Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
powersurge said:
coleafrado said:
$9k for a 2015 is easily 30% too high.

I can't see where you are getting that opinion from? You can realistically expect to get that car for $6300???? I don't think so..

KBB says $9k private party, so maybe you're right.

https://www.kbb.com/nissan/leaf/2015/sl-hatchback-4d/?vehicleid=400494&intent=trade-in-sell&mileage=40000&pricetype=trade-in&condition=good&options=6530861|true

But don't forget that new 40kWh 2018s can be had in several states for under $15k all-in. The 2015 has half the usable battery capacity, lower horsepower, and less time remaining on the warranty.

powersurge said:
coleafrado said:
$9k for a 2015 is easily 30% too high.

I can't see where you are getting that opinion from? You can realistically expect to get that car for $6300???? I don't think so..

Market rates vary widely area to area. In states with larger incentives, I can see it.

Hgreg didn't want to move a single dollar so I wished them good luck selling the car and moved on. Although EV's are exempt from most tariffs where I live, they aren't from all so I had a real incentive to keep the price as low as possible. Found a Tesla trade-in at a reasonable distance for only 4k. Yes, it did loose 6 bars but that is enough to cover the Island where I'm currently living on and this summer the car will get the Mux treatment :D

Wish there were more posts on buying experiences, but I guess the forum reflects society: no buying happening.

I was originally in the market for a used under $10k, but when I realized I could buy new, more range, no mileage and no hidden issues for around $20k (with $7500 rebate), I refocused only new.

As for new: April has $3k Nissan rebates on 2020 and $3500 on 2019. Dealers are doing about $4k on top of that (for 2019s at least). Will May bring even more deals? It seems like a crazy time to buy with things the way they are, and further reductions almost certain at a time when nobody is driving, and 20% of people may not even have a job to drive TO.

When I bought my 2017 the new price was several thousand less than the locally available used prices, at least for an S trim model.

Now I'm thinking of buying a used 2013 for $5k and putting in a 40kWh battery for another ($6k?) but as you mentioned, new prices are not that much more and then you get a new car, newer tech, a warranty, etc, etc. The car would be for my folks and I'm not 100% sure they want one even though they really liked mine and asked about how much it would cost to buy one. I suppose I could give them my 2017 and keep the 2013 for myself but I don't really have time for a project like that at the moment.

My friend bought a 2016 in 2017 for about $16k, and with the $7500 credit ended up under $10K! Years later I was searching craigslist and couldn’t find the same 2016 for under $12k, and that’s with 50k miles on it and 4 years of time (and depreciation). I’m kicking myself for not taking that 2016 deal With him, and looking to come as close as I can now on a 2019.

looking at my first leaf and have tried 3 dealers. Best price so far is 36k out the door on a 2019 sv plus with tech package. This is with no fed or state incentives figured in. does this sound like a solid deal?

@Weston479: What does in your out of door price include? Sales tax (%?), etc? Otherwise, not sure how to read the quote correctly.

Michael

NonSequitur said:
It’s not a bad deal for today, but demand has crashed, and better prices will be ahead, if you can hold in there.

Not sure what the future holds.

FED is pumping out money, M2 is up $3T mostly in the past two months, the production of lots of things has halted, so significant inflation seems a possibility. More money chasing fewer goods. Not 2% inflation, but 20% or more. Wall Street is doing very well just for this reason, stocks are better with inflation than bonds. Interest rates are staying low as the FED is buying bonds, including junk bond EFTs.

On the other hand, a lot of people are much poorer than they were a year ago. So demand for all but luxury goods might collapse.

Which effect is larger isn't clear. The future is going to be very interesting... and that's not a good thing.

I suggest taking the deal today might be better than waiting. But it is you, not me, rolling the dice. The deal in six months might be far better, or far worse.

WetEV said:
FED is pumping out money, M2 is up $3T mostly in the past two months, the production of lots of things has halted, so significant inflation seems a possibility. More money chasing fewer goods. Not 2% inflation, but 20% or more. Wall Street is doing very well just for this reason, stocks are better with inflation than bonds. Interest rates are staying low as the FED is buying bonds, including junk bond EFTs.

A reminder for those that didn't take nor understand simple macro-economics! All the "free money" initially sounds great to many, right?

Inflation requires people to actually spend the money to purchase things. If this is a repeat of 2008, things like the stock market and house prices will inflate much more than everyday goods. All that money the FED is creating is not distributed equally and the well-off spend a much smaller % of their income and assets than others. The big inflation of the 1970's saw a lot of increase in the average worker's salary to try to keep up, which of course, makes everything more expensive. Until the average working wage starts going up, I don't think inflation is going to happen.

goldbrick said:
Until the average working wage starts going up, I don't think inflation is going to happen.

Checked food prices lately? Given the scarcity of items, e.g. meat, can goods, etc., many consumers really couldn't care less about prices,
they'll just buy it, i.e. within reason, based on perceived present & future needs. The big sources, e.g. Amazon, Costco, Krogers, & Walmart,
dominate now with better access to suppliers. A great example are the paper products. Seen any on the shelves lately? Given that, they
can easily raise those prices, and other scarce products.

The Seventies also produced "StagFlation, in which there was inflation during a recession with high unemployment. We are quite possibly looking at that happening again.

goldbrick said:
Inflation requires people to actually spend the money to purchase things. If this is a repeat of 2008, things like the stock market and house prices will inflate much more than everyday goods.

Much of the money supply increase in 2008 was balanced by a falling velocity of money. We could have that again, as well.

Dr Doom is predicting food riots soon, and a "Greater Depression" with high unemployment and inflation.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/05/why-the-economy-is-headed-for-a-post-coronavirus-depression-nouriel-roubini.html

I don't know if this is common, but zucchini was $13.79/lb today. Crazy. Didn't buy any.

Not much left to impact. I think Q1 sales were like 1300.

Nissan needs to go to a fixed price model (with lower starting point). Remaining 2019 S+ models can be had for low 20's right now before any additional negotiations, post federal rebate.

Doug: a 2019 S+ for low $20s after the $7500, meaning about $29000 before the rebate? Not sure about that - I haven’t found any. I don’t even look at the plus because I’m bottom fishing for a 2019 and content with the lower range model. The person who revived this thread wrote that the best he found was a 2019 SV+ for $36, and the best I had found was a 2019 SV (no plus) for $31,600 (before $7500), and neither of those are low $20s. Mid $20s maybe, but tell me if I’m missing a deal somewhere.

As for price approaching Tesla, not really, because of the $7500 (Nissan still has it, Tesla does not). If Tesla still had the rebate I’d absolutely buy another, but without it they start at $38, so out the door maybe $45? Compared to the aforementioned mid-20s for the leaf, so twice the price. Again, correct me if I’m wrong, but that’s why I’m even considering a leaf and not a second Tesla 3, which I LOVE (best car ever!)

Back