The Expanse - formerly on SyFy, now an Amazon Original

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those who like Mars, there are other options (if you have read the books). But I don't think they will appear until the 2nd half of season 5 or season 6.

They released it at midnight UTC, so technically not early. (there was prior discussion on reddit that this was likely to happen).

Some things I was expecting (hoping to see) from from Cibola Burn (book 4 of the series) were left out, but they way they weaved in elements of Nemesis Games (book 5) and Gods of Risk (a novella) was just masterful.

I finally finished season 4. I enjoyed it. Not sure how much we should avoid spoilers at this point.

It did get renewed for season 5: https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/the-expanse-renewed-season-5-amazon-1203282087/.

I found this year's Goo tiresome, but the show is slowly improving. I really hope that "Murder-y" is gone for good (I never liked the actor and he seems determined to play Tiny Bad Guys ad infinitum) but I was just starting to like Miller, right about when he finally bowed out. ;)

Murtry does not show up again in the books.

Many people thought Cibola Burn, the book season 4 is based upon, to be the slowest paced. I liked the book, and though they did a nice job weaving the plots together. I lament some of the things they cut, however, including most of the things that happened in orbit.

Actually, only the the events on Ilus/New Terra were from that book. The other events were pulled forward from book 5 (Nemesis Games) and the novella Gods of Risk . Season 5 will cover the rest of Nemesis Games and (hopefully) the novella The Churn.

If you are up for a good ride, the audio book versions of The Expanse, narrated by Jefferson Mays, are astounding.

I never really got into audio books, but if I have to resume long trips out of state for medical treatment I'll keep that in mind. Thanks. If reading physical books weren't so uncomfortable for me now, I'd read the series.

LeftieBiker said:
If reading physical books weren't so uncomfortable for me now, I'd read the series.
Have you tried reading on a tablet or Kindle? They can be considerably easier to hold than a physical book and can even be put on a stand.

As for audio books: I've only used them in a car or on a plane, but my wife has started to listen to them while walking.

We have a good story from when we brought the kids (then 6-12) to Disneyworld 15 years ago. We were on the drive back - 22 hours spread over 2 days. We'd left Orlando at 6AM and were on the way to our hotel in VA. By mid afternoon we were 7 hours into an audiobook that we were all listening to out loud. We told the kids we'd be at the hotel in an hour... but there was still 3 hours left in the audiobook. The kids all said they didn't want to stop yet, as they needed to hear the rest of the story. So we called the hotel chain and moved to a hotel 60 miles further away, as we really didn't think they kids could hold out for 3 more hours. We were wrong; an hour later we called the hotel again and moved to a even further hotel, in MD. Just before we got to the hotel the audiobook finished, and we started the next day one state closer to home.

(IIRC, the audiobook was Hatchet)

Have you tried reading on a tablet or Kindle? They can be considerably easier to hold than a physical book and can even be put on a stand.

I did a little reading on my 10" Chinese tablet before I retired, but the experience wasn't really that great.

LeftieBiker said:
I never really got into audio books, but if I have to resume long trips out of state for medical treatment I'll keep that in mind. Thanks. If reading physical books weren't so uncomfortable for me now, I'd read the series.

I've had more audiobooks than paper books the last several years. It's pleasant if you get a good narrator, and you can listen during other activities (walking, gardening, etc...). The only drawback is listening in bed. It's nice to fall asleep to the narration, but much more difficult to find the spot where you stopped paying attention. Leads to some overlap but not that big of a problem.

Season 5 release schedule below. Not all eps will be available at once. S5:E10 (final ep of S5) drops on Feb 3, 2021.
https://screenrant.com/expanse-season-5-release-schedule-weekly-details/
https://twitter.com/ExpanseOnPrime/status/1316393333170737152?s=20

I'm happy that they are slowly releases the episodes rather than all-at-once like they did for season 4. It will make for much more interesting discussion in r/TheExpanse.

But, I'm way more stoked waiting for when Leviathan Falls comes out next year, as it's the last book in the series the show is based upon.

‘The Expanse’ Renewed For Sixth & Final Season By Amazon Ahead Of Season 5 Premiere
https://deadline.com/2020/11/the-expanse-renewed-sixth-final-season-amazon-cas-anvar-not-returning-1234621032/
EXCLUSIVE: Amazon Studios has set an end date for The Expanse. The popular sci-fi drama has received an early renewal for Season 6, which will be its last. Not returning for the final season is original cast member Cas Anvar, who faced a slew of sexual misconduct allegations during the summer. The rest of the cast, led by Steven Strait, and longtime Expanse showrunner Naren Shankar will be back.

For those who aren't normally subscribers to Amazon Prime and have a Chase Freedom card, you might have an offer like I do.
Amazon Prime
$5 back
Added
7 days left 12/22/2020
Offer Details

Earn $5 back when you join Amazon Prime for $12.99 or more. Start watching Prime Video today.

As a Prime member, you can watch Amazon Originals like The Boys and Borat Subsequent Moviefilm, popular TV, movies, sports, and more—all at no extra cost. Watch Prime Video at home or on the go with practically any device.

Offer expires 12/22/2020. Must make first payment by 1/21/2021. Payment must be made directly with the merchant. Offer not valid on Prime Student memberships. Offer not valid on video rentals or purchases. Prime Video is available to Prime members. Learn more. Offer valid one time only.
I plan to join few a few months on/around 12/16/20 when the 1st 3 eps of Expanse S5 are dropped.

Do you know if the show returns at or around midnight this morning, or if it happens during prime time? I'm semi-bedridden at the moment, but I may be up in a few hours.

^^^
Beats me. You could try look for replies at https://twitter.com/ExpanseOnPrime/status/1316393333170737152?s=20 or tweeting them with your question.

Back