40 kw-hr battery in 2016 leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im the Phoenix class-action representative from the Nissan Leaf battery degradation class action lawsuit that was filed against Nissan and I still own my 2011 Nissan Leaf w/ 101,800 miles and am down 6 capacity bars on the second battery which was replaced under the capacity warranty. I just spoke to Nissan customer service and they lowered the price of their 24 kilowatt hour battery to approximately $5,495. They're 40 kilowatt battery is now $12,495. They are discontinuing the 30 kilowatt hour battery and replacing those cars batteries with their 40 kilowatt hour battery. They have still yet to announce this which is odd and they will not install a 40 kilowatt hour in a 24 kilowatt hour equipped car. I told them about Fenix Power and that Fenix power will be the best solution because your batteries with a small subscription price every month will be kept at maximum capacity and you'll always be at 12 capacity bars.. Can't Wait! :lol:

I'm pretty convinced it is a 40 kw-hr battery. Drove 132 miles, battery at 20% still. Leafspy is still reading crazy.

Good to see that other people are saying 40s will replace the bad 30s. I gave the wrong leaf model, not sure where SE came from, but I had the 30 kw-hr.

It is pretty amazing to go from 60-70 mile range to ~160.

https://imgur.com/a/UTWSd5W

I think Nissan just doesn’t have 30 packs so moved to 40s. It’s cheaper for them and creates a bit of well needed good PR.

My guess the 40 and 62 go to 62 and 8X next year.m, so they want to burn out their 40 packs. You would think the dealers would be begging to be allowed to sell the battery upgrades though.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I think Nissan just doesn’t have 30 packs so moved to 40s. It’s cheaper for them and creates a bit of well needed good PR.

My guess the 40 and 62 go to 62 and 8X next year.m, so they want to burn out their 40 packs. You would think the dealers would be begging to be allowed to sell the battery upgrades though.

For a reasonable price though. Someone on here said the 40 price was over 12k, and my math put it well over $300 per kWh. That's a bit high is it not? Everything I hear and read says batteries are at or below $150 per kWh and going down.

Thankfully my warranty is good for a long time still! Still, it would be attractive in the future to maybe upgrade to a 62 pack if it was well priced.

Consider my "out the door" price to me on a new 40 leaf was 15540 something after rebates and incentives. So spending nearly 13k on a replacement battery sounds crazy. To me.

Consider my "out the door" price to me on a new 40 leaf was 15540 something after rebates and incentives. So spending nearly 13k on a replacement battery sounds crazy. To me.

Does it still sound crazy if you think of it as paying near MSRP for the Leaf, and getting either a free 40kwh battery, or a heavily discounted 62kwh battery, when needed?

The word must be out. I saw a 10 bar 2016 SV for sale locally yesterday but it is already gone. I would not have considered it without the possibility of a 40kWh warranty replacement battery. I may not be the only one thinking along those lines since it was priced at $12.5k which is a pretty typical sales price for that model around here and many are listed for week(s) before selling.

LeftieBiker said:

Does it still sound crazy if you think of it as paying near MSRP for the Leaf, and getting either a free 40kwh battery, or a heavily discounted 62kwh battery, when needed?

Not sure? I probably wouldn't be looking that far ahead, for better or worse. I would look at the cost of the battery at that moment as being almost twice what it should cost. I mean, if Nissan is gouging for a replacement battery it doesn't really matter how good a deal I got before, they are still gouging,

But more likely, faced with a 13k "fix", I'd take that money and instead get another "new" Leaf or other EV (if I could once again find a year-old model sitting on the dealers lot). Make the best deal I can at that moment in time including rebates and credits.

Your point is well taken though. Hard to predict the future.
Only thing we do know is the 2018 warranty is a lot better anyway than older models, so less likely I'll have to face that scenario. I'm right around 90% SOH at 7 months of ownership.

CaliLeaf said:
Dealer just replaced my battery in 2016 Leaf SE. Range said 168 miles when I got in. Drove 10 miles and now it says 155. Are they putting 40 kw-hr batteries in now as replacements?

Car has 71k miles, battery was down to 61% SOH.

Yes

CaliLeaf said:
At 92%, it was 262 amp-hr. SOC is 150%.

I'm afraid it will be at 40% battery and die on me.

LEAF Spy should autodetect the correct pack. I would suggest accessing settings and manually selecting the correct pack.

FYI; 62 kwh packs are a mere 176 ahr.

johnlocke said:
CaliLeaf said:
https://imgur.com/a/lpfDYWI

This was taken after driving 10 miles from dealership. I will charge Thursday night. What should I capture after that charge?

https://imgur.com/a/9K4CcRl

This is taken later, says I have 35 kw-hr left?

That can't be correct. The first image implies 100+ KWH ( 262ah*393v=102.966 KWH). Drive the car for a couple of days and see how far you can get on a charge. The second image seems more reasonable and does imply a 40KWH battery. I think the BMS is confused. Drive the car for a couple of weeks and see if the BMS spits out more reasonable numbers. In any case, the actual range you get from driving down the battery will tell the truth.

ahr calc should be using nominal voltage of 360. That said; 262 ahr is not right

MikeD said:
CaliLeaf: What are all the part nos of parts used for your battery pack replacement? That should be very revealing. For example, a 40kWh pack even requires a different set of covers than the 24kWh pack, I think. They should have provided this information on your invoice.

He had 30 kwh pack previously

MikeD said:
Initially I assumed the OP had a 24kWh pack from the post details, but I was probably wrong.
When Calileaf wrote s/he had an SE s/he probably meant not an S but either an SV or SL, both of which had 30kWh battery packs (the S had a 24kWh pack). These battery packs have 8 yr/100,000 mile warranties which would explain why the dealer would replace them (under warranty) at 71,000 miles and might explain why less information about the replacement was given to the owner.

I had a 30 kwh 2016 S... Build date 10/16. They only came in two build dates. 10/16 and 11/16

I saw the real invoice (they would not give me a copy) and the charge for the battery was $13k. The dealership enjoyed this warranty work.

CaliLeaf said:
I'm pretty convinced it is a 40 kw-hr battery. Drove 132 miles, battery at 20% still. Leafspy is still reading crazy.

Good to see that other people are saying 40s will replace the bad 30s. I gave the wrong leaf model, not sure where SE came from, but I had the 30 kw-hr.

It is pretty amazing to go from 60-70 mile range to ~160.

https://imgur.com/a/UTWSd5W

Thanks CaliLeaf. That answered my earlier question about GOM readout after the 30 wKa to 40 wKa Nissan battery swap. I guess I will need to change LSP setting to the new 40 kWh setting in the software set up. Perhaps Leaf Spy Pro coding just is not set up to for the upgrade changes. Did you number of charges clear and start recounting. If my old range of 60 does go close to 160 and I have 12 SOH bars for a long long timed I really will not need LSP. I mainly used it to count down the GID's because around 5 I knew the turtle was going to pop out his head AGAIN. :)

Did Nissan shop print you out any battery specs and its serial number, etc after the job was finished?

CaliLeaf said:
I saw the real invoice (they would not give me a copy) and the charge for the battery was $13k. The dealership enjoyed this warranty work.

My swap should happen soon but the service writer over the phone said the battery from Nissan is $12,500 which I did not believe him until last night reading here. I did not know the 30 kWa batteries were discontinued but now I know what he told me over the phone was for the 40 kWa pack so that all adds up. The selling Nissan dealership sales person said after it lost the 4th bar I would not have trouble getting it replaced because Nissan pays the dealership well.

At this point both dealerships and National Leaf rep have all been nice and helpful.

goldbrick said:
The word must be out. I saw a 10 bar 2016 SV for sale locally yesterday but it is already gone. I would not have considered it without the possibility of a 40kWh warranty replacement battery. I may not be the only one thinking along those lines since it was priced at $12.5k which is a pretty typical sales price for that model around here and many are listed for week(s) before selling.

2016 SV or SL popped up in an ad the other day and it was already down to 8 bars but that was in the north east I think so they are out there ripe for a new battery. It looks like the first 2 years of this generation of battery had issues like the 2011 and 2012 generation. I hear a lot of rumors about the health of Nissan but so far with this 6th Nissan (first one without a gas tank) I have no Nissan people complaints all have be super nice and helpful so far.

Back