Schuko 16A plug EVSE in UK

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGrumps

So, my 60 mile round trip commute to work is happily satisfied by a charge during working hours at the office (landlord pays for electricity) using the supplied EVSE (about 2.4kW).
But, would I be correct in thinking that I could use an EV charger that has a 2 pin 16Amp Schuko type plug, after installing a compatible socket and 16Amp RCBO/MCB in my consumer unit (fuse box). Like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/K-H-N-S-Charger-Charging-Electric/dp/B07SSX23P1 (if I'm allowed to post links).
This would charge at the full 3.6kW (for my Leaf).

Hopefully a UK member can help you, as this is primarily a US/Canada forum. It would help if you posted the exact year and model of your Leaf. Based on what you wrote it could be either a pre-2013 Leaf or a 2013+ Leaf S - which I believe has a different name in the UK.

Hi
I appreciate your reply, and the fact that most posters here are from US/CAN.
My Leaf (and I'm new to the EV scene) is a 2016 model which has a 3.3kW onboard charger (seems to be two variants on the UK, 3.3kW and 6.6kW).
I'll copy'n'paste my original question and post to a more local group (if I can find any).
Ta.

If I understand correctly, you have what is called a Leaf S here, without the Charge Package. A 16A 220 (?) volt EVSE should allow it to charge at the maximum 3.3kw rate as you surmised. Your link to a specific unit isn't working, so I can't tell you if it's the right type.

The 6.6 kW OBC was a standalone option in Europe, which means that you can have a top-spec model with leather interior, heat pump, Chademo port and all the other bell and whistles - but only the 3.3 kW OBC. Things were different in the US, where the 6.6 kW OBC got bundled with other things.

With that said - yes, you can use the charger you are linking to. The link appears when you try to reply, but is not shown when posted. I got the same thing when I tried to post it myself. Odd.

The 6.6 kW OBC was a standalone option in Europe, which means that you can have a top-spec model with leather interior, heat pump, Chademo port and all the other bell and whistles - but only the 3.3 kW OBC.

Interesting! What about Chademo?

LeftieBiker said:
The 6.6 kW OBC was a standalone option in Europe, which means that you can have a top-spec model with leather interior, heat pump, Chademo port and all the other bell and whistles - but only the 3.3 kW OBC.

Interesting! What about Chademo?

Yep, as written, you can get a 2013-17 Leaf in Europe with Chademo and 3.3 kW OBC. You can also have one with 6.6 kW OBC, but without Chademo. In fact, most European 2013-17 Leafs will have the 3.3 kW OBC I believe.

In Norway, where I am based, Chademo has always been a standard feature on Leaf even on the base spec. But there are a few second-hand European cars without Chademo that have made their way here.

Thanks for the helpful info. In North America, the Leaf S is the only version since 2013 with the 3.3kw onboard charger, and that is upgraded to the 6.6 when the Charge Package with Chademo port is ordered.

Back