The 40KWH Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dala said:
My almost two year old (2020 soon :) ) 40kWh pack is sitting at 95,5% SOH, it's in a very cool climate.

And mine could be the first to break into the 80% range, at least on this forum. And I've only had it for 7 months, with low miles.

Temperature matters.

nightleaf said:
So I finally seen my first increase in SOH (that I have noticed - usually take reading one every month or two)... here are the last 3 readings

Oct 21, 2019 Kilometers/Miles; 35500/22116 Ahr; 104.6 SOH; 90.61
Nov 15, 2019 Kilometers/Miles; 37018/23062 Ahr; 104.54 SOH; 90.56
Dec 14, 2019 Kilometers/Miles; 38703/24111 Ahr; 105.07 SOH; 91.02

I had my jump in July which had also preceded my significant drop in my rate of degradation. The real data starts now. How much you lose in the next 3,6 and 12 months. I am guessing your rate will drop like mine did.

It appears so far after the earliest 18 MY were put in service that we have not seen any reports of even a single bar being lost?

jdcbomb said:
It appears so far after the earliest 18 MY were put in service that we have not seen any reports of even a single bar being lost?

Awhile back someone asked this same question and the consensus is that nobody here has lost a bar.
Somebody mentioned a Facebook post showing a bar loss but I never saw it.

I have not seen a single report of degradation loss so far on any 18-19 LEAF world-wide. The new chemistry battery has almost 4 years of real world usage which includes 2 years of testing in Arizona prior to its release.

OrientExpress said:
I have not seen a single report of degradation loss so far on any 18-19 LEAF world-wide. The new chemistry battery has almost 4 years of real world usage which includes 2 years of testing in Arizona prior to its release.

I assume you mean "bar loss" because obviously we are all suffering some amount of "degradation loss".
Mine has 9% plus or minus. Just because the first bar has not vanished doesn't mean you don't have some loss.

Oh sure, all batteries have loss over time, but what I think we are seeing is that the new designs loss profile is on par with other BEV manufacturer's batteries.

My 2018 is a year and a half old, and it still has the same range profile as when new. We quick charge exclusively these days, and the range is still between 145-175 depending on the time of year.

I'm not complaining, I knew I stood a good chance of higher degradation because of where i live. I got such a good deal on it I can live with it. But I am still hoping it will not loose the first bar before I go to trade it in in about two years, most likely for a 2021 niro ev or a VW Id4... or who knows!

The ariya looks nice but based on the rescent news, way over my budget.

The id4 could be a crossover with 300 miles of range for ... 40k? Less? TBD

danrjones said:
jdcbomb said:

Awhile back someone asked this same question and the consensus is that nobody here has lost a bar.
Somebody mentioned a Facebook post showing a bar loss but I never saw it.

I am on FB and have never seen any real post claiming a bar loss.

OrientExpress said:
Oh sure, all batteries have loss over time, but what I think we are seeing is that the new designs loss profile is on par with other BEV manufacturer's batteries.

My 2018 is a year and a half old, and it still has the same range profile as when new. We quick charge exclusively these days, and the range is still between 145-175 depending on the time of year.

What do you think your range would be at 11 bars? 130? 135? What is your range now?

I never got 150 even when it was new.

My few road trips show I get about 3.3 Mi/Kwh on the open road. That should translate into 120 miles max range but I would never take it down that far. A realistic SAFE range of the 2018 for me on freeway, leaving 20% in the "tank" would probably be around 85 ish miles.

BUT I mostly use it in town, and in town I average around 4 miles per Kwh and never need to worry about range anyway.

lorenfb said:
danrjones said:
My few road trips show I get about 3.3 Mi/Kwh on the open road.

That must be on 395 doing 75 MPH uphill from Bishop to Mammoth, right? :D

Close!

395 from where I live back to the dealer in Palmdale. So the other direction. Some terrain, maybe ~2800 feet of change. But I am not a speed demon, so I'm usually around 72.

I look forward to the day I can do my house to Mammoth in an EV, but I can't do it with the 2018 and the lack of chargers.
Once EA gets them in theoretically I could do it but it would take forever and be dependent on single point of failure chargers.

I'm hoping my next EV will be about 300 miles of range and then it should be much easier.

Back