extension to charge at stations with a fixed cable with type 2 connector

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpostma

Hi,

I have several times found myself at a type 2 charging station, with a fixed cable and a type 2 (female) socket.

My 2014 Leaf has the type 1 charge port (besides the Chademo port).
At home I have a wallbox without fixed cable, just a socket. I have a connection cable type 2 male, to type 1.

What puzzles me is that I can plug in that charge cable (type 2 male) in the socket of a fixed cable public charge station. It seems to fit mechanical, although it does lock. But it won't start to charge. I suppose something is not right.

Now, can I pujrchase someting like this?
https://evchargeplus.com/product/type2-to-type1-adapter

I do not see an apparent difference in the male type 2 connector, between this cable and my own cable. What makes it that my charge cable does not work as a type 2 to type 1 extender?

I wonder as well why these sockets are so expensive? It it still reeasonable , that a CEE caravan connector cost roughly around 10-20 dollar, where an charging adapter is hardly available as spare part and costs at least around 80 dollar.

Hopefully one of our UK or EU regulars can help with this. Here in North America (where this forum and most of its participants reside) we don't have the same cables and ports. (Unless Type 1 is J-1772?)

LeftieBiker said:
Hopefully one of our UK or EU regulars can help with this. Here in North America (where this forum and most of its participants reside) we don't have the same cables and ports. (Unless Type 1 is J-1772?)

Indeed: type 2 is the Mennekes IEC 62196-2
s_54be675c8653e.jpg

Type 1: the common "1 fase" plug that to my knowledge is used for All first gen Leafs.

s-l500.jpg

PS. I am a bit puzzeled that you state that those is only available in the EU or UK. CArs like the BMW I3 or VOlvo PHEV use this type 2 connector as well.

PS. I am a bit puzzeled that you state that those is only available in the EU or UK. CArs like the BMW i3 or VOlvo PHEV use this type 2 connector as well.

Manufacturers tend to use the most common plug for each region. A Volvo EV sold in North America will, I believe, use the SAE CCS type port and plug.

In Europe, extension cables are not allowed to be used on a Type 2-charging station. The Type 2-cables have a resistor to tell the car and the charging station how much current they can take. If you extend a Type 2-cable with another Type 2-cable, the resistance will be wrong and you will not be able to charge.

Extension cables does exist, but they are technically not legal to use.

Back