New Owner - First EV = Leaf SL Plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update:

Just ordered wheels and winter tires for the Leaf. Posted here: http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&p=565886#p565886

Also did window tinting and clear bra: http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&p=565985#p565985

Might consider doing a horn upgrade at some point. Otherwise very happy with the car.

Good traction on is worth the loss in range. I live in the mountains and threw away the Ecopias the first winter they were just spinning on two inches of snow with a 15% grade. I have hit one deer already costing a couple thousand. I like decent tires and brakes

Oilpan4 said:
The winter tires may hurt your range.

I know. Not an issue though. We have way more range than needed. Bought the big battery for that reason, really.

What good is range if we can't drive safely in winter conditions?

It will be interesting to see how things shake out. As I wrote in the replacement tires thread, we'll have opportunity to test some things. First, the effect of the stock wheels vs the new ones, which are not as aerodynamic. That test is with the stock wheels under similar conditions to those we've had so far, so we should be able to isolate the new wheels impact pretty well. Second, how the winter tires fair under winter conditions on the stock wheels. The latter test has more than one variable, but it's one less than we'd otherwise have.

We're expecting winter range to fall off. Just not sure how far - 40-50% perhaps. We'll see. I do drive early in the morning and in the evening, so with our climate, that means cooler temps. Hence the winter tires...

Calaveras said:
Good traction on is worth the loss in range. I live in the mountains and threw away the Ecopias the first winter they were just spinning on two inches of snow with a 15% grade. I have hit one deer already costing a couple thousand. I like decent tires and brakes

Agree. We don't live in the mountains quite, but close enough. We've had enough experience to understand the value of great tires under slick conditions. You only have to avoid one accident a decade for them to pay for themselves with ample interest. So far, we've avoided 3 certain accidents, and perhaps a few others less certain in 20 years here. Heck, there's a 14% grade less than a mile from our house, and that's in town.

It's about having the right tools for the job.

Update:

We took our first longer drive with the Leaf last weekend - 130+ miles round trip to see our son in Ft Collins.

Temps mild, in the 80s, went via Boulder as we had a stop there to pick up the GTI, which had needed a new water pump. Mostly ex-urban driving on divided highways, some stoplights, but no interstate travel. Speeds 45-70mph. New wheels, less aero, stock tires running 40 psi.

We averaged 4.1 mi/kWh, down slightly from our usual 4.3. Returned home with 100 miles estimated range. Very glad we sprang for the big battery.

Drives and rides nice. For this sort of inter urban travel, a good alternative depending on how far you want to go.

Back