The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even though the specs don't really reflect, both my wife and all 3 kids (we jam them in the back) said the same about the 19 leaf. It was modestly bigger than the 13.

We can fit large bags laterally now ,which we had to angle in before, so it might only be an inch, but the cargo is bigger.

I have ridden in the back (6'2" 210 pounds) a few times and find it quite comfortable compared to 13 Leaf.

gbrance said:
Personally I would go with a 50amp circuit to support a L14-50.

I actually ended up installing one of these Leviton L14-50 surface mount outlets:

55050_large.jpg

I had some leftover 4 gauge MC cable, so used that to make the run to a 40W circuit breaker.

Thanks for the explanation about JuiceBox features. I was looking at a similar Siemens product. Maybe down the road it would be worth looking at for me. The Leaf itself has a lot of the data and charge scheduling/notification features you mention, but I have no problem believing it might be easier to just manage all that with the JuiceBox. But for the time being I'll see how things go with the stock Nissan charger.

I took a look at my meter during my first Level 2 charge. Even with my grid-tie solar cranking out the amps, it was still pulling a fair bit off the grid. Figure that charger's pulling a good 7,200 watts of juice!

I just purchased my first EV. A 2013 Leaf. I have been researching the jump to an EV for a while and am excited to finally have one. Battery SOH shows 79% in LeafSpy, so I think I am doing pretty good. It will cover my average >40 mile daily travel with ease. I have seen several posts about looking at the build date on the door. What is the concern with older build dates?

jmkroff said:
I just purchased my first EV. A 2013 Leaf. I have been researching the jump to an EV for a while and am excited to finally have one. Battery SOH shows 79% in LeafSpy, so I think I am doing pretty good. It will cover my average >40 mile daily travel with ease. I have seen several posts about looking at the build date on the door. What is the concern with older build dates?

Please add a rough location to your profile.

First traction battery design had chemistry problems. Would lose capacity more than twice as fast as later batteries. Switchover was in the middle of 2013, later builds got a better traction battery.

Thank you LeftieBiker and WetEV.

LeafSpy is only reporting the battery temperature from three of the four sensors. My assumption is that sensor 3 is dead. Is there another way to check that? And how worried should I be about one of the sensors not reporting?

jmkroff said:
LeafSpy is only reporting the battery temperature from three of the four sensors. My assumption is that sensor 3 is dead. Is there another way to check that? And how worried should I be about one of the sensors not reporting?
The 2011-2012 had 4 sensors. The 2013+ had only 3. From the LeafSpyPro manual. http://www.leafspypro.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/LeafSpy-Help-1.1.1.pdf
Sensors Displays the three or four (2011/2012) battery pack temperature sensors.

We just picked up a Pearl White 2019 SV PLUS with All Weather Package this past Saturday. This is the 4th Leaf that we have leased from Nissan. I still constantly looking at the SOC, the percentage is not dropping as fast as before :lol: . It would be nice to have the ProPILOT, but we just could not justify the extra cost. The car does have Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC) which I did not know it has it, so it was a bonus. I used it a few times, works pretty well.

I did the first DC fast charge with the new car last night. It was a Nissan Branded 50 kW DC fast charge unit. The outside temperature was 68F and the battery temperature before charging was at 74F. It took 60 minutes to charge from 23% to 90%. ChargePoint reported 37.5 kWh was added.The car started to ramp down the power at SOC of 80%. At the end of charging session, the battery temperature was at 97.7F.

After driving for a few days, we really like the car, its a big improvement from the previous generation.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Even though the specs don't really reflect, both my wife and all 3 kids (we jam them in the back) said the same about the 19 leaf. It was modestly bigger than the 13.

We can fit large bags laterally now ,which we had to angle in before, so it might only be an inch, but the cargo is bigger.

I have ridden in the back (6'2" 210 pounds) a few times and find it quite comfortable compared to 13 Leaf.

Hatch area is bigger. I had job where I carried a lot of equipment. In my 24 and 30 kwh LEAF, it would be piled up to the back hatch glass. In the 2018, there is definitely more space in the back. Not much but it does look like the stretched it a bit since bags that could not sit parallel to the car can now do so.

Hi, I'm Eric and I'm a procrastinator...I met Lexie (Electric, but X'ier) in February and brought her home. She's a rare, 30 kWh 2016 S (maybe the assembly line ran out of 24 kWh packs before the model year ended). She sat on the lot a while--I think most assumed she was a 24 kWh version.

I live in the "sticks," a few miles off the pavement. My shortest, routine drive is 20 miles each way.

I'm in love! We did two camping trips this month and I'm completely hooked! Before the first trip, I craigslisted a temp spare from an '08 Maxima (and test-fit it on the front), and picked up a Harbor Freight scissor jack and lug wrench.

Smart move on the spare. I found one at a local junkyard but not until I had to take the bus home one day after getting a flat in the parking lot at work. Be careful with that scissor jack as a Leaf is a heavy car. Happy Trails!

My 2016 SL was delivered Friday! There is not much of a market here in Winnipeg so I had to buy it from Quebec and get it shipped. Really like it so far, though my wife has been hogging it :).

Kev994 said:
My 2016 SL was delivered Friday! There is not much of a market here in Winnipeg so I had to buy it from Quebec and get it shipped. Really like it so far, though my wife has been hogging it :).

Be prepared to have to buy another one. ;)

Hi everyone,
I bought a second hand 2015 Leaf about three weeks ago, and am still in the discovery phase, so thanks a lot for all the information around here. It's a 24 kWh battery as I'll mostly use it for my daily 2x30 km commute and some drive arounds in the weekend. I'm living in Ireland so given the size of the island it should be possible to go anywhere with some additional charging time (went from Cork to Dublin and back last weekend, not noticeably longer than with our previous car since we tend to take breaks easily). My work has free chargers for employees, so I'm planning on only charging at home on the weekends.

So far I love the car, since until now I've only ever had old noisy cars it's really a step up in comfort, and the drive itself is enjoyable. I especially like that the car is responsive to the pedal like in a manual drive (at least in B mode), as this is something that turns me off on automatics. The torque available at low RPM is also an interesting change, no need to gear down or wait for the AT to. Another thing I like, although not directly related to the car, is the fact that when charging on a public station we get to have some small talk with other users, love ghe feeling.

Still learning to get a feel of the range, so far I haven't found myself stranded so that's a good start ^^

I picked up our first EV ( 2016 Leaf SL with 21.5K miles) two weeks ago in St. Louis and rented a U haul car trailer for the 200 mile trip home.

The wife likes the ride over the 2010 base Subaru Forester as I do. It is the first year for the Deep Blue Pearl I read and we like the color very well. Since this is the first EV other than the Ezgo with regen there is some learning curve for sure. The car is quick and handles like a dream.

I ordered a L2 charger and added the required receptacle last week so that is a huge improvement over the 120v OEM option.

Welcome Gale! Personally, I think a 200-mile mission to drive your new Leaf home would have been a great adventure and shakedown cruise. Especially if you had a seasoned EV driver along and had your charging points all laid out. But glad you got her home and are learning the ropes. Home L2 charging is great, and finding all the local charge spots is fun. Get the Plugshare app and look around your neighborhood.

Back