Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why don't you go on over to the Bolt group and ask them or search the two forums on the Bolt. I don't know the answer except that they have discussed it extensively.

mychevybolt.com
chevybolt.org

Paul

Unfortunately, my 2017 Bolt's battery cools off just from driving. After driving 180 miles at 20F, the car only pulls about 100A (about 35kW). After charging for 15 minutes or so, it hits more normal speeds. For a 500 mile trip at 20F, I would plan on stopping after 150 miles, and then every 100 miles thereafter, if possible. This keeps you from having to charge too far into the Bolt's (aggressive) taper. That's 4 stop. It can be done in 3, though, if you charge it nearly to full. But that will end up being slower. In the end, it really depends on where the chargers are, and not where you wish they would be.

The 2020 Bolt is said to charge "150% faster" in the cold, but we don't have a lot of empirical data as to what that means yet.

Car and Driver:
2020 Chevrolet Bolt EV vs. Death Valley: Range Anxiety in a Hot Seat
We drive Chevy's diminutive EV hatchback from one of the lowest towns in the Western Hemisphere to the highest peak in the lower-48 for an unorthodox range test.
268 mile round trip from Badwater (Death Valley), CA @ -266 ft. (not -279' let alone -282', that's a hike out over the salt flat) to Whitney Portal, CA (8,374') and back un-recharged in a 2020 (259 mile EPA) Bolt. Had to cruise below the speed limit (temps around 90 in DV), no A/C, windows up. Livable with fan, but not enjoyable. If anything, shows just why a QC in Lone Pine is considered so valuable by those of us who travel the area. There's a nice shot of the Whitney Cirque (R-to-L, east face of Whitney, Keeler and Day needles) from the road up to Whitney Portal. Unstated in the article is how they started with a full charge from Badwater, as Plugshare shows the nearest charging in the Furnace Creek area, about 17 miles north. I suspect a certain amount of artistic license was used.

specialgreen said:
Question on road-tripping a Bolt in winter (I'm a Leaf owner but considering buying a bolt to take trips without gas).

I take a few annual trips during winter... say, about 500 miles each way (3 DCFC sessions) at about 20F ambient (-7C). I've read that the Bolt is slow to DCFC when cold. But I've also read that the Bolt will preheat the battery to 27C (80.6F) if it is plugged-in and fully charged. If you are plugged-in overnight before a winter trip, would you get full-(bolt)-speed charging at all three DCFC stops? (like 40kw below 60%SOC at Chargepoint/Greenlots and 50kw at EA?)

If you didn't plug-in overnight (such as when staying at a hotel), would only the first DCFC be slow, then subsequent DCFC sessions would be full (bolt) speed?

Dk anything about the preheating part but I have seen 8 different examples of slow charging Bolts in temps ranging up to the upper 40's. In more extreme cases with temp at 25ºF, A Bolt was charging at 22 KW @ 40% SOC and had been charging 12 mins by the time the pix was snapped. All these were EA stations.

From this, it would appear that even the heat of driving is not sufficient to heat the pack into the optimal range. To contrast; 55 KW up to ~ 55% SOC is typical during Summer.

DaveinOlyWA said:
From this, it would appear that even the heat of driving is not sufficient to heat the pack into the optimal range.

In my experience, just driving the car in those temps actually cools the battery to lower than it was when preheated. So preheat for creature comfort, but don't expect any gain whatsoever what you stop to charge 3 hours later.

GetOffYourGas said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
From this, it would appear that even the heat of driving is not sufficient to heat the pack into the optimal range.

In my experience, just driving the car in those temps actually cools the battery to lower than it was when preheated. So preheat for creature comfort, but don't expect any gain whatsoever what you stop to charge 3 hours later.

That's interesting. I've DCFC'd my Leaf three times within one day in winter, and each DCFC session was faster than the previous one. For the Leaf, there seems to be a "goldilocks zone" (ambient temperature somewhere below freezing) where the heating from repeated DCFC sessions is balanced by heat loss while driving to the next charger.

It sounds like the Bolt battery cools faster, so every DCFC session starts-off slowly. I wonder if you could add a driver-controlled 12v coolant heater in-between the high voltage battery coolant inlet and the existing heater? (like the heater off a 2011 Leaf; or something smaller). Or look at why the bolt battery cools-off (add a sheet of radiant barrier between the battery and rock-guard? Insulate the hoses between battery and the battery coolant heater, pump and a/c heat exchanger?).

I don't know how legit this dealer is but someone in a Bolt FB group pointed to https://www.quirkchevy.com/new-vehicles/#action=im_ajax_call&perform=get_results&model%5B%5D=Bolt+EV&page=1&order=ASC&orderby=price in MA.

They have 2020 Bolts starting at "$21,495" but actually that includes a $1500 "trade assist" discount, so you actually need to add $1500 to most/all their prices --> $22,995 to start. From a quick glance, looks like the cheapest ones with ($750) DC fast charge inlet (will show up on window sticker link if it has it) have MSRP of $38,245. Those are $23,745 (once you add back $1,500 to $22,245).

Man... these are quite cheap.

Oddly, I don't notice any Premier trims, only the lower LT trim. If you want the better stereo (part of the infotainment package) or Surround Vision (4 camera system), you need to go to the Premier trim...

cwerdna said:
If you want the better stereo (part of the infotainment package) or Surround Vision (4 camera system), you need to go to the Premier trim...

Interesting that these are the things you single out. Also only available on Premier trim is rear heated seats and integrated roof rails. The two reasons that I upgraded to Premier over LT. Everyone has their own priorities...

GetOffYourGas said:
cwerdna said:
If you want the better stereo (part of the infotainment package) or Surround Vision (4 camera system), you need to go to the Premier trim...

Interesting that these are the things you single out. Also only available on Premier trim is rear heated seats and integrated roof rails. The two reasons that I upgraded to Premier over LT. Everyone has their own priorities...
Indeed. I couldn't care less about the roof rails. If the rear heated seats were gone, oh well. It's not common I have any rear passengers.

For me, the Surround Vision was a MUST. I LOVE Around View Monitor on my Leaf. Have been enjoying it since end of July 2013. It also helps me prevent getting curb rash on my wheels. I've had a car w/a backup camera only since Jan 06 (my former 06 Prius) but AVM is WAY better. I would have huge regrets of buying a car that can have it but passing on that option.

As for better stereo... I never heard the base stereo but I've heard many reports that it sucks. The Bose stereo as part of the infotainment package is decent for a factory stereo and is roughly comparable w/the Bose stereo in my Leaf. A decent stereo is pretty important to me. I've had lousy stereos before (on a Dodge, a Toyota and on my former 350Z (not quite as lousy as the other two)).

Unfortunately (?), IIRC (from Edmunds?), back when I got my Bolt, Bolt Premiers if they came with DC FC tended to also come with infotainment package and driver confidence II. It was rare to have a Premier with DC FC w/o the other one or two options. Not sure about 2020 Bolts now.

For me, the Surround Vision was a MUST. I LOVE Around View Monitor on my Leaf. Have been enjoying it since end of July 2013. It also helps me prevent getting curb rash on my wheels. I've had a car w/a backup camera only since Jan 06 (my former 06 Prius) but AVM is WAY better. I would have huge regrets of buying a car that can have it but passing on that option.

Agreed. Along with the heated steering wheel, these are the must-have features for any car I drive a lot. I could probably tolerate a worse stereo, but I'd notice it.

I too had thought I noticed great prices at my closest dealer but didn't look at in more detail. Now they have none.

Part of it could be the dealers need to entice shoppers as anyone paying attention has heard the 2021 Bolt is getting an interior refresh, with the rumor suggesting that includes the seats. The Bolt EUC (?) is also suppose to be out in the next year as well? I certainly would wait to see what those bring.

cwerdna said:
GetOffYourGas said:
cwerdna said:

Indeed. I couldn't care less about the roof rails. If the rear heated seats were gone, oh well. It's not common I have any rear passengers.

As for better stereo... I never heard the base stereo but I've heard many reports that it sucks. The Bose stereo as part of the infotainment package is decent for a factory stereo and is roughly comparable w/the Bose stereo in my Leaf. A decent stereo is pretty important to me. I've had lousy stereos before (on a Dodge, a Toyota and on my former 350Z (not quite as lousy as the other two)).

Unfortunately (?), IIRC (from Edmunds?), back when I got my Bolt, Bolt Premiers if they came with DC FC tended to also come with infotainment package and driver confidence II. It was rare to have a Premier with DC FC w/o the other one or two options. Not sure about 2020 Bolts now.

Surround vision is nice every now and then (when parking in a tight spot), but this is rare for me.

On the contrary, the Bolt is my family's travel car. I have kids in the back far more often than not (I put <5 miles/day on the car for commuting, but >20miles/day for family errands). I also live in a cold climate. The kids use their heated seats every day for about 5-6 months of the year. Well worth it. I also have a cargo box that basically lives on the roof. Right now it's full of skis, poles, and boots. In the summer, it holds luggage for vacations. Having integrated roof rails means I never have to worry about the box. It is solidly attached. No more clip-on racks that slide around.

cwerdna said:
I don't know how legit this dealer is but someone in a Bolt FB group pointed to https://www.quirkchevy.com/new-vehicles/#action=im_ajax_call&perform=get_results&model%5B%5D=Bolt+EV&page=1&order=ASC&orderby=price in MA.
That's a nearby dealer for me. It's quite legit. Pretty amazing pricing:
MSRP : $37,495
-$14,500 Discounts/Incentives
= $22,995
Or, Lease for only $165/month with $0 down.
Take at least $14,500 off any the 40 available!
MA EV State Incentive: Additional $2,500 rebate available.
EV Federal tax credit: If you’re looking to purchase a Chevrolet Bolt EV, now is the perfect time. Take advantage of the federal tax credit of up to $1,875 while it’s still available.
with the $14500 being:
Discounts $6000 available to everyone
Consumer cash program $8500 available to everyone
Trade assist $1500 (must trade 2005 or newer vehicle, lease deals do not qualify)
With the extra state rebate and fed tax credit taking another $4375 off.

The Bolt EV is currently the third most popular plug-in at work with over 20 of them. There are 3x as many Model 3s and almost 2x as many Volts, but I think this deal will definitely result in more people here buying Bolts in the near term.

GCR:
GM adds real-time charging-station smarts—via app—to Chevy Bolt EV
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...rging-station-smarts-via-app-to-chevy-bolt-ev

. . . Through the myChevrolet app, on Apple or Android devices, drivers can project Energy Assist functionality via Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, to allow access to a growing set of features aimed at finding a charging station and route-planning, while taking into consideration the real-time available range of the car.

GM announced Thursday that through a series of updates rolling out over the first part of 2020, Energy Assist is now capable of displaying dynamic charging-station data, to recognize when a station is in use or perhaps out of service.

The automaker reports that the app is now displaying dynamic data from EVgo and ChargePoint—two major charging networks—and the app indicates whether a charging station is available. Dynamic data from other networks—likely including Greenlots, which already partnered with GM last year—will be added later in 2020.

It's also deepened its index of all the charging station locations that are Bolt EV–compatible; that now includes more than 40,000 stations in North America.

A new feature links EVgo accounts to the myChevrolet mobile app, so that users can just pay through the Bolt EV’s app and interface. Other such agreements are also on the way later in the year.

The Energy Assist functionality requires an OnStar telematics service agreement. Those in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico who are original purchasers of the Bolt EV have access to Energy Assist in the myChevrolet mobile app, with full functionality for five years from delivery date.

According to GM, owners will need to enroll in a paid plan after five years to get the route-planning functionality. Although those who purchased their Bolt EV prior to May 1, 2018 have a different set of plans, those who bought their Bolt EV from then on have a minimum $14.99/month Remote Access plan. . . .

Was unable to find an European EV sales thread... maybe there is one that I couldn't find?

Opel Ampera-e (Opel Who?!?) Wins January In The Netherlands — EV Sales Report
https://cleantechnica.com/2020/02/13/opel-ampera-e-opel-who-wins-january-in-the-netherlands-ev-sales-report/

Ampera-e is aka the Bolt in the US. Interesting that Leaf is a distant 18 in sales for that month there.

With GM's EV news day, https://electrek.co/2020/03/04/ama-gm-bev-event-ev-hummers-huge-cadillacs-new-bolts-e-uvs/ pointed to:
https://electrek.co/2020/03/04/2021-chevy-bolt-revealed-significant-redesign/
https://electrek.co/2020/03/04/chevy-bolt-euv-announced-with-supercruise-longer-wheelbase-and-improved-design/

In the 1st link, he says
"We weren’t allowed to take pictures, and GM didn’t share any good press images, but I am going to discuss all those new EVs based on my own impressions of spending a few hours with all of them."

I haven't had time to watch the video. Keep in mind that Electrek is known Tesla fanboy site.

Back