Bye bye, Leaf....Going to take a bath!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the Bolt is an amazing vehicle. If I could start fresh, I would get a Bolt.... If you watch Youtube, there is a whole series of videos where they take apart an entire Bolt. and analyze it. The quality of that car in all systems is remarkable.. Search on: "Weber University" or "Weber Auto"

LeftieBiker said:
Except the seats.

^^^ I second this. Unacceptable padding / comfort and I'm only of average height and fairly slim. Disappointed the 2020 version didn't make any improvements from this aspect.

GM did a very good job on Bolt batteries. A couple news threads say the 2020 bolt has energy density on par with the Tesla 3 now. We tried a Bolt before getting a Plus. The seating , rear cargo, and drive style are what pushed us in to a new Leaf.

Here in the Midwest there are no Kona’s Niro’s E-Golfs or other costal cars, so your choices are Bolt, Leaf, or 3. Bolt and Leaf after all the discounts were still much cheaper then the 3.

I saw Tesla now has the e-pedal equivalent. Little by little they are adding every little feature from the other cars that people have been positively commenting about.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I saw Tesla now has the e-pedal equivalent. Little by little they are adding every little feature from the other cars that people have been positively commenting about.
And, by and large, they are adding these new features to cars already sold and in customers hands.

The navigation, heat pump, tax credit, and overall look inside and outside are what pushed us to the Leaf Plus instead of the Bolt (that "shock" color was tempting though :shock: ). We live in moderate temperature NW Washington (state) which is ideal for a heat pump and air cooled battery life.

For us it was the 10K price difference, seating position, and prior (positive) experience with the earlier Leaf (2013). Here in the more northern climates, the battery declines (post 2012) were not too bad. Only regret was actually trading in the 2013 vs. keeping it for a 3rd car so we didn't ever need to drive the minivan.

DougWantsALeaf said:
For us it was the 10K price difference, seating position, and prior (positive) experience with the earlier Leaf (2013). Here in the more northern climates, the battery declines (post 2012) were not too bad. Only regret was actually trading in the 2013 vs. keeping it for a 3rd car so we didn't ever need to drive the minivan.

I think that ... If you can keep a Leaf Long term and not sell it.... That car is going to be worth money in the future. Trading in such a high tech vehicle for a few thousand is a bad decision. So many people keep such old, rusted junk cars from the 60s and 70s... I think that the Leaf will, in the future be one of 2 things... 1) Battery prices and the ability to upgrade from old batteries will be super cheap and practical, which will mean new life to the car.. or 2) The car will be a collectors item for its historical and electrical capabilities.. Like some people go crazy over VW Bugs...

Let's hope so.

The 2013 Leaf was super cheap. My lease was $190 a month, and some years was given comped payments. Then was heavily discounted when we bought it off of lease. Including payments, I don't think TCO was even $20K. Minus the trade in, it was 14K, so 2,300 a year felt like a reasonable cost considering we saved over $1,500 in gas a year, $85 in annual registration, and $100 in oil changes. It really almost felt Free.

The new Leaf doesn't feel free yet, but it was 50% more expensive, and all up front.

powersurge said:
I think that ... If you can keep a Leaf Long term and not sell it....

That's my plan and would be 3) on your list. For some owners, a Leaf will be a useful value for the indefinite future, unless crashed. I'd still drive my Leaf even if it degraded 50% from its current state. At the present rate of degradation, that point will be long after I'm no longer driving ;)

But I agree about selling them cheap. I'm kicking myself for not buying a Leaf that sold locally for $2500. Unless it was flooded or crashed or something that was a steal, regardless of the SOH of the battery.

powersurge said:
1) Battery prices and the ability to upgrade from old batteries will be super cheap and practical, which will mean new life to the car..

This is still one of the reasons I originally bought my Leaf...and am holding out hope that it will become reality (in the US) before my second (free) battery pack degrades significantly (it's doing much better than the first).

DougWantsALeaf said:
Let's hope so.

The new Leaf doesn't feel free yet, but it was 50% more expensive, and all up front.

You are funny!!! Yes, the NEW Leaf does not feel "Free" yet... Because it is $10-15K more than our "old" Leafs. That takes away the original allure of the Leaf... Being a ridiculously affordable way to have an EV...

Back