quote we received a P33D4 Internal Resistance error code, six months out of warranty on our 2011 with 72 K miles. Mossy came back with $6300 out the door (taxes and labor) so we're going to roll the dice and hope no big expensive repairs come up. Had to argue about the core charge rebate, but they finally agreed. Warranty says 8 years / 100 K for defects, 5 years / 60 K for degradation under 9 bars.

Kicking myself for not getting more Leafspy data before bringing it to the shop. Battery on the invoice listed as 003N/295B0-9RB9D

So they're only giving you a 24 kWh pack? Thought they were discontinued in favor of 30 kWh.

My understanding is the it is the 30kWh packs that have been discontinued. 24kWh are still replaced with same but 30kWh warranty replacements are getting 40kWh packs.

Very interesting! The trick then is to find a 2016 SV/SL with a 30 kWh pack, that's about to drop to 8 bars, and get a 40 kWh replacement under warranty.

alozzy said:
Very interesting! The trick then is to find a 2016 SV/SL with a 30 kWh pack, that's about to drop to 8 bars, and get a 40 kWh replacement under warranty.
Or a 2017 S/SV/SL. Keep in mind 2016 trim S built the last 2 months of that model year got the 30 kWh battery as well per some posts. Say you find one with down to 9 or in some cases 8 bars already for $13K-$16K with 25K miles you will have say a 2016 Leaf Chassis and the battery like is shipping a a new 2020 Leaf. There are steps to go through and not all Leaf dealerships are eager to take on the task for the first time. I just was too tied up last Thanksgiving to address getting my replacement started until two days before 2020 and I still have not heard directly from the dealership about the status of my claim. Because they had never had a Leaf in the shop since they got a new Leaf diagnostic I did tell them to use my car to get themselves trained on the new computer system. When I took it in I did not know about the 30 to 40 swap out.

I can think of a few ways to "undetectably" "degrade" a 30 kWh pack down below 8 bars in a matter of months or weeks. ;)

coleafrado said:
I can think of a few ways to "undetectably" "degrade" a 30 kWh pack down below 8 bars in a matter of months or weeks. ;)

Our 30 kWh did not need any help because in 6 weeks/2500 miles after we bought it we lost the 4th bar just by driving it. We did have to charge it every day because it range was only 60 miles and we use it on two 30 mile trips (morning/afternoon). Hopefully the 40 kWh replacement battery will be stable and last a long long time and not have the known issues of the 30 kWh battery pack.

For anyone interested in the actual total costs involved...

I was quoted $4,500 for the battery (after $1,000 mandatory trade-in credit for the original battery), plus a little over $1,100 for labor. There's also the obligatory state sales tax. I'll be walking away with a new battery (and new warranty on it) fully installed for under $6,000 after all costs are factored in. Considering I hope to get another 8-10 years usage (or more since this one should have better chemistry than my 2011 original), I'm satisfied with that.

I probably could wait it out for another year to see what third-party/salvage options open up, but I'd rather just get it done and not worry about it. Since Nissan is no longer selling new Leafs with batteries under 40kWh, I wonder how long they'll continue to have 24kWh batteries in stock.

goldbrick said:
My understanding is the it is the 30kWh packs that have been discontinued. 24kWh are still replaced with same but 30kWh warranty replacements are getting 40kWh packs.

Really? The 40kWh pack actually fits?

Back