What's new for 2020?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It might be. This is what they list:

Price Reduction Below MSRP-$1,378

Chevrolet Dealer Cash Program-$2,500

GM Lease Loyalty Towards Purchase Private Offer-$1,500

AV Chevy 2020 Limited Bolt Premier Special-$1,509

Customer Cash-$8,500

Total Savings$15,387

Just got off the phone with our sales rep. Right now they are anticipating as much as 6 months additional wait for our SL. This could put us past our max time limit as we have a trip coming up that would be less than ideal in our 2016 SV. I’m not sure why the bottle neck to Canada but whatever it is we are now seriously considering the model 3 even though it’s not as good a fit for us. Great car though. We are in Palm Springs right now. Time for another visit to Tesla. First world problems. :).

^^^
That's pretty bizarre what's going on for you in Canada. Have you tried other dealers, even ones that are 200+ miles away? Are they incompetent? If they're all like that, that strikes me as weird that Nissan wouldn't be interested in selling Leafs in Canada.

I'm sure I can just pick a '19 Leaf Plus off the lot here in the Nor Cal at most Leaf-certified Nissan dealers.

Meanwhile 2020 Bolts are available here and pretty cheap in the US (e.g. https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18907&p=576412#p576412).

The price increase on the 2020 Leafs vs. '19 is absurd.

Those in California don't realize how much the availability of compliance cars and CARB credits for every BEV sold there result in more inventory to choose from at local dealers. Manufacturers like GM and Nissan prefer to sell BEVs in CA to get CARB credits to offset sales of their SUVs and trucks. Tesla likes to sell cars in CA so they can sell their CARB credits to other manufacturers.

cwerdna said:
^^^
That's pretty bizarre what's going on for you in Canada. Have you tried other dealers, even ones that are 200+ miles away? Are they incompetent? If they're all like that, that strikes me as weird that Nissan wouldn't be interested in selling Leafs in Canada.

I'm sure I can just pick a '19 Leaf Plus off the lot here in the Nor Cal at most Leaf-certified Nissan dealers.

Meanwhile 2020 Bolts are available here and pretty cheap in the US (e.g. https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18907&p=576412#p576412).

The price increase on the 2020 Leafs vs. '19 is absurd.

Our dealer sold a ton of leafs last year but only a few pluses. They are a good leaf dealer and have a service department that was built around the EV evolution. I know there are a couple 2019 pluses available in other provinces and I think one in BC. Not the right colour though.

We consider this a first world problem and not too exited about it. It is interesting to observe though. We’ll know more by tomorrow night as our rep is calling us tomorrow. He’s been great. Our druthers are still the leaf but we went and looked at a model three once more yesterday. It’ll work. Nice car. I’ll miss my heated steering wheel though. :).

I found it, thanks.

The era of knight rider is coming.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEM-3rD6uUeqjjWliXQu-yMMqGQgEKhAIACoHCAowqoP5CjDpz-ACMJ_YtAU?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

GerryAZ said:
Those in California don't realize how much the availability of compliance cars and CARB credits for every BEV sold there result in more inventory to choose from at local dealers. Manufacturers like GM and Nissan prefer to sell BEVs in CA to get CARB credits to offset sales of their SUVs and trucks. Tesla likes to sell cars in CA so they can sell their CARB credits to other manufacturers.
Nissan sells a lot of LEAFs in Washington state, for zero CARB credits.
GM sells a lot of Bolts here as well.
Fair number of Tesla's as well.
It's the compliance only cars we lack. Fiats. Hondas. Fuel cells. Assorted others.

salyavin said:
That's what we said when the K car came out ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIpfUuRg1VE

YES, but as I recall, the talking car was very low tech. I believe that the talking car was done by using mini plastic record players. Just like the talking "pull-string toys" of generations past...

Sorry if I missed it in the thread. Aside from extra airbags, what is the difference for the 2020 sl plus?

I saw the sv plus with propilot will now include the 360 view.

I saw extra standard features on the lower models.

Is there any change to propilot assist for 2020?

Local dealers in the Chicago area are discounting the 2019 models, but not as much as I've seen others mention on the forums. It looked like there was a 2020 available in a lower trim at one dealership, so I'm guessing they are starting to switch to 2020. I'm trying to decide if it will be worth waiting for the 2020, or just see how good of a deal I can find on the 2019. Im looking at the sl plus.

I was looking through the 2020 build and price and noticed a bunch of changes versus my 2018 SV.

The surround camera appears to be part of the tech package for the SV and SV plus, while the 360 shield (which is different than the surround camera?) appears to be standard.

3 USB ports including a USB C.

Standard 8" screen in all models.

Emergency Reverse braking along with Reverse sonar (wish my SV had this!)

Driver awareness system, whatever that is.

New color choice of Crazy Orange or whatever its called. I like it.

There might be more but the brochure on the website is still the 2019.
Prices have increased too.

That settles it, then. I'm turning in my ultra low-mileage SL and getting a SV with Tech in 2021. I may actually have had something to do with the Around View getting added to the SV Tech Package, so I may was well get one.

While a small feature, that with the nose cam are the things that have made me double think having the SV vs the SL.

I had kind of hoped they would have tweaked up the range a few miles in 2020. I feel like Nissan has lost it’s spirit a bit.

And they need to show an over the air update of meaning. They need to abandon the old business model.

So now we can think about what will be in the 2021.

I would like to think Nissan would almost have to add more range to one or both of the models to keep up with companies like Hyundai and Kia and Tesla and Ford? (But one would have thought they would have added thermal management by now too...)

I think the 2020 Hyundai is out (?) and the range remains the same, but its range was already close to 260 miles. The Kia Niro eV has been delayed and remains unclear to me if it is getting the same 2020 mid cycle refresh as the regular and hybrid Niro. I actually wouldn't be shocked if Kia did not update the 2020 E-Niro. If you can get one, its still one of the best reviewed, and they might carry the 2019 through one more year.

Honestly aside from range and a bit of a small screen in the high end models, the 2020 Leaf got a number of updates. I was thinking a 10" screen in the high end models since it had been announced the bottom models would get the 8".... but apparently nope.

I guess we now need a new thread for 2021!

For what it’s worth the liquid cooling would hold zero attraction for us in our climate.

Japan gets a 9 inch display this year. I would think we’ll see that next year.

Our journey to a new 2020 Nissan Leaf is over although we will be keeping our 2016 SV. Great car. Our BC dealer let us know that there was no hope in getting a 2020 in the configuration and colour we wanted in time for our deadline. He refunded our deposit and we are moving on. They are a good dealer (and sales guy) and I would not hesitate to go back to them when it’s time to replace my 2016. I am still a huge leaf fan. My wife not so much now. We started to look into finding one from another dealer and then she read that the Nissan CEO implied that women were too stupid and feeble to be able to charge an electric car. She is a retired career soldier technician that is kinda handy in a bar fight. It didn’t go over well.

Sooooo

My wife’s new daily driver will be a 2020 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD Red with white interior and 19 inch sport rims. It will also be our road trip car. We are selling her smart electric.

webeleafowners said:
Sooooo

My wife’s new daily driver will be a 2020 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD Red with white interior and 19 inch sport rims. It will also be our road trip car. We are selling her smart electric.

Nice!

Seems like several people here have gotten model 3's. I think if it was in my price range I'd go for the model Y though. Or X! LOL

For what its worth, I have found a couple 2020's for sale in the greater LA area to my south, but not much variety yet. Or color choices. I think they were all grey-ish. I hate grey it seems like everyone is selling fifty shades of grey. (LOL!) Yeah if only... Nissan sells the car that whips YOU! But seriously black and fives shades of grey and white.... I got white because I'm in the desert otherwise that new orange color would be interesting. Something with color.

Back