EVSE defaults on a outlet (208 on 30 amp breaker)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vikingcoach

I have a 2018 Leaf and have only been able to charge at work using a 110 trickle charge. My employer wired an outside outlet for a powerwasher (208 on a 30amp breaker) which I have access to and can use while at work. The problem is that the EVSE that came with my car defaults when I plug it in.
Is there an aftermarket EVSE that will work on this 208 30amp outlet and what would the specs be. I see tons of aftermarket products out there but want to be sure I am selecting the correct type.

Thank you.

https://www.amazon.com/SimplyWork-Adjustable-110V-240V-Connector-Organizer/dp/B081FJCPH1/ref=sr_1_24?keywords=level+2+ev+charger&qid=1579992046&s=automotive&sprefix=level+%2Cautomotive%2C288&sr=1-24
Clipper Creek also sells a 24a only EVSE but I personally prefer something more flexible.
On a 30a circuit 24a is really the max you are supposed to draw continuously so this eliminated lots of EVSEs that lack the 24a setting, basically all EVSEs other than the Nissan one :roll: work on the somewhat common 208v commercial as well as the most common residential 240v.
You didn't mention what outlet you had but more than likely you'll have to purchase or make an outlet adapter to adapt to the EVSE plug.

smkettner said:
I recommend the ClipperCreek LCS-30 with the proper plug if available.

It should be noted that Clipper Creek uses model numbers that represent the total amperage of the circuit, not the output of the EVSE. So an LCS/HCS 30 would be appropriate for a 30 amp circuit, and would have a 24A output.

Thank you all for the quick feedback. I still have a lot to learn about being an EV owner and your support is much appreciated.

Gary.

Back