2019 lease vs 2015/16 purchase in SF Bay Area CA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinaCA

Our family has one car right now a 2016 cmax energi (PI hybrid). We are thinking of getting a second car and it would likely be a leaf - we last owned a 2012 leaf S on 3 year lease and loved that car.

Currently we have access to the following rebates used/new:

Local air $750/$1000
State $0/$2500 but currently depleted (we are not low income according to CA) should be able to collect at some point though
Utility $800/$800

We see regularly 2016 leaf’s for around $11-12k.

What’s the current breakdown on residuals and cost of ownership for lease with rebates vs used?

What is the "Local air $750/$1000" rebate? I am considering leasing a new Leaf - I am not aware of this rebate. Could you provide he link to rebate site?

I believe she is referring to the rebate from Monterey Bay Air Resources District but you have to be a resident of either Santa Cruz, Monterey or San Benito County to qualify for it.
https://www.mbard.org/monterey-bay-electric-vehicle-incentive-program

tinaCA said:
Our family has one car right now a 2016 cmax energi (PI hybrid). We are thinking of getting a second car and it would likely be a leaf - we last owned a 2012 leaf S on 3 year lease and loved that car.

Local air $750/$1000
State $0/$2500 but currently depleted (we are not low income according to CA) should be able to collect at some point though
Utility $800/$800

What’s the current breakdown on residuals and cost of ownership for lease with rebates vs used?
Lease the Leaf. Until Nissan definitively fixes battery degradation problems, leasing is the better option. Buying a 2016 30 KWH used is asking for trouble unless you can live with reduced range and eventual battery replacement. Leasing a 2019 gives you either a 40 or 60 KWH battery and if the battery holds up you can buy out the the residual. If the battery doesn't seem to hold up then after 3 years it's Nissan's problem.

johnlocke said:
tinaCA said:

Local air $750/$1000
Utility $800/$800

Lease the Leaf. Until Nissan definitively fixes battery degradation problems, leasing is the better option. Buying a 2016 30 KWH used is asking for trouble unless you can live with reduced range and eventual battery replacement. Leasing a 2019 gives you either a 40 or 60 KWH battery and if the battery holds up you can buy out the the residual. If the battery doesn't seem to hold up then after 3 years it's Nissan's problem.

Agreed. When buying an EV, the cost isn't the primary factor to consider - it's the overall satisfaction with ownership, along with cost. Leasing and then buying will cost more, but it's insurance: if the car doesn't work out, or is degrading quickly, you aren't stuck with it - and in that case your cost becomes lower than if you bought it for less and then had to sell or trade it.

Back