Volvo all-electric version of XC40 compact CUV.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
danrjones said:
Valdemar said:
I can definitely see this as my next EV, hopefully the EV tax credit remains until it's available.

Its suppose to be hitting dealers in 2020, so I would think the tax credit should still be there. Under 50k is a bit ambiguous

Hope you're right wrt credit, just a bit concerned with the current administration and recent stink about people getting millions in fraudulent or erroneous EV credit claims.

Valdemar said:
danrjones said:
Valdemar said:
I can definitely see this as my next EV, hopefully the EV tax credit remains until it's available.

Its suppose to be hitting dealers in 2020, so I would think the tax credit should still be there. Under 50k is a bit ambiguous

Hope you're right wrt credit, just a bit concerned with the current administration and recent stink about people getting millions in fraudulent or erroneous EV credit claims.

Ok, sorry, now I understand, I had thought you meant Volvo running out of their credit. Who knows what the current admin will or will not do. They may outlaw a blue sky as early as tomorrow.

jjeff said:
Looks more than "a cubic foot" or storage space up front :?
Why has only the lowly Leaf got the charging port location correct :? IMO front best, front fenders second best, rear fenders(sorry Telsa) worst! What do people back into parking spaces :roll: (actually I do at times but everyone else I know just drives in forward).
"Black roof" WTF! who wants a black roof(unless it's a solar cell) black is THE worst color for heat, is this a feature for the southern states where they can fry an egg on the roof :roll:
Lastly, why is everyone trying to chase Tesla or even Audi or Jaguar on the next EV, people like Chevy Equinoxes, Nissan Rogues, Toyota Highlanders, Rav4's or CRVs, let's see more mfgs. trying to chase after those very common SUVs instead of the expensive $50k+ Euro offerings. Right now Mitsubishi is the only one in that class and while I applaud their effort I'd prefer an EV/PHEV from a more mainstay(ie reliable, higher customer rated) company than Mitsubishi :)
If this Volvo were more around $40k even up to mid $40's I might be interested but truthfully I have no interest in a 400 hp :roll: 20" wheel <5 second 0-60 $50+k car. I know the article says starting under $50k but I'll believe it when I see it.......

I don't have a problem with black (I live in a place where 30°C (86°F) is a really hot day) and I have no issues with Mitsubishi, but otherwise I agree. I avoided the Outlander PHEV due to disappointing EV range and a much lower towing capacity than the ICE Outlander.

The Leaf and its competitors are great city cars, but now I want something I can take to the mountains in the winter or take on a summer camping trip with my boat. That is likely a PHEV until 200+ kWh of batteries is affordable and 200 kW charging is commonplace, but it needs to avoid the limitations of current PHEVs. I don't need a crazy amount of power (just enough to maintain 100 km/h towing 1500 kg up an 8% grade, about 200 kW total), but I want enough battery capacity to maintain that for 20 km when the ICE is only contributing about 80 kW. That means a 30 kWh battery pack (24 kWh of reserve starting at 80%). It also means the ICE needs to be able to output maximum or near maximum power at any speed, which is a problem with the voltec and outlander drivetrains in parallel mode.

Titanium48 said:
I don't have a problem with black (I live in a place where 30°C (86°F) is a really hot day) and I have no issues with Mitsubishi, but otherwise I agree. I avoided the Outlander PHEV due to disappointing EV range and a much lower towing capacity than the ICE Outlander. .....
I personally don't really have a problem with Mitsubishi, used to own a Dodge Colt(which was made by Mitsubishi) many decades ago and it was a decent reliable econobox. Auto reviewers and even CR type publications often seem to dislike Mitsubishi, stating dated designs and lower than normal reliability. I see lots of Mitsubishi's up in Canada, they seem to be much more common than in the states, not that we don't see Mitsubishis, they just aren't as common. Personally I think it's because the Canadians seem to be more value-conscious, not so worried about brand names and such :)
I'm also leaning more towards a PHEV vs an EV with a huge battery for out of town trips, I'd also like it to be able to tow something, not 5000 lbs but 2500+ would be nice and a decent 20'ish kwh battery would be nice for a 30+ mile EV only range in town, oh and as long as I'm dreaming, a smaller ICE for maximum MPG when driving long distances and not towing.
This Volvo is intriguing but for several factors probably not my next vehicle :)

Still a day later I am dissapointed. I knew the vehicle wouldn't be as efficient as a Tesla, as the body is pretty much unchanged from the standard XC40, so the range on that size pack actually makes sense, but I really expected a bigger pack - 100 kWh, with perhaps options for more.

The Rivian SUV seems like a much better deal to me, with 400 miles of range. The only thing with Rivian, and Tesla too, is that I want the high end trim's range but don't want all the goodies. They need a max range trim but without the max trim level goodies.

I still love my 2011 Leaf, but it's down to only 9 bars and a practical freeway w/AC range of around 40 miles. Since I'm retired and have no commute, that handles 95+% of my driving and my wife's Acura takes care of the rest. But the Leaf is getting long in the tooth and the first models like mine are missing some creature comforts like a decent heater. So I've been looking at some new cars, including the XC40. I test drove the PHEV model, but the electric range is too short and I don't like the dashboard setup. Part of that is due to fact it has two power plants with attendant controls. I liked the Crosstrek PHEV better, both for looks and handling, but ultimately I decided that a hybrid of any kind is not the way to go. Having two power plants is inherently inefficient, adding weight and taking away space.

I always swore I'd never drive an SUV, but I've come to think otherwise, largely out of self-defense. It's almost impossible to see in traffic from a Leaf or any sedan. I end up parking between two huge SUV's in right-angle lots and can't back out without risking a crash. The higher ground clearance is a plus, too, because the curbs where I live don't have cuts for the driveways and because I do some light off-road parking in the unfinished lots or roadside trailheads in the mountains near here. My son has an XC60 ICE and likes it a lot, so I'm keeping my eye on the BEV XC40 among other models. I don't want a big SUV, though.

I haven't heard anything from Volvo about when the car will be available, or about anything, really. They have my $1000 deposit. I probably came out ahead giving them an interest-free loan since if I had kept the money I probably would have invested it in some stocks that have tanked big time by now. There are bound to be production delays due to the pandemic, but they should put out a statement to us depositers explaining what they are doing and what to expect. I've gotten a lot of statements of that sort from all kinds of businesses. I just got word from USAA that they are crediting a rebate to us on auto insurance premiums due to the huge reduction in claims during the pandemic. The rebate will reduce future automatic payments.

Back