The 40KWH Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what its worth, the tool A Better route Planner seems to concur with my data - it has me leaving my house as 100% (72 mph max) and arriving at my dealer with 15% That is with the standard 5% battery degradation. If I bump that to 9%, which is what leafspy says for my SOH loss, I am down to an estimated 11% arrival.

So my real world matches the Route Planner really well.

EDIT:
As an interesting comparison, going from my house to mammoth has ~ 8900 feet of up and 3300 feet of down in a one way trip up to the town. Real wold around here is not flat.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Well, my 2019 SV plus still consistently reads over 250 at full in the dead of Winter, so that puts me at -16% degradation on the Tesla scale.

Only have to average in the low 4's to hit that. I do that easily with less than efficient driving. No heat, minimal defrost but definitely higher than legal speeds as much as possible. Finished the work rush so life is soon back to normal so I finally have a chance to do some "optional" driving.

keep tires at 44psi. That's key, especially in low and medium speed driving. The car rolls really well.

On the highway, stay with a pack of cars or trucks (not tailgating, 3 bars of distance). It gives you a few extra tenths of a mile per kWh.

Since I'm using it as an in town car, obsessing over tire pressure to get a few more miles just is not worth the effort. We get temperature swings here in excess of 50 degrees in a day night cycle, so the tires are never going to have one desired pressure anyway. As my rare freeway trip matched the route planner then I must be fairly average driver anyway.

My prediction is the tires will outlast how long I keep the car. At my current usage I'll hit about 5500 miles a year.

That said I bumped them up to about 40. But I'm not going to obsess over it. I'm more interested in simply having a personal baseline so I can see if I notice battery degradation on those rare trips.

webeleafowners said:
LeftieBiker said:
All of the all season tires are labeled "M&S" - it's a bad joke. Tires don't vary by region AFAIK, but OEM tires on cars are often of lower quality than the same brand and model tire sold as aftermarket. The Ecopias on older Leafs and the Continentals on older Toyotas (and newer ones, for all I know) are prime examples of down-rated OEM tires.

Hey Leftie. What do the new Epluses come with?

My 2019 SL+ came with the same 215/50 R17 Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires as my 2015 SL. I consider the ones that came on the 2015 to be the worst radial tires I have owned, but the 2019 versions seem to have a bit better traction (wet and dry) and may last a little longer.

GerryAZ said:
webeleafowners said:
LeftieBiker said:
All of the all season tires are labeled "M&S" - it's a bad joke. Tires don't vary by region AFAIK, but OEM tires on cars are often of lower quality than the same brand and model tire sold as aftermarket. The Ecopias on older Leafs and the Continentals on older Toyotas (and newer ones, for all I know) are prime examples of down-rated OEM tires.

Hey Leftie. What do the new Epluses come with?

My 2019 SL+ came with the same 215/50 R17 Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires as my 2015 SL. I consider the ones that came on the 2015 to be the worst radial tires I have owned, but the 2019 versions seem to have a bit better traction (wet and dry) and may last a little longer.

What do you not like about them. And what pressure do you run them at.

Never been a fan of Michelin tires and find the stock tires ride rough and are a little noisy.
Also, yes they're M&S rated but haven't met the testing requirements of a snow flake
endorsed tire. I'll be swapping out the Michelins on our 2019 SL this coming summer
to tires that are snow flake rated, Y speed rated with a max. inflation pressure of 50 p.s.i..

DaveinOlyWA said:
Other than the usual minor year to year changes, Nissan hasn't changed tire options since the S trim was introduced in 2013

The 2013 Leafs came with down-rated Ecopia tires. Somewhere around 2015 they switched to the Energy Saver tires discussed above. I'd say that this represented a "change"...

goldbrick said:
My 2017 S came with the crappy down-rated Ecopia tires.

AKA "Ecrapia" tires. I replaced mine after a year and sold them. The very inexpensive Goodyear Eagle LS tires that replaced them felt like performance tires in comparison.

Anyways back on topic here...what is the highest mileage 2018 MY anyone here has observed? Anyone hit 80,000 miles? I believe i recall seeing a couple reported at 40,000 miles+ without any degradation past 88/89 pct SOH so far...

jdcbomb said:
Anyways back on topic here...what is the highest mileage 2018 MY anyone here has observed? Anyone hit 80,000 miles? I believe i recall seeing a couple reported at 40,000 miles+ without any degradation past 88/89 pct SOH so far...

One FBer has over 60,000 miles and SOH is just under 91%. This was a while ago. I will have to check to see what his recent numbers are

salyavin said:
I think mileage is less important than climate, how you charge it, and time.

And it seems lately there is no concensus on best practices other than limiting extremes. We fast charge our 2016 SV half a dozen times a year, keep the charge between 40 and 80 percent. Once a month charge to 100 percent. Mostly charge on 240 at either 12 amps or 27 amps depending where I park Occasionally hit 7 temp bars but mostly 5 to 6. We don’t have Leaf Spy. I have no idea on our battery health but I don’t think our range has changed much over the years. I and our neighbours seem to have similar results with our similarly aged leafs. Meh. Think I’ll just keep doing what I am doing. The car is freakin bulletproof.

If these data points are correct with quite a few 2nd gen LEAFs reaching 40K-60K-80K miles then it would appear that the chemistry of the 18+ MY units is even better than the 15 MY (which was regarded one of the best). I know there have been 15 MY units that have reached 100K+ with no bars lost but that does not appear common. We certainly need more reports to truly observe if this is true.

Fact is I have not seen a single photo posted of the battery bars showing any missing on any 2nd gen unit..doesn't mean there are not any...just I would have expected to see many by now from different hot locales.

DaveinOlyWA said:
jdcbomb said:

One FBer has over 60,000 miles and SOH is just under 91%. This was a while ago. I will have to check to see what his recent numbers are

jdcbomb said:
If these data points are correct with quite a few 2nd gen LEAFs reaching 40K-60K-80K miles then it would appear that the chemistry of the 18+ MY units is even better than the 15 MY (which was regarded one of the best). I know there have been 15 MY units that have reached 100K+ with no bars lost but that does not appear common. We certainly need more reports to truly observe if this is true.

Fact is I have not seen a single photo posted of the battery bars showing any missing on any 2nd gen unit..doesn't mean there are not any...just I would have expected to see many by now from different hot locales.

DaveinOlyWA said:
jdcbomb said:

Well, part of that is simply the car is still quite new approaching two years on the road. The other part is simply cycling a bigger pack. That first bar might still be 15% (since none have left, we can only speculate) but represents a bigger chunk of kwh's.

The next 6 months will be the telling factor;

We see bars dropping so the degradation slowdown I and others saw after a 7-9% loss was temporary.

We don't see bars dropping except in extreme cases (Phoenix, etc.) which means we see what happens by next year

No one loses a bar because they all bought Tesla's. :roll:

I would say I wish I had more time with my 40 but... I DON'T!! :cool:

Hi all, just joined forum and starting using LeafSpyPro 2 weeks ago. Live in Northern New Jersey.
2018 SL
Manufacture date 8/18, Purchase 10/18
14,712 miles

Battery Stats
SOH 94.47
AHr 109.045
Hx 109.11

Update on 2/9/20, sudden drop in SOH
Between 1/02/20 and 2/07/20 SOH dropped from 94.48 to 94.43 at a linear rate. I have never QC’d, only level 2 at home. Temperatures for month mild for northern NJ winter avg 30s-40s. Car kept in garage overnight.

Between 2/07 and 2/09 over the course of 3 short 10 mile weekend trips dropped as follows:
2/07 - 94.43
2/08 - 94.36
2/08 - 94.29
2/07 - 94.15
Definitely odd drop. Stable outdoor temperature and no change in driving or charging habits? Makes you wonder about a forced correction algorithm in the BMS?

Back