has anyone actually paid for an out of warranty battery replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just quoted a total price for replacing my 24kWh battery at the dealership location where I originally leased (and subsequently purchased): $6366.

Nissan of Chattanooga East (was Hunt Nissan) in TN. (I don't know if there is anything about my car that requires any less expensive parts/labor than other Leafs).

Be sure to get that in righting.
Saw on the fb a while back a person was complaining about how they were quoted $5,500 to $6,000 and it ended up being over 8,000 once the work was done.

I went ahead and bought the pack: I prepaid the parts: $4588.98 for 295B0-9RB9E + misc assembly parts including disconnect switch=$4935.76.
Add $500.55 in sales tax=$5436.31. The remaining labor (?) cost ~$930, I think, will be paid when I take the car in (and out same day).

LeftieBiker said:
I'm wondering if they are still building 24kwh packs as needed, or using older new packs.
My understanding is that they build a pack from an old (recycled) shell and new cells. I don't know whether you get a new BMS/contactor box/harness/etc; I suspect not. You have to surrender your old shell, for the process to continue.

Edit: at least in one case in Australia, now several years ago, they the replacement cells were new but old (probably canary) chemistry. The replacement pack degraded at a similar rate to the original 2012 pack. I would hope that they don't manufacture the horrible chemistry cells any more, so you get better cells than original, but I don't know.

Edit 4: http://ozleaf.proboards.com/post/15648/thread . Per email, the owner has not lost his second capacity bar yet, with 9,000 more km (5,600 mi, 15% more) on the clock compared to when the first battery dropped its second capacity bar, so maybe it's the Wolf chemistry.
http://ozleaf.proboards.com/post/15996/thread

Edit 3: that was for a warranty replacement pack, but I assume it's the same for non-warranty.

MikeD said:
Yes, for 2011 Leaf SL w/ 7 bars remaining and ~73,000 miles.

Mike will you let us know when you get the new pack installed and how you came out on the deal?

mmmike: Yes.
One curious thing was it seemed that I could have kept the old battery pack for $1000 (core charge).

While searching for what the parts were that I paid for, I noticed for the first time that the Battery Pack seems to now be available at all the online Nissan Leaf parts stores for mid $4000, and all with a $1000 core charge (i.e. you can keep the original battery at that cost). At one place that pack was identified as for a 2017 MY (24 kWh) Leaf.

Perhaps this is "old news" -- but it is new to me.
It appears that new 24kWh, 30kWh, and 40kWh battery packs are now available for purchase at some online parts outlets (like www.nissanpartsdeal.com (to name one) w/ the following info):

24kWh w/o CW: 295B0-9RB9E $4739.82
24kWh w/ CW: 295B0-9RB9D $4739.82
30kWh w/o CW: 295B0-4NP9A $9555.40
30kWh w/ CW: 295B0-4NP9B $9555.40
40kWh : 295B0-5SA9B $11,231.00 ($10,640.00 @ TASCAParts.com)
All seem to have a fixed $1000 core charge.

I couldn't locate any 62kWh battery packs for sale.

Cold weather? (battery heater?)

Looks like at least 1 part number has changed/is diffrent vs. page 19 of https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/126060/NTB14-059c. I wonder if there's a newer revision than c?

Batteries have been listed in online catalogs before, however you couldn't just buy one and have it delivered by UPS or freight for that matter. Only dealer could order one for you on a concrete replacement work order. Maybe it all changed since then, dunno.

cwerdna said:
Cold weather? (battery heater?)

Looks like at least 1 part number has changed/is diffrent vs. page 19 of https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/126060/NTB14-059c. I wonder if there's a newer revision than c?

I thought of that, but a 30kwh pack without a battery heater...?

powersurge: The 2011-2012 24kWh Leafs require some extra parts that the later 24kWh Leafs don't (for which my dealership charged me ~$350 -- probably cheaper buying these directly?) . But the $4588.98 for the battery pack itself seems to be a competitive price. I will soon have some labor (etc?) charges after the install is done.

So if you absolutely, positively want a "12 bar" battery pack, you could buy one of these and then pay someone to replace your old pack (and get $1000 back if you return the old pack)?
Sounds like an option to retrofit a 40kWhr pack into an old Leaf with the Muxsan "converter"...without having to deal with finding a "salvage".

I'm wondering if that $1000 core charge will bring down the cost of salvage packs. Isn't the going rate for a used pack about $2500 now?

Back