Greta Thunberg speech at U.N.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys, It's working! On Gallups poll where they ask "what the most important problem facing the country is" the responce
"The environment, pollution and global warming went from a consistent and solid 3% to 6% after last week's climate circus.

I take exception to a comment that I should not be taken seriously.

I may disagree with your ideas, but I will not make value judgments of YOUR opinions or the integrity of your judgment....

As I said before, I don't care what the truth is about the environmental topic under discussion. The reality of this topic is that a minor child with a disability has been promoted with a seat at the table of the UN. Her words and talking points have been provided to her by others. Her sense of anger and indignation at world leaders is inappropriate and ridiculous. The only reason is that she is at the UN is that she is a convenient mouthpiece for others.

She makes news for the cause (as a media darling), and her position cannot be criticized. That is what is wrong with this picture.

powersurge said:

I may disagree with your ideas, but I will not make value judgments of YOUR opinions or the integrity of your judgment....

As I said before, I don't care what the truth is about the environmental topic under discussion. The reality of this topic is that a minor child with a disability has been promoted with a seat at the table of the UN. Her words and talking points have been provided to her by others. Her sense of anger and indignation at world leaders is inappropriate and ridiculous. The only reason is that she is at the UN is that she is a convenient mouthpiece for others.

Isn't that the reason anyone speaks at the U.N.? She's representing a point of view for a constituency. There are many of her peers worldwide who are equally alarmed and indignant. THEY are the ones with skin in the game. Why seek to de-legitimize that?

She makes news for the cause (as a media darling), and her position cannot be criticized.

You've disproven that. So perhaps that frees us to return to caring about the truth of the environmental topic?

It's eerie - it's as if I've read almost the exact same words somewhere else recently:
Fox apologizes for 'disgraceful' comment about Thunberg
https://www.sfgate.com/entertainmen...es-for-disgraceful-comment-about-14464075.php

Fox News has apologized for a guest's "disgraceful" description of environmental activist Greta Thunberg as mentally ill but was silent Tuesday on Laura Ingraham likening her to a murderous cult of children from a Stephen King story.

The network responded swiftly to a news segment Monday where Michael Knowles of "The Daily Wire" said the 16-year-old environmentalist was a "mentally ill Swedish child who is being exploited by her parents and by the international left."

Knowles was immediately called out by a fellow guest, podcast host Chris Hahn, who said, "You're a grown man and you've attacked a child. Shame on you. . . ."

powersurge said:
Too late

As I said before, I don't care what the truth is about the environmental topic under discussion.
We have noticed, which is why you are a joke.

The reality of this topic is that a minor child with a disability has been promoted with a seat at the table of the UN.
She has earned the right to speak and be heard. Which is a lot more than can said for you.

Her words and talking points have been provided to her by others.
Prove it. And if true, tell me how that is different than your favorite politicians. Trump e.g.

Her sense of anger and indignation at world leaders is inappropriate.
Only in the sense that she is restrained. 'Psychopathic, treasonous piece of scum' would be appropriate for Trump.

LeftieBiker said:
... I do wonder if your metric will change as the non-human species populations crash in the coming decade. It's happening right now, with insects, birds, and amphibians.
What is causing this? Is it global warming or loss of habitat, pesticides, ...? It is caused by humans and no amount of reducing CO2 is going to change that.

DanCar said:
LeftieBiker said:
... I do wonder if your metric will change as the non-human species populations crash in the coming decade. It's happening right now, with insects, birds, and amphibians.
What is causing this? Is it global warming or loss of habitat, pesticides, ...? It is caused by humans and no amount of reducing CO2 is going to change that.

They are related. Restoring a healthy CO2 level not only means stopping fossil combustion, it also means restoring forests and habitats. IIRC I have read that about 1/3 of the CO2 rise is from habitat destruction. Since global warming is overwhelmingly CO2 and methane related, habitat restoration is integral to AGW mitigation.

DanCar said:
LeftieBiker said:

A lot of the die off is caused by warming habitats, not by pesticides or other human actions other than CO2 increase. A significant portion of the land habitat loss is caused by warming, instead of clearing by humans. (Ocean reefs, vast vital habitats, are also being killed by warming, along with direct damage by increasing CO2 concentrations in the seas.) Habitats that used to exist in most of the mountainous areas have shrunk upwards - they shrink until they occupy only a little land near or at the tops of some mountains, then they vanish, destroyed by warming. I suggest that you do some reading, or even watch some videos by reputable science-based environmental groups, rather than just write what sounds like a good argument to you.

LeftieBiker said:
DanCar said:
LeftieBiker said:

A lot of the die off is caused by warming habitats, not by pesticides or other human actions other than CO2 increase. A significant portion of the land habitat loss is caused by warming, instead of clearing by humans. (Ocean reefs, vast vital habitats, are also being killed by warming, along with direct damage by increasing CO2 concentrations in the seas.) Habitats that used to exist in most of the mountainous areas have shrunk upwards - they shrink until they occupy only a little land near or at the tops of some mountains, then they vanish, destroyed by warming. I suggest that you do some reading, or even watch some videos by reputable science-based environmental groups, rather than just write what sounds like a good argument to you.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habitat_destruction
Quote: Clearing habitats for agriculture is the principal cause of habitat destruction.
I suggest that you do some reading, or even watch some videos by reputable science-based environmental groups, rather than just write what sounds like a good argument to you.

From the link that you provided:

Habitat destruction is currently ranked as the primary cause of species extinction worldwide.[2] It is a process of natural environmental change that may be caused by habitat fragmentation, geological processes, climate change[1] or by human activities such as the introduction of invasive species, ecosystem nutrient depletion, and other human activities.

Emphasis added by me. I am trying to explain that the current, sudden species die-offs are being caused largely (not entirely, largely) by warming. Land clearing has been going on for centuries and the losses due to that can at least be predicted fairly well. Warming habitats are a relatively new phenomenon that isn't explained by the clearing of land. Amphibians aren't vanishing with extreme rapidity because people decided to drain all of the marshes a few years ago. Do you really believe that insect populations are crashing because our decades-long use of pesticides has suddenly started to kill vastly more of them, even in places where pesticides aren't used? But hey, think whatever you want - people always do. I just got attacked recently in another forum because I suggested that part of sustainability was reducing the number of children we produce. This tendency to blame only things over which we personally have no control, while dismissing our own contributions, is why this extremely belated effort to do something positive about AGW is going to fail, and fail miserably.

I've been thinking about this, lately, in the context of the apparent dearth of detectable civilizations in the galaxy. I wonder if almost all species that are able to advance technologically are doomed to extinction by the same instincts that allowed them to dominate their planets. I'm picturing tens of thousands of dead or barely living planets, littered with plastic and abandoned personal vehicles...

How many references do you want?
https://www.nwf.org/Educational-Resources/Wildlife-Guide/Threats-to-Wildlife/Habitat-Loss
Main Causes of Habitat Loss
Agriculture: Much of the habitat loss from agriculture was done long ago when settlers converted forests and prairies to cropland. Today, there is increasing pressure to redevelop conservation lands for high-priced food and biofuel crops.

Land conversion for development: The conversion of lands that once provided wildlife habitat to housing developments, roads, office parks, strip malls, parking lots and industrial sites continues, even during the current economic crisis.

Water development: Dams and other water diversions siphon off and disconnect waters, changing hydrology and water chemistry (when nutrients are not able to flow downstream). During the dry season, the Colorado River has little to no water in it by the time it reaches the Sea of Cortez.

Pollution: Freshwater wildlife are most impacted by pollution. Pollutants such as untreated sewage, mining waste, acid rain, fertilizers and pesticides concentrate in rivers, lakes and wetlands and eventually end up in estuaries and the food web.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QDk1c7fim8
Primary causes for species extinction world wide:
1. The food you eat
2. The land you live on
3. The roads you travel
The primary causes for species extinction worldwide.

Think whatever you like, use whatever grade school level references about past misdeeds by other people seem to you to agree with you, even when they don't. I'm done for tonight.

To all the posters here who choose to attack and smear Greta Thunberg, I give you her response
I honestly don’t understand why adults would choose to spend their time mocking and threatening teenagers and children for promoting science, when they could do something good instead. I guess they must simply feel so threatened by us

Smart girl. She is already a force to be reckoned with. I look forward to seeing Greta the adult become a world leader.

This article
https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2019/9/26/20882958/greta-thunberg-climate-change-trump-attacks-right-wing
is inspiring and insightful.

LeftieBiker said:
Think whatever you like, use whatever grade school level references about past misdeeds by other people seem to you to agree with you, even when they don't. I'm done for tonight.
Think whatever you like, use no references to believe what you want to agree with you, even when they don't.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/may/21/human-race-just-001-of-all-life-but-has-destroyed-over-80-of-wild-mammals-study
https://www.pnas.org/content/115/25/6506

Back