Using a Tesla Wall Connector and adaptor?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drbrake

I am thinking about buying a 2011 Leaf at least to "tide me over" until there is a good supply of used Model 3s to be had (or other, better cars). Since I am renting I would probably want to get a L2 charger I just plug in, so I can take it with me when I leave, and I would like to have something that could charge at a faster rate when I had a more powerful car. I noticed that the Tesla Wall Connector for a NEMA 14-50 plug seems to be cheaper than equivalent third party L2 chargers and could be plugged in (at least when it is available - it seems not to be at the moment). Anyway, would it make sense to just get one and an adaptor? Has anyone tried that?

The most electrical code compliant way to plug a lower power charger into a 14-50 is to put a 14-50 plug on your little portable charger, if it doesn't have one.

drbrake said:
I am thinking about buying a 2011 Leaf at least to "tide me over" until there is a good supply of used Model 3s to be had (or other, better cars). Since I am renting I would probably want to get a L2 charger I just plug in, so I can take it with me when I leave, and I would like to have something that could charge at a faster rate when I had a more powerful car. I noticed that the Tesla Wall Connector for a NEMA 14-50 plug seems to be cheaper than equivalent third party L2 chargers and could be plugged in (at least when it is available - it seems not to be at the moment). Anyway, would it make sense to just get one and an adaptor? Has anyone tried that?
So if I understand you correctly you want to purchase a Tesla EVSE(and in the future a Tesla) but you want to use that EVSE now for a Leaf you plan on purchasing? Yes you can purchase Telsa to J1772 converters(everyone except Tesla uses J1772) but even if you could get a Tesla EVSE cheaper than a J1772 EVSE(doubtable but it sounds like you've found one) but as the Tesla to J1772 converters are quite expensive(even more expensive than just purchasing a cheaper j1772 EVSE) it wouldn't be your cheapest option.
Your cheapest option would be to purchase a cheaper portable(plug-in) J1772 EVSE for around $300 which could then be used for a Tesla with the Tesla to J1772 adapter cable that comes with every Tesla. Not sure where your looking for EVSEs but I've found Amazon to be a great place with many under $300 for the 32 amp models, even a few 40a models for not much more than $300.
Is that what you were asking?

jjeff said:
...J1772 adapter cable that comes with every Tesla.

Sadly this is no longer the case. My Model 3 did come with the J1772 adapter but Tesla no longer includes that with the vehicle. It is still available for purchase from Tesla at $95. They also have a huge CHAdeMO adapter for an eye-popping $450. Check out: https://www.tesla.com/ns_videos/com...ODEL_S/CHARGING_ADAPTERS/1036392-10-C_alt.jpg

In my case, I use the AeroVironment L2 EVSE that I bought with my 2012 LEAF in early 2012. My Model 3 purchased in 07/18 did come with the adapter and I’ve used the AV unit for charging both vehicles. Works very well for both. Even though my Model 3 could charge at up to 48amps with the Tesla EVSE, the 30-32amps I get from the AV unit is more than adequate. Now, if I get a Y or a Cybertrk to replace my LEAF, it’ll be time to get the Tesla EVSE.

By the way, for $500 the Tesla EVSE, officially called the “Tesla Wall Connector,” is an amazing piece of equipment able to deliver a continuous load between 12 and up to 80 amps on proper circuitry. That’s a boatload of current. And they can be daisy-chained together if you need more than one of them and they do the load management automatically. For all the gory details: https://www.tesla.com/sites/defaul...nstallation_manual_80A_en_US.pdf?201612081439

jjeff said:
drbrake said:
So if I understand you correctly you want to purchase a Tesla EVSE(and in the future a Tesla) but you want to use that EVSE now for a Leaf you plan on purchasing? Yes you can purchase Telsa to J1772 converters(everyone except Tesla uses J1772) but even if you could get a Tesla EVSE cheaper than a J1772 EVSE(doubtable but it sounds like you've found one) but as the Tesla to J1772 converters are quite expensive(even more expensive than just purchasing a cheaper j1772 EVSE) it wouldn't be your cheapest option.
Your cheapest option would be to purchase a cheaper portable(plug-in) J1772 EVSE for around $300 which could then be used for a Tesla with the Tesla to J1772 adapter cable that comes with every Tesla. Not sure where your looking for EVSEs but I've found Amazon to be a great place with many under $300 for the 32 amp models, even a few 40a models for not much more than $300.
Is that what you were asking?

Be careful with some of the cheap EVSAs found on Amazon. Some of them aren't UL Listed (or equivalent). As it says in a brochure by UL on Electric Vehicle Charging Systems: "UL Listed EV charging systems have been investigated to a comprehensive set of construction and performance requirements designed to reduce the risk of fire, shock and personal injury."

While an unlisted EVSA may be safe, considering you are leaving your vehicle plugged in, untended for many hours, I wouldn't want to take the risk.

We got our Tesla Model 3 on Dec 30, 2019, and it did indeed come with a J1772 adapter. I'm pretty sure they all do.

Note that this adapter converts a J1772 plug to a Tesla plug, not the other way around. That is, I had a ClipperCreek charging station for our LEAF. The adapter converted that plug to the Tesla plug so that I could plug it into our new Tesla.

There may be some confusion above. Tesla has a UMC that allows you to plug directly into standard wall outlets (120V, 240V etc) with an adapter. That is not the case with a LEAF.

I'm probably going to sell my ClipperCreek LCS-20P now that I no longer use it.

As usual, drbrake, new member disappeared.

It makes no sense to buy a charger for the Tesla "you are going to buy".

Buy what you need today and tomorrow worry about tomorrow... SCRATCH THAT... The poster is still "thinking about buying a Leaf"..

Translation -- we will never see him again..

Tesla, if you have to think about it, as in figuring out how you are going to pay for it just buy a leaf.

Back