2013 pricing

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PotRoastMan said:
So I drove the 2016 SL and it is nice, I want it. It was on the quick charger when I arrived, and maybe 50% full. The turtle was on the whole time, and the car said it was due to low temperature. It has been below zero Fahrenheit for the last two days, and at the moment it is around 5 degrees. Is this expected, or a red flag?

I found the owners manual does say the turtle can come on when the battery is -4 F and it has been that cold the last two days. It is warmer now, but probably the battery did not get warmer today. The car seemed to drive normally nonetheless.
Something just doesn't sound right. I've never had turtle come on due to cold and if the battery was at 50% the battery heater should have come on regardless and kept the battery warm. The only exception could have been if the battery was left in a very low SOC(not good for the battery) but currently at 50% you'd think it should have warmed up.....
Now I suppose the battery could have been sitting around in sub-zero temps with a low SOC battery and got really cold deep down and it just didn't have enough time to warm up, that I don't know. It's also possible the battery heater is bad, which would NOT be good for a Leaf in MN, it would really have been good to know what the SOC was before they hooked it up to the QC, if it were more than 20%?? I might expect a bad battery which would be extremely rare(I've never read about here on MNL) but truthfully more than 1/2 the Leafs on the road could have a bad battery heater and we'd never know about it due to the fact it only comes on during extreme low temps and most people just don't experience that.
Today it's a balmy 13F so if you drive it again there is no way it should be in turtle if it's temperature related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz2WzLQ2tqg (he is a user here) shows 0 temp bars and OAT below 0 F but no turtle. This is on an '11 or '12 Leaf.

No report of turtle at these crazy high battery temps: https://web.archive.org/web/20170717073322/http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=22134.

I looked in the 2011 owners manual, and it has the same statement about low temps. But leaf spy clearly shows that battery was 11 degrees, even though air temp was lower than that. The battery would have to be -4 before this occurs. I know you are all much more experience than I am, but I am still hopeful that this is normal, due to the super cold weather that was Tuesday and Wednesday.

I will drive it again before buying today. Today is 10 degrees, and warming to 20. If the turtle is still on today, I will have to tell them something isn't right, and walk away. And I have their return policy as insurance.

How would I know if it has a battery warmer or not? Sounds like that should be standard on all if I read other posts correctly. The battery temp was at 2 bars last night. It is concerning but the manual says this is the situation, and the car even said it was cold. So at least according to the documentation, it is doing what it is supposed to do (and all of you are worried about it being too hot!! :D )

The car was normal today, so it must have been related to the weak charge and the cold. I bought it! I have been debating this for almost 5 years, it's about time...

I think turtle mode can activate if some individual cells are low charge, possibly some were before they started charging and the cold triggers the fail safe turtle mode to reduce power. Regular use will make that go away once some cell balancing takes place during a full charge. Also, bought the 2016 or 2013? :?

It is the 2016 with 40,000 miles, SL with premium package, and black. I found it locally, one that I had passed over previously for some reason. It's on the l1 charger but so far so good, the cells look evenly balanced so far and about 80% SOH. we'll see what it looks like tomorrow morning I suppose.

I am sure it is a combination of a short quick charge, low battery, as well as the extreme cold. But it appears all good today.

PotRoastMan said:
It is the 2016 with 40,000 miles, SL with premium package, and black. I found it locally, one that I had passed over previously for some reason. It's on the l1 charger but so far so good, the cells look evenly balanced so far and about 80% SOH. we'll see what it looks like tomorrow morning I suppose.

I am sure it is a combination of a short quick charge, low battery, as well as the extreme cold. But it appears all good today.
Is this your first Leaf to drive or already owned the earlier (pre-2013) model?

Yeah, you can probably bump that SOH up another +5% if you have regular QC access and an opportunity to run the battery completely down gently and immediately charge up after total discharge. At least it will help the BCM get a better reading on true battery capacity if the vehicle has been sitting on the lot for months.

This is my first leaf. I've considered it several times over the years, driven them, made offers, etc.. But never pulled the trigger until now. Thanks for the SOH tip... that would be nice!

PotRoastMan said:
How would I know if it has a battery warmer or not? Sounds like that should be standard on all if I read other posts correctly. The battery temp was at 2 bars last night. It is concerning but the manual says this is the situation, and the car even said it was cold. So at least according to the documentation, it is doing what it is supposed to do (and all of you are worried about it being too hot!! :D )
Only early?? '11 models lacked the battery warmer, all later Leafs including yours had it standard. Hopefully it was just a quirk of being left in a low SOC and low temps. I can imagine this happens somewhat frequently on lots where the Leaf isn't being driven all that often and temps are below zero. Yes living in MN I never worry about the battery being too hot, too cold is a thing though ;)

Back