Rivian R1T and R1S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eye of the beholder and all, but the proportions look off to me (bed's too short for the body), and I don't care for the upward angle of the body line - the top of the tail looks too high compared to the rest of the truck, or maybe it's just the absolutely vertical rear end of the cab. As long as it works well, the looks are secondary.

LeftieBiker said:
From the side it looks like what a 21st century Jeep should look like - not unattractive.
I agree, I have no issue with the side profile(although I didn't care for the Ridgeline) but really don't like the headlights....what is it with headlights and EVs! The bug-eye headlights was major design flaw I had with the earlier Leafs, not enough to keep me from getting one but not liked none the less. I'm not so sure I could overlook the goofy headlight design of the Rivians though :?

LeftieBiker said:
Just as well you don't like the looks. It doesn't have both a sun and moon roof. :lol:

As I have no need for a pickup it's irrelevant to me in any case, but you can bet any pickup I'd consider would have to have at least a 7 foot bed. I could live without a crew or even a king cab, but cargo area length is non-negotiable. Looks are distinctly secondary; I can live with an ugly vehicle as long as it fits my needs.

ABG:
Rivian starts its push for direct sales in Colorado
The Colorado state Senate could vote this week on a bill to allow it to build Rivian stores
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/24/rivian-direct-sales-colorado-lobbying/

. . . We’ve known all along that Rivian’s plan was to follow the likes of Tesla and adopt a direct sales model, bypassing the need to establish a costly and time-consuming nationwide dealer network. Now the company is putting the pedal to the metal: Automotive News reports (subscription required) that Rivian is lobbying state lawmakers in Colorado, who could vote as soon as this week on a bill to open up its dealer-franchise law by allowing any electric vehicle company to sell directly to consumers.

The legislation, Senate Bill 20-167, would make an exemption to existing dealer franchise law by allowing electric vehicle manufacturers to operate its own stores. The bill last week passed out of a Senate committee by a 3-2 vote. An amendment since added would prevent traditional automakers from opening a store next to their franchised dealers.

Colorado has previously opened up direct sales to only Tesla, which opened its first store in the state in Boulder in 2009 and now operates four in the state. “I am of the opinion that we should have that option available to any EV manufacturer,” Chris Hansen, a Denver Democrat who cosponsored the bill, told the Colorado Sun. “Right now, Tesla has that ability, and I don’t see any reason why there shouldn’t be market access for any other manufacturer.”

The bill reportedly enjoys bipartisan support including Democratic Gov. Jared Polis and organizations like the Colorado Energy Office. But the Colorado Automobile Dealers Association says it would open the door to direct sales by any automaker that happens to sell an EV and herald competition between automakers and dealers. What’s more, it claims that existing state law already allows manufacturers to operate their own dealerships if they don't already have any dealers selling their products in the state. . . .

RIvian’s chief lobbyist has reportedly said the company has received a dealer license in Arizona and is seeking licenses in Illinois, Massachusetts, California and Florida.

If the experience of Tesla is anything to go by, this is likely just the start of what could be a long road for Rivian to build its own stores in states that offer a patchwork of different laws governing dealerships and the sale of automobiles. The company has previously said it will try to find partners who can sell in markets like Texas, which bars direct sales but offers a vast market of truck and off-road enthusiasts as potential customers.

Tesla sues Rivian for allegedly stealing secrets, poaching employees
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/23/tesla-sues-rivian-for-allegedly-stealing-secrets-poaching-employees.html

GCR:
Rivian electric trucks:
R1T and R1S delayed to summer 2021

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...ric-trucks-r1t-and-r1s-delayed-to-summer-2021

Electric truckmaker Rivian announced Friday that its pilot production line has started up at the company’s factory in Normal, Illinois.

With a precise perspective on what needs to be done between that and the trucks’ arrival, Rivian reported that deliveries of its R1T electric pickup and R1S electric SUV will start in June 2021 for the R1T and August 2021 for the R1S.

That's a delay of approximately six months from when they were originally due. The announcement and timeline aren’t particularly surprising; in an April update Rivian announced that the trucks’ launch schedule would be adjusted due to the pandemic and its effects on readying its factory. . . .

With the delay, Rivian’s lead on the electric-truck market could shrink. GM claims that it’s been fast-tracking its electric-vehicle programs in the pandemic slowdown and it’s planning to deliver its GMC Hummer EV in fall 2021, and a Chevrolet truck is expected to follow in 2022. Ford has announced that its F-150 Electric will arrive in 2022. And the Tesla Cybertruck is slated for a production start in late 2021—in Texas.

Other contenders from the startup corner include Ohio-based Lordstown Motors, which will deliver its Lordstown Endurance electric truck oriented toward fleet use starting in late summer 2021. Among a group of other upstarts, Nikola Motors also claims to be on the development path with the Badger, an electric truck powered from a battery pack and a hydrogen fuel-cell stack.

Someone I work with has a R1T order and were told to expect delivery Fall 2021. They just got the email mentioned in electrek's article.
This week at our plant in Normal, IL, the work of thousands of Rivian team members comes together as our pilot production line begins running. This important milestone brings us another step closer to our full production launch. It also allows us to more precisely estimate delivery timing. R1T deliveries will begin June 2021. R1S deliveries will begin August 2021. Keeping our team safe while making progress has been our top priority over these past few months. We look forward to sharing more updates soon, including details on key vehicle features, the date you’ll be able to configure your R1T or R1S, as well as our plans for our charging network. Thank you for your excitement and support for what we are building.
– Team Rivian

My wife and I really like the look of the R1S but it is just too expensive when the higher range variant is estimated. Unless they end up dropping prices by a lot, it will be priced in the true luxury segment, and that's just not affordable for me. Nice though.

There is also still some "TBD" regarding charging network.

https://insideevs.com/news/443587/video-rivian-r1t-pre-production-begins/ has a video that was released Sept 10th. Article is ttiled "Rivian R1T Electric Pickup Trucks Are Slowly Rolling Off The Production Line". The vehicles are definitely pre-production.

In today's Blue Origin New Shepard launch, I noticed a Rivian R1S being used as the crew delivery vehicle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGl8MRJheiA?t=4590

And a number of R1T being used as the recovery vehicles:
https://www.thedrive.com/news/41620/electric-rivian-r1s-recovers-jeff-bezos-from-the-blue-origin-pod
message-editor%2F1626791031388-rivianblueinline.jpg

dmacarthur said:
I notice that the hood is up on one of them- wonder why that would be?

It's a huge frunk - 11 cu. ft.
(and it's powered for open and close)

https://images.rivian.com/2md5qhoeajym/5Mh2c3D0nuJQXoq3BMFqvy/a9c0fae06f347a54c31ca530616b5d12/r1t_utility_storage_desktop.jpg?fm=webP
r1t_utility_storage_desktop.jpg

Back