TSLA corporate outlook

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LTLFTcomposite said:
Predicting the future never sounds sane. Could be a world like smartphones where you have Apple and a bunch of others building hardware to some reference design and loading some other "big" OS/software.
Suppose Apple phones only worked with the Apple network, and didn't allow roaming access... Who would every buy a phone that ran on the mostly non-existent public network?

IEVS:
Tesla Adjusts Supercharging Cost To Include Vehicle Use While Charging
https://insideevs.com/news/392775/tesla-adjusts-supercharger-billing/

Perhaps too many people are cranking up the AC, gaming, and watching Netflix while they fill up?

Most Tesla owners will be quick to tell you they really appreciate their car's features, like video games, Netflix, etc., especially since they can use them to pass the time while charging. One would think that Tesla was adding the car's electricity use to the owner's Supercharging bill. However, apparently that wasn't the case in the past, though it seems it will be going forward. . . .

According to an internal message sent to Tesla employees:

• The calculation used to bill for Supercharging has been updated. Owners will also be billed for kWhs consumed by the car going toward the HVAC system, battery heater, and other HV loads during the session. Previously, owners were only billed for the energy used to charge the battery during the charging session.

Owners may see a noticeable increase in billed kWh if they are using energy-consuming features while charging, e.g., air conditioning, heating etc. This is more likely in extreme climates and could be a 10-25 kWh difference from what a customer experienced previously

I'm surprised they weren't doing it before - kWh are kWh.

Also IEVS:
Production Of Tesla Semi Set To Kick Off In Second Half Of 2020
https://insideevs.com/news/392762/tesla-semi-production-h2-q3-2020/

It will reportedly be a limited production run. . . .

This information comes courtesy of a purported leaked email sent by the manufacturer to Semi reservation holders.

The email states that Tesla is still hard at work testing the Semi, both at its Fremont facility, as well as in harsher climates where prototypes are being subjected to cold weather testing and low traction conditions. . . .

Initially, Tesla wanted to start Semi production in 2019, but it has been pushed back due to unspecified reasons. Our take is that the company is working on improving the specifications of the vehicle, especially its range - it was initially announced that two versions would go on sale, with ranges of 300 and 500 miles respectively.

Back in 2017, Musk stated that they could already achieve the 500-mile range claim, even without battery tech improvements. He specifically said he expects the final production-spec Semi to exceed 500 miles on a single charge and we have good reason to believe this is one of the reasons the start of production has been pushed back.

There’s also no charging infrastructure for it in place yet - the Semi will have battery packs whose capacity may even exceed 800 kWh, so even charging it at a Supercharger would take too long, and it would detract from the electric truck’s cost-effectiveness. Tesla has begun work on its so-called Megacharger, which will utilize a special liquid-cooled connector that is capable of withstanding the higher current transfer rates needed to make the Semi viable.

Back when the Tesla Semi was unveiled, Elon Musk announced that the truck could gain as much as 400 miles of range in just 30 minutes. . . .

GRA said:
Owners may see a noticeable increase in billed kWh if they are using energy-consuming features while charging, e.g., air conditioning, heating etc. This is more likely in extreme climates and could be a 10-25 kWh difference from what a customer experienced previously.

How does one manage to "spend" 25kWh during a supercharging session? Firing plasma weapons? Playing with a Tokamak?

WetEV said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Predicting the future never sounds sane. Could be a world like smartphones where you have Apple and a bunch of others building hardware to some reference design and loading some other "big" OS/software.
Suppose Apple phones only worked with the Apple network, and didn't allow roaming access... Who would every buy a phone that ran on the mostly non-existent public network?
Except in this case it's the Apples (Teslas) that have the infrastructure and the Android (Frankenplugs) with no place to plug in.

Analogies are rarely perfect. It's ironic in this case to invoke Apple since they're the one with the nonstandard charging plug, something the EU is trying to exert pressure over.

Nubo said:
GRA said:
Owners may see a noticeable increase in billed kWh if they are using energy-consuming features while charging, e.g., air conditioning, heating etc. This is more likely in extreme climates and could be a 10-25 kWh difference from what a customer experienced previously.

How does one manage to "spend" 25kWh during a supercharging session? Firing plasma weapons? Playing with a Tokamak?

Even 10kwh seems extreme. A 5kw heater running full bore will be half that in a one hour session. In my experience the stops are 15-30 min in most cases. I've never had to stop for an hour but then my pack is the smallest. Even so I can't imagine pulling 10kwh even if it were freezing cold and I ran the heater full time filling a 100kwh pack.

palmermd said:
Nubo said:

Even 10kwh seems extreme. A 5kw heater running full bore will be half that in a one hour session. In my experience the stops are 15-30 min in most cases. I've never had to stop for an hour but then my pack is the smallest. Even so I can't imagine pulling 10kwh even if it were freezing cold and I ran the heater full time filling a 100kwh pack.

I suppose if the heaters (interior and pack) were running full bore, and you were also using a lot of energy running the infotainment system it might be possible, but it does seem rather high. I have no idea what the speakers/displays pull - anyone?

Reuters:
U.S. will look at sudden acceleration complaints involving 500,000 Tesla vehicles
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...robe-into-500000-tesla-vehicles-idUSKBN1ZG1IL

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said Friday it will review a petition asking the agency to formally investigate and recall 500,000 Tesla Inc vehicles over sudden unintended acceleration reports.

The petition covers 2012 through 2019 model year Tesla Model S, 2016 through 2019 Tesla Model X, and 2018 through 2019 Tesla Model 3 vehicles, the agency said. The petition cites “127 consumer complaints to NHTSA involving 123 unique vehicles. The reports include 110 crashes and 52 injuries,” the agency added. . . .

Last week, NHTSA said it was probing the Dec. 29 crash of a Tesla Model 3 that left a passenger dead after the vehicle collided with a parked fire truck in Indiana.

The crash is the 14th involving Tesla that NHTSA’s special crash investigation program has taken up in which it suspects the company’s so-called Autopilot or other advanced driver assistance system was in use.

On Feb. 25, the National Transportation Safety Board will meet to determine the probable cause of the 2018 fatal crash of a Tesla Model X in Mountain View, California. The driver was using Autopilot at the time of the crash.

I suspect most of these will be human error like most of the Toyota/Audi "Unintended acceleration" crashes, but we'll see. This is the first I've heard of a fatal crash into a stopped fire truck, presumably another case where A/P/AEB can't recognize a stopped vehicle as a real target.

GRA said:
Reuters:
U.S. will look at sudden acceleration complaints involving 500,000 Tesla vehicles
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...robe-into-500000-tesla-vehicles-idUSKBN1ZG1IL

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said Friday it will review a petition asking the agency to formally investigate and recall 500,000 Tesla Inc vehicles over sudden unintended acceleration reports.

The petition covers 2012 through 2019 model year Tesla Model S, 2016 through 2019 Tesla Model X, and 2018 through 2019 Tesla Model 3 vehicles, the agency said. The petition cites “127 consumer complaints to NHTSA involving 123 unique vehicles. The reports include 110 crashes and 52 injuries,” the agency added. . . .

Last week, NHTSA said it was probing the Dec. 29 crash of a Tesla Model 3 that left a passenger dead after the vehicle collided with a parked fire truck in Indiana.

The crash is the 14th involving Tesla that NHTSA’s special crash investigation program has taken up in which it suspects the company’s so-called Autopilot or other advanced driver assistance system was in use.

On Feb. 25, the National Transportation Safety Board will meet to determine the probable cause of the 2018 fatal crash of a Tesla Model X in Mountain View, California. The driver was using Autopilot at the time of the crash.

I suspect most of these will be human error like most of the Toyota/Audi "Unintended acceleration" crashes, but we'll see. This is the first I've heard of a fatal crash into a stopped fire truck, presumably another case where A/P/AEB can't recognize a stopped vehicle as a real target.

No, people who mix up the pedals like on an ICE and those that are not paying attention. No way I would ever hit a stopped anything even if AP was on and ignored it, This is pure foolishness and it's proven over and over again. Own a Tesla and you will understand why these idiots hit things, negligence on their part. Every single fool that drives through a wall or their house, in the car or not is just passing blame. Good thing for car logs.

EVDRIVER said:
GRA said:
Reuters:

No, people who mix up the pedals like on an ICE and those that are not paying attention. No way I would ever hit a stopped anything even if AP was on and ignored it, This is pure foolishness and it's proven over and over again. Own a Tesla and you will understand why these idiots hit things, negligence on their part. Every single fool that drives through a wall or their house, in the car or not is just passing blame. Good thing for car logs.

Except that A/P has been on for many of these rear-end crashes, and according to NTSB, NHTSA and Tesla themselves AP/AEB can't recognize a stopped vehicle in this situation, as it classifies it as a non-target. This isn't just a Tesla issue, none of the other companies' systems recognize them either, to avoid false positives from signs above/next to the roadway that would cause constant braking. Until such time as they can do recognize and correctly classify them (reliably) it will remain a serious problem.

GRA said:
EVDRIVER said:
GRA said:
Reuters: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...robe-into-500000-tesla-vehicles-idUSKBN1ZG1IL

Except that A/P has been on for many of these rear-end crashes, and according to NTSB, NHTSA and Tesla themselves AP/AEB can't recognize a stopped vehicle in this situation, as it classifies it as a non-target. This isn't just a Tesla issue, none of the other companies' systems recognize them either, to avoid false positives from signs above/next to the roadway that would cause constant braking. Until such time as they can do recognize and correctly classify them (reliably) it will remain a serious problem.

Stupid irresponsible drivers abuse it as well. Use some common sense I have yet to see one single Tesla accident that does not reek of driver fault. Also do you really have to ask how much power a screen in a Tesla would use as if it impacts the total load at an SC? It's clear to me how bad information spreads, these parasitic power claims are blown way out of proportion. Buy an EV and try and refrain from perpetuating nonsense there is already plenty of click bait all over.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Kleenex effect
https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2020-01-17/ev-sales-fizzle

Another poorly written article . Few charging stations? Perhaps for legacy car makers. Prius Prime best selling EV? I was not aware a hybrid is an EV and one with range anxiety. The list goes on. The media is a big part of the issue with adoption, between the FUD, poor research and generalizations.

EVDRIVER said:
GRA said:
EVDRIVER said:

Stupid irresponsible drivers abuse it as well. Use some common sense I have yet to see one single Tesla accident that does not reek of driver fault.

Of course there's driver error, the error being that people will depend on A/P to handle the situation despite being told not to do so. 50 years of research shows that's how humans behave, so designing a system that relies on them behaving differently is dumb (and IMO criminal), and should be outlawed until such time as the system can handle the job without human intervention.

EVDRIVER said:
Also do you really have to ask how much power a screen in a Tesla would use as if it impacts the total load at an SC? It's clear to me how bad information spreads, these parasitic power claims are blown way out of proportion. Buy an EV and try and refrain from perpetuating nonsense there is already plenty of click bait all over.

If I want to know the correct answer, of course I have to ask. Would you prefer that I just make up a number out of the air? If you know the answer, do tell. I don't claim to be up on the power requirements of current displays, nor do I know what kind of other housekeeping draws Tesla might have going on.

It's pointless to even ask as there is no way all the entire systems combined except the heater and AC are going to make any difference and that's the point you missed. Did you expect the screen to draw 2kW? Common sense.

jlv said:
GRA said:
Reuters:
The petition was submitted by a Tesla shorter.
https://cleantechnica.com/2020/01/19/that-nhtsa-tesla-sudden-unintended-acceleration-petition-created-by-a-tsla-short-seller-who-doesnt-own-a-tesla/

What a surprise!
Time for the SEC to be notified.

jlv said:
GRA said:
Reuters:
The petition was submitted by a Tesla shorter.
https://cleantechnica.com/2020/01/19/that-nhtsa-tesla-sudden-unintended-acceleration-petition-created-by-a-tsla-short-seller-who-doesnt-own-a-tesla/

What a surprise!

I wonder when the SEC will do their job and look at some of insane activity some of these shorts engage in, and I don't mean stuff like this FUD.

EVDRIVER said:
It's pointless to even ask as there is no way all the entire systems combined except the heater and AC are going to make any difference and that's the point you missed. Did you expect the screen to draw 2kW? Common sense.

No, but along with the sound system? That's where the biggest power drain (aside from HVAC/battery heating) is likely to be while charging. Any info on the audio/amp draw?

Back