Discuss Tire Registration function of Battery App

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turbo3 said:
The TPMS in each wheel talk to the Leaf not the Android or iOS device. The wheels talk to the Leaf and Leaf Spy and Leaf Stat read the data from the Leaf.

You stated that Leaf Spy can pick up the low pressure on the rear wheels and flags a problem which to me means Leaf Spy is displaying each wheel's PSI value. Then you state that Leaf Stat also displays each wheel's PSI value. From this you then draw the conclusion that iPad can receive wheel transmissions and android devices can not. That does not make any sense. You just said that both Leaf Spy and Leaf Stat displayed PSI values so they both are capable of displaying data from the wheels. What am I miss here?
OK, I misunderstood what Leaf Spy was doing.
You're saying it's only reporting what the Leaf tells it, not collecting any data itself.

My Leaf dashboard has a graphic which can show which wheel has an inflation pressure problem. This is what I see when I drop the pressures to set up Leaf Spy - the Leaf's own display is showing the two rear tyres as under-inflated, which they are. Leaf Spy itself never reports anything - the display is fixed on zeroes for every wheel, however far I drive. Having started the Tire Reg process, nothing changes at all on the screen, and the process never finishes, however far I drive. However Leaf Stat on the iPad does display plausible tyre pressures. Going through the TPMS Reset routine on the Leaf doesn't improve things. Using a WiFi rather than a Bluetooth dongle doesn't improve things.

I am using a good quality handheld pressure gauge to set up the tyres for the tyre registration procedure. How close to 35/32/29/26 psi do I have to get? I'd have thought the spacing was more important than the actual value.

bryand,

When I click on your picture links, it says that I do not have permission to view the albums. You'll have to make them publically-accessible.

Forget the tire registration process for now. Let's first try to figure out if Leaf Spy is able to read the current pressures. Look at the main Leaf Spy display. Does *that* show tire pressures? Or does it show "n/a" like this:
images

If you see temperatures in that box instead of PSI, I believe tapping on that part of the screen will change it to show tire pressures.

bryand said:
Turbo3 said:
The TPMS in each wheel talk to the Leaf not the Android or iOS device. The wheels talk to the Leaf and Leaf Spy and Leaf Stat read the data from the Leaf.

You stated that Leaf Spy can pick up the low pressure on the rear wheels and flags a problem which to me means Leaf Spy is displaying each wheel's PSI value. Then you state that Leaf Stat also displays each wheel's PSI value. From this you then draw the conclusion that iPad can receive wheel transmissions and android devices can not. That does not make any sense. You just said that both Leaf Spy and Leaf Stat displayed PSI values so they both are capable of displaying data from the wheels. What am I miss here?
OK, I misunderstood what Leaf Spy was doing.
You're saying it's only reporting what the Leaf tells it, not collecting any data itself.

My Leaf dashboard has a graphic which can show which wheel has an inflation pressure problem. This is what I see when I drop the pressures to set up Leaf Spy - the Leaf's own display is showing the two rear tyres as under-inflated, which they are. Leaf Spy itself never reports anything - the display is fixed on zeroes for every wheel, however far I drive. Having started the Tire Reg process, nothing changes at all on the screen, and the process never finishes, however far I drive. However Leaf Stat on the iPad does display plausible tyre pressures. Going through the TPMS Reset routine on the Leaf doesn't improve things. Using a WiFi rather than a Bluetooth dongle doesn't improve things.

I am using a good quality handheld pressure gauge to set up the tyres for the tyre registration procedure. How close to 35/32/29/26 psi do I have to get? I'd have thought the spacing was more important than the actual value.
First, I have never heard of a Nissan Leaf dash having a separate warning indicator for each of the four tires. That means you have four tire warning lights instead of just one. For this to work the TPMS system would need a way to automatically detect the correct location of each tire after they have been rotated or the indication would be invalid the first time someone rotated their own tires. Up to this point the Leaf's dash has had only a single warning light.

If your Leaf does have an "Auto Registration" feature it would make sense that Nissan would drop the manual one that Leaf Spy Pro is trying to use. If this is true it is possible that the Leaf is now ignoring the command Leaf Spy Pro is sending to initiate a manual tire registration as well as never setting the status bit that indicates the registration has completed. This would explain why after you start the registration it never completes.

Garsh has the right idea. We first need to know if Leaf Spy is displaying the four tire pressures on screen four.

It would also help me understand what is going on if you could take an ELM trace and send it to me at the email address listed on the About screen.

Go to the bottom of the Leaf Spy settings menu and check the "Trace ELM (on restart)" check box. Then exit and restart the app and take a short drive (5 minutes will do). Then send me the TRC_xxxxx.txt file you find on the SD card in folder LEAF_BT_CAN/DEBUG_FILES.

A trace of you actually trying the tire registration would also help but that is more work (setting up the different pressures).

With the Leaf moving, when you go to the tire registration screen it should show you the six digit hexadecimal registration number for each of the four tires. A value of all zeros for each would indicate the tires are not register or the Leaf does not support manually registering the tires.

Thanks guys, the photos should now be world-viewable.
LeafSpy is displaying "n/a" instead of numeric values, and the setup screen is displaying all zeroes.
One of my pics shows the dashboard graphic, which sounds like it may be new, or Europe-specific.
I'll try to generate an ELM trace.

bryand said:
Thanks guys, the photos should now be world-viewable.
LeafSpy is displaying "n/a" instead of numeric values, and the setup screen is displaying all zeroes.
One of my pics shows the dashboard graphic, which sounds like it may be new, or Europe-specific.
I'll try to generate an ELM trace.
Still can not view. It now says I will be notified when you approve may request to view.

The fact that you can not see the tire pressures on Leaf Spy is a good indication that things have changed and tire registration is most likely not going to work.

Leaf Spy requests the tire pressures from the Leaf. Leaf Stat just looks at the CAN bus for a message frame that I discovered also has the tire pressures.

I might look into also using that same message if Nissan has dropped or changed the way to request PSI from the Leaf

Pics should now be OK.
I'll still generate an ELM trace, out of curiosity - and I'll not use Google again for pics!
We live and learn.
Merry Xmas!

Just a quick note to say that I was able to register the TPMS modules in my winter wheels. I'll be doing this twice every year. Thanks for the great app Turbo!

There is a bug in Tire Registration if you try to start Registration while in Park.

Until I release the next version of LeafSpy Pro with the fix please take the Leaf out of Park and wait 30-60 seconds before pressing the Start Tire Registration process.

To be clear, you don't start the Tire Registration process until the Leaf has been driven at least 300 feet to be sure the TPMS units in each wheel are awake and transmitting their IDs. If the TPMS units are not awake and transmitting their IDs there is no point in starting the Tire Registration process. I will try to enforce this in the next release by not enabling the START button until LeafSpy detects the Leaf is in motion.

bryand said:
I'm using LeafSpy Pro v0.35.39 with a Nexus 7 tablet on my 2014 UK-built Leaf.
Most of LeafSpy works fine, but the tyre registration is completely dead - the setup page just shows a string of zeros for every wheel and the calibration is never flagged as complete. This suggests that the tablet isn't receiving anything from the sensors.
However, when I adjust the tyre pressures for LeafSpy's calibration procedure, the Leaf picks up the low pressures on the rear wheels and flags a problem, so the wheels seem to be doing their thing OK.
Also, when I use Leaf Stat on an iPad Air using a WiFi dongle, I get a numeric value for each tyre pressure. So it seems the iPad can receive the wheel's transmissions, but the Android devices can't, whether using a Bluetooth or a WiFi dongle (I have tried 2 other Android devices - same result).
I think European TPMS sensors work on a different frequency to US ones - is that the problem?.
Is there a workround for the problem?
For new UK Leafs Nissan has changed tire registration to make it controllable from the dash and they now display which tire is low on the dash car graphic.

When they did this Nissan dropped support for the way LeafSpy does tire registration since it is no longer needed. They also dropped support for the way LeafSpy reads the tire pressures.

Those with new UK Leafs will need to go to the Settings/Tire Pressure panel and select "Use alternate method to read tires" to get tire pressures readings to be displayed by LeafSpy. You still need to be driving the Leaf to wake up the TPMS units for the pressures to be sent and displayed.

Ideally, measurements of tire pressure would be both precise and accurate.
accuracy-vs-precision.jpg

In reality, I get the impression that TPMS sensors are fairly precise, but not very accurate. Furthermore, different TPMS sensors appear to be differently inaccurate. I can carefully fill each tire, check the pressure of each tire with the same tire gauge, confirm that it shows them all as exactly the same, but when I start Leaf Spy each tire will show different pressures, with differences approaching 2psi.

The OCD in me loves trying to keep all of my tires at the same pressure. But the inaccurate TPMS sensors make this difficult.

What do you think about adding a button to Leaf Spy that can be used to calculate a scaling factor to be applied to each TPMS sensor reading so that they all report the same value? The scaling factor would be stored & used from then on until removed or reset.

garsh said:
... I can carefully fill each tire, check the pressure of each tire with the same tire gauge, confirm that it shows them all as exactly the same, but when I start Leaf Spy each tire will show different pressures, with differences approaching 2psi.
I had some difficulty the one time I used LSP tire registration process.
My gauge readings weren't quite close enough to the required values based on what TPMS was reading.

But they were not 2 psi off.

When I had Costco add nitrogen to 44 psi the other day, the TPMS readings are within 3/4 psi.

Close enough.

TimLee said:
garsh said:
... I can carefully fill each tire, check the pressure of each tire with the same tire gauge, confirm that it shows them all as exactly the same, but when I start Leaf Spy each tire will show different pressures, with differences approaching 2psi.
I had some difficulty the one time I used LSP tire registration process.
My gauge readings weren't quite close enough to the required values based on what TPMS was reading.

But they were not 2 psi off.

When I had Costco add nitrogen to 44 psi the other day, the TPMS readings are within 3/4 psi.

Close enough.
For tire registration, if your gauge is not close enough then just increase the PSI separation to 3.5 PSI. They don't have to be those exact values. Leaf is just looking for a delta difference between them. Keep the lowest value at 26 PSI and add a 3.5 PSI delta as you go around from back to front.

Something is wrong/out of spec if you have a 2 PSI difference from the TPMS reading. If it is just one tire I would say the TPMS is out of spec. If all tires are off then the gauge is the most likely source assuming the readings are right after you start driving and not 20-30 minutes later when the tires have heated up. If you have switched to a different wheel with non-factory TPMS then that might be the problem.

Turbo3 said:
Something is wrong/out of spec if you have a 2 PSI difference from the TPMS reading. If it is just one tire I would say the TPMS is out of spec. If all tires are off then the gauge is the most likely source assuming the readings are right after you start driving and not 20-30 minutes later when the tires have heated up.
Yep, before heating the tires up.

Given that the gauge is used to measure all four tires, and that it consistently shows the same reading for each tire even when I make multiple reading attempts on each tire, I don't think we can say that the gauge is at fault.

TPMS sensors simply aren't made to be that precise. Here's an example spec page which says that the accuracy is ±1PSI.
If you have switched to a different wheel with non-factory TPMS then that might be the problem.
Nope, happens with both my OEM wheels & sensors as well as the other non-OEM set I use in the summer.

I'm intentionally resurrecting a Zombie Thread to say thanks to Turbo3! I couldn't be happier to report how easy it was to register a second set of wheels/TPMS for my new / used winter set. I bought LeafSpy Pro the week I bought the Leaf for battery monitoring, and the hope of tire rotation, but this was definitely worth the $. Thanks again!

I did tried the tire registration in March 2020 and everything was fine with my summer tires.

I switched to my winter tires and haven't been able to register the tires after multiple attempts. I keep "re-adjusting" the PSI and they are within half a PSI of the correct values 26, 29, 32, 35.. They measure exactly correct but the tire gauge measure increments of 0.5psi.

I drive over 40kmh (25mph) for about 10 minutes and the button stays orange.. So frustrating that it doesn't even register one tire so I could troubleshoot....

What does the FFFFFF mean? some users are reporting 000000. My guess is one of them is a "reset" code but no documentation given making me wonder if FL=FFFFFF is a failed read or a just a cleared register waiting for a tire code? and why do some report FL=000000

Also, once I received these 3 orange boxes? Is it indicating something? Of course I can guess, I was hoping someone might know as again, there is no documentation..

Back