has anyone actually paid for an out of warranty battery replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goldbrick said:
^That is exactly what I was thinking. In my current house, I'm planning to go grid-tied but if I buy my parents' place in the future, it might make sense to go off-grid. I haven't done the math but it seems like a used Leaf battery is much cheaper than just about any other battery storage at the moment and if a used pack could be had for $1200 or something that makes it even better.

Good luck with your project and feel free to post any details here. There is an off-topic area that has a bunch of solar installs and such.

Thanks for that.

I will plan to do post details on this site as I get further along.

Regarding the battery delivery to my place, I talked to a local Nissan dealership about returning (to Nissan) the pallet that, literally, says "EV Battery pallet - do not throw away." I talked to the parts manager and the pallet is apparently intended to be for an intra-dealer transfer. They receive a new leaf battery and put the old one (removed from the Leaf) on the received pallet... so there are no 'extra' pallets around. Turns out they didn't want the pallet. I also asked if I could buy the battery, but the guy dissed me.

I have a connection to another leaf dealership in NC and I'll try to see details on how this might work, not just for me but for those interested in obtaining/retaining the battery.

Oilpan4 said:
If you have the tools and talent you could take your battery apart and firesale the modules for $25 each.
There's 96 of them so you get a lot more than a $1,000 back real quick.

I've thought about breaking the packs down to modules, but I have come to a different conclusion wrt Nissan packs. They work best when kept as much intact as possible. Hard to beat the OEM wiring. The packs are well put together, IMO. Breaking them down to the module eliminates
some of the best parts, like the sense wires integrated into the safety plastics. I retained all the thermistors and wiring harnesses as well, but cut off the end connectors to the 384v BMS and substituted for interfaces to 8x 48v (12s) connections instead. The pack is now an 8 battery pack of 48v (66ah, or about 24kWh total) that I'll parallel wire to the charge controller(s) and sunny island inverters.

For those concerned about safety, do like me and use an electrician (1 hr. service call, at least the first pack) to get to a safer set of 48v packs. For Gen 1 packs, it takes about 12 bolts and 10 minutes to take out the main bus bars and jumpers. I can post details for anyone interested.

Oilpan4 said:
If you have the tools and talent you could take your battery apart and firesale the modules for $25 each.
There's 96 of them so you get a lot more than a $1,000 back real quick.

Actually, there are 48 modules in a 24 kWh pack (96 cell-pairs with 2 cell-pairs per module).

Hello All,

I just got back from the dealer with a battery evaluation and quote . I am not sure how to add an attachment to the forum here so couldn’t attach the actual quote.

For the battery change, they quoted me $11897.96 :evil: .

The breakdown is

24x P/N - 295B9-3NA9A : $454.29 ea = $10902.96 [I tried to find details on these cell/modules but couldn't - anyone knows?]
5 hours labor - difference cost of $199/hour

I asked the maintenance advisors why they are not putting in the whole battery pack part number but changing out the cells and she said that is the only option according to Nissan.

If I do not find another solution to battery swap, I only have two options that I can think of -
A. run it to the ground till my comfort level. Although, I am worried that there may be a degradation cascade effect towards lower SOH
B. Try to sell it right now as is.

As much as I would like to tinker with gadgets, I do not have access to hoists and lifts ; dealing with a DIY repair of a heavy high voltage battery seems daunting. As such the 'Simon Andre' can module type solutions are a no-go.

I thank you all for the discussion so far and welcome further suggestions.

2012 Nissan Leaf SL
42800 miles
7 bars
~50% SOH according to leaf spy
central coast, CA

Im the Phoenix class-action representative from the Nissan Leaf battery degradation class action lawsuit that was filed against Nissan and I still own my 2011 Nissan Leaf w/ 101,800 miles and am down 6 capacity bars on the second battery which was replaced under the capacity warranty. I just spoke to Nissan customer service and they lowered the price of their 24 kilowatt hour battery to approximately $5,495. They're 40 kilowatt battery is now $12,495. They are discontinuing the 30 kilowatt hour battery and replacing those cars batteries with their 40 kilowatt hour battery. They have still yet to announce this which is odd and they will not install a 40 kilowatt hour in a 24 kilowatt hour equipped car. I told them about Fenix Power and that Fenix power will be the best solution because your batteries with a small subscription price every month will be kept at maximum capacity and you'll always be at 12 capacity bars.. Can't Wait! :p

Update: The dealer just called me after Nissan CS talked to them and they said they can do the swap for $5500 all in. I asked them what part number they will put in and they had no answer. So if Nissan confirms the right chemistry , then I will be going for it.

I sent out Requests for Estimate to over 20 Nissan dealer in the Orange county California area. I will post the results here.

Out of the 20 plus RFQs I sent out I have received the following correspondence back.

Summary:
Nissan of Tustin -- $6,775.25
Nissan of Irvine -- $8025.59
Nissan of Costa Mesa -- $9065.52
Nissan of Capistrano -- $6497.97

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NISSAN OF TUSTIN
(714) 426-1501

Quote # 338
Last Updated: 02/05/20
NISSAN OF TUSTIN

Customer:
CHARLES DOWDELL
3400 AVENUE OF THE ARTS
H413
COSTA MESA, CA 92626

Vehicle:
2012 Nissan-Datsun Leaf ELE-Electric Engine

Type Description Part # Qty/Hrs Price/Rate Extended
Part MAIN LI-ION BATTERY INCLUDING UPDATED
MOUNTING BRACKETS AND MAIN CONNECTOR

EV LI-ION BATTERY1.0 $5,100.00 $5,100.00

Labor LABOR TO DISCHARGE, DISCONNECT AND REMOVE
OLD BATTERY AND INSTALL NEW BATTERY WITH NEW
MOUNTING BRACKETS AND CHARGE DIS-CONNECT
PORT

8.0 $160.00 $1,280.00

Parts Total: $5,100.00
Labor Total: $1,280.00
Others Total: $0.00
Parts Tax: $395.25
Labor Tax: $0.00
Total: $6,775.25

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, Charles

We received your letter inquiring about a price quote to replace your Lithium Ion Battery on your Nissan Leaf, with the VIN provided the estimate will be as follow:

Parts : $5056.12
Labor : $1050.00
Tax : $391.85
Total :$6497.97

*Please note that a $1000.00 core charge will apply if your Nissan Leaf Battery presents outside damage beyond repair which makes it not a good core.

Hopefully I have provided all needed information, the battery on the parts quote is the same one as the one your vehicle was manufactured with. same KW. I am uncertain if the part that was quoted at the Nissan of Irvine would be a different one since we did see there seems to be a difference in price, but know that all the information above is correct as per the VIN that was provided.

Please feel free to contact us with any further questions.

Brian Escobar

Service Advisor

Nissan of Capistrano

949-276-2028

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is ying from Puente hills Nissan

YOU WANTS THE PRCE FOR TRACTION MOTOR OR TRACTION INVERTER

PLEASE LET ME KNOW

MY PHONE IS 626-626-2651 OR MY CELL 626-372-7830

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Charles

this is Jamie Maisano a service advisor here at Nissan Of Costa Mesa I have put together a quote for the Leaf battery replacement

BATTERY ASSY $ 7398.99
CORE PRICE $ 1000.00
IF RETURNED - $1000.00
BRACKET ASSY $77.99
BOLT $4.99 x 4 $19.96
CLIP $5.99
COVER BATTERY $35.99 X 2 $71.98
COVER BATTERY $35.99
COVER BATTERY $22.99

LABOR $840.00

TOTAL $9065.52
THAT IS WITH TAX INCLUDED AND CORE DEDUCTED

Please let me know if you have any questions 714 363-6886
i am out of the office on wed

Hi All,

I just got my 2012 leaf back after the replacement

295B0-9RB9D (cw) : $4499 after core return
297C1-3NF0A : $80.45 switch disconnect
-$500 Costco discount
-$84 : return for old battery eval
$332 : tax

Total : $5242

Thanks everyone for the input and the tips of Costco discount/ part numbers info and other supportive comments.

I am planning to baby this battery as well for first few years except when full range needed. Hoping the lizard chemistry lives up to its reputation.

DrR said:
Hi All,

-$500 Costco discount

Thanks everyone for the input and the tips of Costco discount/ part numbers info and other supportive comments.

I am planning to baby this battery as well for first few years except when full range needed. Hoping the lizard chemistry lives up to its reputation.

That's actually not bad. Costco discount, eh? I'm not a member, but maybe I should consider next time I need a pack. Well, assuming there is a next time for this particular car.

DrR said:
Hi All,

-$500 Costco discount

Which dealer is it? Can you post a picture of the bill? I would go for it at that price...

Hi All,

As you can trace my post here I was originally quoted $8k, then after battery eval - $12k .

I contacted Nissan customer service and reported it and they opened a ticket for me , worked with my dealer to explain to them the true costs.

I would suggest working with Nissan at this point and having them route you to a dealer or work with your dealer. I don’t think it should matter much where you are beyond that.

Different dealers may charge slightly different labor and core return may depend on your old battery condition. Other than that, costs for 24 kWh replacement should be in that ballpark and no more.

See https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=577988#p577988

Everything else, I have learnt from this forum so I would suggest you read all relevant posts

I am genuinely thankful to the creators and contributors to this forum.

Yeah $5,200 is a strong case to buy one with all risks considered. I'm almost 4 years 80k miles on a Lizard pack, just lost the 2nd bar last December. On the original pack I was on the way to lose the 5th around same time in. No babying. 100% charge daily. So yes, its an improvement.

Ours is in, pretty quick turnaround, shipping was less then a week $6300 after tax and labor. After a full charge we are reading 97.5%
SOC 91.2% (why don't they match?)
GIDs 274
AHr 65.21
SOH 102.21
Hx 94.45%

One strange thing is that the charging history was not reset, so Leafspy shows 5087 L1/L2.

cwerdna said:
Cold weather? (battery heater?)

Looks like at least 1 part number has changed/is diffrent vs. page 19 of https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/126060/NTB14-059c. I wonder if there's a newer revision than c?
There's now a revision d of NTB14-059.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10171223-0001.pdf has NTB14-059d.

I ended up getting mine replaced on my 2012 leaf at Ace Hybrid in Stanton CA.

It cost me $4893.75 on May 20, 2020

It was a Nissan Factory new battery. With a 1 year 15k mile warranty.

I also enjoyed a $1000 instant rebate from the state of California. Since then I moved to Georgia with the car. Its working great.

If you have the battery replaced at your expense by a Nissan dealer, you get a 5-year, 60,000-mile warranty. I wonder how Ace Hybrid was able to purchase a new battery from Nissan and did they return the old one to Nissan.

I dont know what the deal/is was between Nissan and Ace. They were very unique in their abilities and cost. I was looking all over and they happened to be close by.

They offer repairing a battery. But I opted for a complete new battery. I do think they have to send the old battery back to Nissan. I have full bars and absolutely no issues.

I am easy on my batteries. I have a 2013 that I bought new. The 2012 I bought used. My 2013 has only lost one bar. I slow charged it almost all the time, and I dont do things like drive it hard on the expressway then plug it into a fast charger. It is always garaged. I drive as conservative as traffic allows. Sometimes traffic is more conservative than I like in Atlanta. :)

I think they are great cars. That is why I have two. Part of what makes them great is the low-low price AND the repair ability.

chazd1 said:
I ended up getting mine replaced on my 2012 leaf at Ace Hybrid in Stanton CA.
It cost me $4893.75 on May 20, 2020
It was a Nissan Factory new battery. With a 1 year 15k mile warranty.
Your story is so different than what others report, it would be really informative and interesting to know the ACE hybrid details.

For a start, how do you know that you received a new Nissan battery ?
Did it come with a warranty booklet ?
Do you know when the battery was manufactured ?

Addendum: I looked at the ACE hybrid website a few minutes ago. The are only offering remanufactured battery packs now, at a higher price than you paid for what you think is a new pack. Either you were really fortunate and your timing was perfect, or you have a pack different than what you think you got.

Yes, very likely my timing was right.

I was looking hard for a replacement. I was surprised I found a ACE so close. I was going to ship the car many miles! The warranty is embossed on the invoice. They indicated that they don't make much money on that replacement, but they didnt have headaches and call-backs. I think it was the right way to go and I jumped on it immediately.

I don't know if California has the battery replacement rebate anymore. I had to furnish my California address to get it.

He warned me the "guess o meter" would be totally wrong for the first miles. And it was. It is still getting better.

I am still optimistic that we will get better batteries in the future through 3rd parties. Maybe even liquid cooled or fuel cell replacements.

I really like what Daniel Öster in Finland is doing. He (or someone else) will fully crack the proprietary aspects of Nissans's software. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3g-KhOBoicgOrB4KkMeew

Back