Amazon 100,000 vehicle order from Rivian

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveinOlyWA

https://www.teslarati.com/jeff-bezos-100k-rivian-van-amazon-order/

It remains to be seen how much this order is worth but 10 Billion is hardly out of the question when charging facilities are added.

Realize Amazon is only doing what delivery companies will be forced to do. Don't be surprised to see major urban areas creating emission charges in the very near future.

Good to have more competition in this sphere, but even if these optimistic expectations pan out, its going to be a long time before we see 100k of these and the playing field will look a lot different by then:

Amazon plans to have 10,000 of the new electric vehicles on the road as early as 2022 and all 100,000 vehicles on the road by 2030

iPlug said:
Good to have more competition in this sphere, but even if these optimistic expectations pan out, its going to be a long time before we see 100k of these and the playing field will look a lot different by then:

Amazon plans to have 10,000 of the new electric vehicles on the road as early as 2022 and all 100,000 vehicles on the road by 2030

Amazon's goal is actually much more ambitious than that. Don't be surprised to see Rivian become "Amazon EV's"

This is what Amazon does. They are smart enough to know they don't know everything. Instead, they invest in a startup, study its processes and either buys them or creates their own business in direct competition with them. This is the process that gained Amazon nearly everything they have now.

DaveinOlyWA said:
iPlug said:

Amazon's goal is actually much more ambitious than that. Don't be surprised to see Rivian become "Amazon EV's"

This is what Amazon does. They are smart enough to know they don't know everything. Instead, they invest in a startup, study its processes and either buys them or creates their own business in direct competition with them. This is the process that gained Amazon nearly everything they have now.

So I'll be able to order my R1S straight from amazon. Think I'll get free 2 day shipping as a prime member?

DaveinOlyWA said:
Amazon has already invested 700 million USD in Rivian. The OP title might as well be "Amazon decides to buy own trucks."

Not exactly surprising. I wish them tremendous success, and I hope they fuel the trucks with clean energy.

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Amazon has already invested 700 million USD in Rivian. The OP title might as well be "Amazon decides to buy own trucks."

Not exactly surprising. I wish them tremendous success, and I hope they fuel the trucks with clean energy.

It would not be a stretch to think that Amazon may become the largest private owner of Solar and Wind in the future. They are well on their way.

DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

It would not be a stretch to think that Amazon may become the largest private owner of Solar and Wind in the future. They are well on their way.
Amazon has plans to be 40% clean energy by 2024 and 100% clean by 2030. That is *exactly* the timetable that every person, business, corporation, state and nation on the Earth should be concretely planning for.

Amazon deserves credit and support for walking the talk and being a true leader. I had intended to drop my Prime membership with Amazon this year but their climate pledges have convinced me to continue with them.

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:

Amazon has plans to be 40% clean energy by 2024 and 100% clean by 2030. That is *exactly* the timetable that every person, business, corporation, state and nation on the Earth should be concretely planning for.

Amazon deserves credit and support for walking the talk and being a true leader. I had intended to drop my Prime membership with Amazon this year but their climate pledges have convinced me to continue with them.

Its actually 80% by 2024 and they are ahead of schedule.

https://sustainability.aboutamazon.com/?utm_source=incom&utm_medium=AtoZ&utm_term=AtoZ09182019&utm_content=sustainability092019

From July;

"And earlier today, the Solar Energy Industries Association’s (SEIA) 2018 Solar Means Business Report ranked Amazon #1 in the U.S. for amount of corporate on-site solar installed in 2018, and #2 for total amount of solar installed to date. And in just the last three-years alone, Amazon has installed more solar capacity in the U.S. than any corporation. In total, Amazon’s solar projects in the U.S. have offset the CO2 equivalent of more than 200 million miles of truck deliveries.

In addition to solar, we continue to invest in renewable energy projects around the globe. In total, Amazon has 61 operating solar and wind projects that are expected to generate over 1,044 MW and deliver over 3.1 million MWh of energy annually. We are putting our scale and inventive culture to work on sustainability not only because it is good for the environment, but also for the customer. It’s a win-win for the environment and our customers."

the 40% target you mentioned is supposed to be achieved within the next month.

You are correct is stating 80% renewable by 2024. I think this only relates to electricity. A fantastic goal nonetheless, and even more so when they convert their land transport to EV. Reading between the lines of their pledge, I'd say that they do not have a solution for air transport so they push that out to 2040 and mumble about "carbon neutrality."

More than fair enough for the next 5 years. Go Amazon !

SageBrush said:
You are correct is stating 80% renewable by 2024. I think this only relates to electricity. A fantastic goal nonetheless, and even more so when they convert their land transport to EV. Reading between the lines of their pledge, I'd say that they do not have a solution for air transport so they push that out to 2040 and mumble about "carbon neutrality."

More than fair enough for the next 5 years. Go Amazon !

Actually, they are off setting all direct and indirect emissions. The list is quite comprehensive.

To calculate Amazon’s carbon footprint, we account for a diverse set of direct and indirect emissions that occur both
upstream and downstream of our operations. We set a comprehensive system boundary that includes the following
emissions sources:

Amazon’s last-mile delivery fleet

Amazon-operated freight, including trucks and airplanes

Purchased delivery services (e.g., postal services) and other contracted freight

Electricity used in our fulfillment centers, data centers, physical stores, and other facilities

Amazon packaging

Amazon product manufacturing, such as Echo devices, Kindles e-readers, AmazonBasics, Whole Foods Market
brands, and other Amazon Private Brands products

Our customers’ use of Amazon devices

Capital goods, such as emissions from building construction, manufacturing of servers and equipment, and the
production of other Amazon infrastructure

Corporate operating expenses, such as business travel, office supplies, corporate events, outside consulting
services, and other expenditures

Customers’ trips to Amazon’s physical stores (e.g., Whole Foods Market)

Refrigerants used for cooling in our data centers, corporate offices, grocery stores, and fulfillment centers

Purchased delivery services (e.g., postal services) and other contracted freight

2018 emissions were 44.40 million metric tons with the largest category of 3rd party transportation at 13.89 mmt's Indirect sources account for 34.71 mmt's

To say I was impressed when I read this is understating my reaction. If they missed anything, I don't see it.

...and my new R1 will have Echo Auto factory-installed! No more blocking air vents and no more unsightly visible wiring! As a forever Prime member, I can’t wait to see the drone that delivers that truck to my driveway about an hour after I order it.

I think it is great that Amazon it going to electric vehicles. I think that our whole country should be moving in that direction.... And we still have not... Look at the few Nissan Leafs that are on dealer lots - after almost 10 years of EV production.

HOWEVER!!!!

We should be adopting electric cars because: We need to decrease our petroleum consumption... Plain and simple. Electric cars is a very simple and doable social change that we can do directly TODAY. So our country can decrease reliance on foreign oil.

And, at this point, EVs should be the ONLY reduction of petroleum use until vehicle transportation has changed to electric... "BANS" on any other sector is pure fantasy.

I think it is ridiculous that people are viewing this as a step against "climate change". We do not need to do any of this because of any "Paris Agreement", or anybody else telling us what to do. We should do this because we want to stop draining the earth of petroleum, our most valuable, and FINITE natural resource. When the oil stops - the world will go back to the 1860s... And steam will be our powerhouse energy source...

Back